NO Air Filter

Yup. I have never heard of ANY street engine not having a good filter. Racing (strip) enigines don't need one as you are not putting any miles on the motor at all, even after a few years of use. Now in cold winter air, you do not need a filter as the snowmobile companies have run tests, and there is so little particulate (dust etc.) in the air it really doesn't matter, but that is an extreme exception.
depending on how the car is setup, an air filter will make some run faster..

The air filter "cleans" up the air flow (turbulent to laminar), not just the air from particulates..

a carb exposed to the direct air flow can do a lot of stupid stuff from disturbed air. Turbulent air down the top of a carb just does not work as well.. not such a big deal on and FI motor..

Not sure why he would say that. Running with out a filter is just plain careless, and could cause you some serious problems down the road. Ever getr stuck behind a sand truck?

"if you are riding on the street and not dirt roads" How many of us cruise dirt roads on the Bus? I avoid dirt at all cost and I run mine with a filter. I would be very leery of running without protection. Then again, I wear a rain jacket in the rain so maybe I am just being over cautious? Keep her protected! :whistle:

No dirt roads??? Don't you ever watch the movies? I thought every Busa owner did 200mph down a farmers dirt road~!~ :lol:

I've known some old school racer types that ran with no filters on their cars and bikes for years on the street with no probs. I'd never do it, but I don't think a person would see any short term negative issues (except for freak events)..........although for sure you'd be shortening the engines life at least a little.

mice ate a big hole in it....so I pulled it

swore I was picking one up at the store...then they didn't have it

forgot a few times to look when I went to town...

now 11 years later...waiting for it to blow up so I can buy a new one.

I have rolled it a few times, smashed into the shed, done wheelies on it.

11years....still running. Same blades(never sharpened), no filter, 2 original tires(with probably 8o lbs of fix a flat in them), 2nd battery, original belts.

might even be the original oil. I know its atleast 5 years old.

I guess if it has be going that long, i would not change anything either, if ya change or added anything now something might go wrong, probably best just to keep on using it like it is. :thumbsup:

Back