No art skillz....question?

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
I want to paint one shop wall a different color than the other 3. I would like to adorn said wall with a 6 foot tall kanji.

How would a dude with no free-hand art skillz get a GIANT kanji outline on to a wall.

If anyone says "Hire a artist" there's gonna be some blood shed. :laugh:

RSD.

Overhead projector

Or, get one of the cheaper toy quality TV projection boxes (the name slips my mind) but I picked on up at Kmart a while back for about $30. I think normal price is a bit more, but I'd be willing to bet one could find an old overhead projector for pretty cheap if they are still around.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/art/3850069827.html << Take a peek on Craigslist

Thanks boys...I didn't think there would be another way,but I was trying to cheap out.

RSD.

Checked my local "for sale" places. Craigs etc. Only 2 ads for them.... "Wanted" :banghead:

O well...what can ya do. :laugh:

RSD.

Used a projector. Works awesome. Make it any size you want. Trace and paint.
photo.jpg

Some of the members on here have some awesome shops (like yers). I'm gonna clean mine up a little,add some cool things. The wall was to be the beginning.

Like the Duke up there ^ suggested...:poke: I may just have to get an artist. These over-heads are like dinosaurs,they were everywhere at one time.Now,all gone. There are one or two artists in the family,maybe I'll hit one of them up.

RSD.

Were not talking the old school projectors here. Were talking one that will show movies. Very popular. Just hook ur laptop up to it and project ur image. Check your local Library sometimes they rent them.

Schools use them, salesman, professional societies, churches. Call some friends, someone has to have access to one. I don't want to hear one word about my frigging garage. It's actually used for something besides taking garage pics :moon:

Nice garage war69 :bowdown:

Very nice garage. WHERE'S ALL THE JUNK???

Also, what the heck kind of bike is that green one? Got a close up pic?

Thats my recumbent. Vision R45. I have storage in the basement. I hate clutter. Ignore the bike. It loves to get in the way.
IMG_1285_zps9987125d.jpg

Bots just painted a huge Kanji on his trailer with a plywood stencil. Not sure how he made the stencil, be worth a PM to see if he had something cut, vinyl maybe?

Take the largest image of a Kanji you can find, and draw a grid of squares over the Kanji. The smaller the grid, the more accurate it will be. Then, if your Kanji image is, say, one foot by one foot, and say your grid is one inch squares, then one inch on your Kanji will equal one foot on the wall. Draw the grid on your wall. Then, look at each one inch grid on the paper, and draw the lines that you see in that one inch grid on the one foot grid on your wall. If you can't accurately recreate that one inch square on your wall, you can always measure with your ruler to see where the Kanji crosses the one inch grid. Mark those dots on the grid on your wall, and connect the dots with straight lines. Once you have the straight lines, you can curve them a bit to finish the image.

The other idea to try is to take an image of a Kanji, and poke holes through it at close intervals. Then, take a bright light source in your dark garage, and place the Kanji between the wall and the light and then vary the distances between the wall, the Kanji, and the light source to see if you can get the Kanji to appear on the wall as a series of dots. If you can get it where you want it, secure the Kanji and the light source, and mark the dots on the wall. Connect the dots.

Last idea. Someone with a projector (and a transparent image of a Kanji) could trace the image onto whatever size paper you want, poke holes every few inches, and then ship it to you. You tape it to the wall, put some paint on a sponge, and tap every hole. Remove the paper and you have the outline. I have a projector, but can't figure out how to get that transparent image of a Kanji.

Take the largest image of a Kanji you can find, and draw a grid of squares over the Kanji. The smaller the grid, the more accurate it will be. Then, if your Kanji image is, say, one foot by one foot, and say your grid is one inch squares, then one inch on your Kanji will equal one foot on the wall. Draw the grid on your wall. Then, look at each one inch grid on the paper, and draw the lines that you see in that one inch grid on the one foot grid on your wall. If you can't accurately recreate that one inch square on your wall, you can always measure with your ruler to see where the Kanji crosses the one inch grid. Mark those dots on the grid on your wall, and connect the dots with straight lines. Once you have the straight lines, you can curve them a bit to finish the image.

No way Rubb can pull this off :rofl:

Last idea. Someone with a projector (and a transparent image of a Kanji) could trace the image onto whatever size paper you want, poke holes every few inches, and then ship it to you. You tape it to the wall, put some paint on a sponge, and tap every hole. Remove the paper and you have the outline. I have a projector, but can't figure out how to get that transparent image of a Kanji.

05 Busa...yer a smart dude. :bowdown:

Rubb.

Back