NO Air Filter

hayabusa317

Registered
Just had my bike rebuilt by Carpenter Racing. He did the original work, I bought it second hand.

He set it up with no air filter. I asked about that, and stated on street use it is not necessary. They would put it in if I wanted, but unless I was riding on dirt roads I would be fine.

Just putting it out there, and wonder what others thoughts are. Now I know I will get some responses of negative answers. I am keeping in mind these guys know motors more than even the semi seasoned mechanic.

He may be right but I would drop in a BMC race version instead of running with no filter.
I've seen enough dirt in my filters to know I don't want it running through my engine.

I would use a filter for street riding. Bugs,sand and debris might get in the injectors and engine.

I know where that particulate accumulates.....buy a filter. The guy that says you're safe is not a very smart dude. Here in the Pac. Southwest I even urge the HP crowd to run a stock element filter for engine protection, unless they're racing of course. One good windstorm and these heavy-breathers suck up quite a bit here in the desert. That's why I install a lot of stock filters on people's machines. A K&N requires maintenance(Many should have never installed one for that very reason), a BMC flows and for your type of airborne is fine. Listen to no more dingalings...... :oldcool:

Its there for a worthy reason...engine integrity. Unless of course they are hoping you wear the engine down prematurely so they can have you back in for another rebuild.

I am keeping in mind these guys know motors more than even the semi seasoned mechanic.
I'm sorry but no he doesn't.

If you've ever changed a dirty air filter you've seen the stuff it stops, all that stuff is nothing more than a fine honing agent that will eventually wear out your rings/walls, not to mention eventually a rock is going to get in there, I've found a couple in my airbox before.

I've got more credentials than anyone here cares to hear about, I promise you that air filter is necessary, and something like a K&N or BMC high flow filter will make no loss in power. I've tried it with car engines on a dyno.

aww come on... no filter helps seat the rings faster... :rofl:

Carpenter racing said it was ok to run without an air filter on the street?? This could generate a phone call...

I thing someone is spoofing here.... I thought those guys knew their stuff?

Last edited:
"if you are riding on the street and not dirt roads" How many of us cruise dirt roads on the Bus? I avoid dirt at all cost and I run mine with a filter. I would be very leery of running without protection. Then again, I wear a rain jacket in the rain so maybe I am just being over cautious? Keep her protected! :whistle:

I think it might have to do with the build of the engine (in his defense). If it's a very stout built engine then it's probably lot ridden to often on the streets and not for any long duration rides. In this case only, it may not be critical to run a filter. As professor already stated, I would stick a BMC race filter in it.

My bike is seldon seen on the streets and no I don't run a filter. For LSR racing I don't run one so I don't have a filter to stick in there. Hell my airbox is beyond large box mod and I would have to invent a filter system.

I don't know about the rest of North America but up here we have two seasons, winter and construction. It seems like this city is under construction pretty much from April to November and it is unavoidable. The crap, dust, gravel and mud that you ride through in these zones needs a filter. I can see track bikes missing a filter or the bikes that only sit in the garage/driveway and spend all their time looking pretty and polished and never actually running.

I think it might have to do with the build of the engine (in his defense). If it's a very stout built engine then it's probably lot ridden to often on the streets and not for any long duration rides. In this case only, it may not be critical to run a filter. As professor already stated, I would stick a BMC race filter in it.

My bike is seldon seen on the streets and no I don't run a filter. For LSR racing I don't run one so I don't have a filter to stick in there. Hell my airbox is beyond large box mod and I would have to invent a filter system.

Seems to make sense, I would toss a filter on unless you are doing LSR racing or as previously mentioned hardly any street riding. I would imagine if you do more then a tank worth of riding in a month that would be enough. And even that is small mileage.

Prime example why I don't use Carpenter for any work. After he ripped off a good friend of mine and wouldn't stand behind his work, I wrote Carpenter off.
No customer service and they don't stand behind their work... Bad news.

Prime example why I don't use Carpenter for any work. After he ripped off a good friend of mine and wouldn't stand behind his work, I wrote Carpenter off.

ummm....people are slowly learning.

ummm....people are slowly learning.

air filter is a condom for your motor! use it :poke:
I just can not believe any builder could even remotely suggest no filter... just does not make one bit of sense EXCEPT as posted above... to take advantage of "return" rebuilds... just amazing..

I like the condom reference... pretty apprapo..

(and no, we do not run filters on the drag boat or the Fuel cars... :laugh: )

Last edited:
They have to be able to make a engine reach the HP numbers they advertise. No air filter = more HP, however that engine is not going to last. I will keep mine in my airbox.

Back