No Christmas Gifts So I'm Starting Picking A Fight!

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Well here it is: I don't get loud pipes. Yeah I said it and I mean it.

:poke: I hear HD's burbling along like they are moving a mountain and my Busa has more than twice the power and its pretty quiet mostly. Open her up and she lets out a roar, but why the noise when nothing is happening? I started my love for motorcycles as a 2-smoker. Those bikes needed back pressure in the exhaust so when you hears a loud bike you knew they were going to be slow! Yes, race bikes are loud, but they can get more air into the engine so they need to get it out. And most are designed for max combustion efficiency at WOT.

:poke: There is no proof that loud pipes are safer. In fact I have read several articles where they showed no effect at all on drivers attention. Let's face it, a driver who is texting wouldn't notice you if your pipes were stuck inside their windows! And the old lady (yeah, a lady my age) isn't going to bother looking behind her no matter what's back there.

:poke: Frankly, I love to slip out of my neighborhood unnoticed early in the morning, head to the back roads. Then people hear a wolf howling in the woods as I open her up. Something cooler about stealth. So I don't get people who say "I need a new exhaust, something loud". I can see "I need a new exhaust, something that adds power" or "something that is lighter".

:poke: The really fast guys are slick. They don't show off, image is secondary to real performance. It's sort of like those old westerns. The fastest guy in town was never looking for a fight. Guess if you are the fastest, there's no need to try and prove it?

Different strokes......

Same thing as kids buzzing Bye in them Subaru fast n furious cars. Me I prefer the sound of American muscle. I like to hear the engine lug and growl as you step on the gas.

Same thing with my bikes I had a yosh full exhaust on my Busa and it sounded ok but I wanted more grunt. Now I have that Ti-Force on her and when you get on the throttle it lets you know it! My Harley is the same way it’s got a nice rumble to it when you fire it up. Not stupid loud or obnoxious like some others I’ve heard. But has that muscle car tone to it then when you snap the throttle it growls.

Idk I’ve heard some Harley’s that are quieter than metrics and I’ve heard some straight no baffled ear drum piercing garbage. My HD lies somewhere in between.

I was expecting to piss someone off with this topic. You guys have been stuffing yourselves with turkey and ham or something!

My Brock CT Meg is LOUD , probably on the gas , as loud as 1340cc inline 4 can get , fitted with conventional-ish 4-1 pipe with muffler . It is okay burbling around , and even acceptable leading up to 'coming on cam' , but after that it is a snarling banshee wailing cop magnet . I have had it packed recently , because I had to replace the end cap , this helped a bit . In the pipes defense , you can get a quieter muffled version from Brocks . It is car anti social , by that I mean they know I'm there , even if they don't see me and it vibrates noise as I lane split . Between the pipe and the rotor chatter when I move slowly through traffic , I feel safer , because of all this noise . On throttle my bike is pretty far from stealth , I find myself behaving a lot more around town , and mostly only letting loose on my favorite roads . When I have had stop light drag races with mates , I leave them behind to deal with any cop issues :thumbsup:. I would prefer a quieter pipe , for stealthy fast riding , and just to keep a low profile in general . My last speeding fine was cop bike totting radar gun , and that cop said my bikes noise is what got his attention . I am thinking of swapping over to some other pipe for next Busa , and depending what path I take with mods , I may even put the new pipe on my L2 streeter and the CT on the 2nd Busa .

If loud pipes were to effectively give notice to other motorists they would be facing forward, not backwards. 80% of motorcycle accidents are between 11 and 1 (forward orientation) from the motorcycle's direction of travel. I once had an open pipe HD lane split between me an another vehicle and I was going 60+ mph. Scared the crap out of me when he blasted through. Had I heard him coming I may not have let him through (just being honest). Both my bikes are louder than stock but are drag bikes. My slow bike has a street Muzzy system that works just fine. The faster bike has a sidewinder of course.

I can’t handle a loud pipe for too long, so after trying some M4 retros, I switched to dual R77s and V&H dual header and left the baffles in. I liked it, but switched to an r77 full system when I installed the gsxr tail conversion and also left the baffle in place. It doesn’t give Brock HP, but the busa is plenty fast for me already. I like to be able to hear my music even with earplugs in. I though of getting a brock AH at first, but changed my mine after a few YouTube videos.

Last edited:
I love when people claim that loud pipes cant be heard in front of the bike because the pipes are not pointed forward. Can you not hear a loud stereo coming up behind you? A loud v8? Drag pipe v twin? How about a jet coming from behind...subsonic of course?!
Whatever. If loud works for u, great. If not, great. I have been pulled out in front of many many more times on quiet bikes than loud bikes period. Loud has def saved my ass more often than not. Quiet pipes would be nice during hooligan moments sure.
Troy

There definitely are pluses and minuses with both types of pipe noise levels . I have got to admit , when i'm out on the road and a tin top sits in fast lane blocking your travels or pulls out in front , I enjoy giving that bastard a bit of noise and acceleration scare . Probably not the best attitude for public relations , but possibly wouldn't be liked much anyway cos I choose to ride .

I love when people claim that loud pipes cant be heard in front of the bike because the pipes are not pointed forward. Can you not hear a loud stereo coming up behind you? A loud v8? Drag pipe v twin? How about a jet coming from behind...subsonic of course?!
Whatever. If loud works for u, great. If not, great. I have been pulled out in front of many many more times on quiet bikes than loud bikes period. Loud has def saved my ass more often than not. Quiet pipes would be nice during hooligan moments sure.
Troy

My thoughts are... why be loud if its not necessary? Why spend money to be loud? I think that some people want to think they own a top fuel drag bike... and WANT to be noticed... "look at me" syndrome... the same as those annoying ass fart can Subaru wrx sti kids... 90 percent of those cars are 13 second cars.... but soo loud and annoying u would think its 800 hp... I dunno... but look at the way kids are raised and taught nowadays.... they have a pop warner baseball game.. and EVERYONE gets a trophy.. even the losers... and they don't even keep score... its a new era guys... and ya gotta watch what u say... and be as liberal as possible... and don't hurt anyones feelings... just let the kids be idiots I guess.

I think most dudes choose the pipe they like , or can afford , and then find out afterwards that their choice is either loud or okay , and either get another pipe or live with it . I do know of a few blokes who chose loud pipes for their cruiser type motorcycles . I am not familiar with what younger people are choosing or why , but certainly any pricks racing around in poop heaps all hours sure piss me off .

The kids are OK, at least most of them. About the same ratio as us old asshats. They should have their time to be kids , like we did!

The kids are OK, at least most of them. About the same ratio as us old asshats. They should have their time to be kids , like we did!

Back