Nitrous on a stock 08

BUSAnomics

Registered
Do you guys recommend a shot of nitrous on a stock 08 busa? If so, how much is enough to shoot without hurting her?

It all depends on how much fuel you can add. If you have an ECU editor or a PCV you should be good to 30-40hp shot on a fogger with fuel added. If you have no way to add additional fuel or monitor your air fuel ratio, then forget about it.

You haven't been doing to bad on that stock '08, but I figured if I posted in here the experts would jump in to toast me and you would get some answers :laugh:

Valve springs are the weak link. Any missed shift or backfire on spray bounces the valve off the piston and spits keepers. If your tune is perfect, then springs may (or may not) be ok for 40 shot. Typically if you bump the spring pressure to 55 or so, most people put in stainless valves at the same time. Spitting a keeper almost always results in a dropped valve and that typically destroys the head, wrecks a piston, wrecks the bore, bends the rod, and frequently bends the crank. For the small effort it takes to change valves and springs, I would recomend that first.

Rods are probably ok for up to 250 HP on spray with a good tune. Same witht he stock pistons. I have run an 80# and found the rod bearings were like new after a season, but that's pushing it.

Blocks on the GenII are weaker, and tend to split at the bottom of the web on turbos or nitrous at around 275 HP.

Oiling mods are key, and many can be done quite easily and without even removing the engine. Take it to a reputable engine person and thats the first thing they will suggest for even small shots of spray. Bumping up the oil pressure to 75 - 80, removing the balancer (saves oil) removing the damn cam chain tensioner (saves oil), choking the piston sprayers, choking the oil line feeding the cams... lot of little things that are a big benefit if you wish to keep your mains and rods intact. Talk to someone who knows the BUsa motor about oiling mods.

Nice sig Draco :thumbsup:

One thing to add. The keepers and springs may not have such a rough time if using nitrous in the upper gears and not the lower gears...but who does that? :laugh:

I took some stock springs out of a gen II with only 1200 miles on it, and measured less than 22 lbs of pressure. Get rid of them... Junk. The head is a much better head, but the Ti valves and micky mouse springs were a huge step back. Same thing with the cylinders. Junk.

Draco, you are one sharp young man! Thanks for the insight. I'll definitely pass it on.

Outlawbusa, I appreciate your insight too on this topic.

Dadof3, I'm not thinking about for one second putting that "spray" on my bike. I got a trigger friendly friend that's dying to use it. I don't wanna hurt my little "STOCK" scooter. And that's for damn sure!:laugh:

It all depends on how much fuel you can add. If you have an ECU editor or a PCV you should be good to 30-40hp shot on a fogger with fuel added. If you have no way to add additional fuel or monitor your air fuel ratio, then forget about it.

Thanks for the reply, boss! :thumbsup:

You haven't been doing to bad on that stock '08, but I figured if I posted in here the experts would jump in to toast me and you would get some answers :laugh:

I don't care what the experts say about you Robert! You'll always be my number 1 Hayabusa advisor!:poke::rofl:

Valve springs are the weak link. Any missed shift or backfire on spray bounces the valve off the piston and spits keepers.

Exactly how does that happen? When racing a car it is fairly easy to mess up and do a 1-2-1 shift or a 1-2-3-2. But on the bike you shift up, am I missing something?

So the valve train is also week for nitrous too?

I just changed the springs in mine, have a HTP spray bar set for a 48 shot. I guess we will know soon if it holds or not! :laugh:

hahahah, yes sir. I knew someone would ask... :D I log everything and am very cautious! Using ecu editor, adding fuel, removing a little timing etc. Making it rich to begin with and going from there. Now if I could get a good logger I would be happy. I have had my hands on 3 now, and only 1 has worked! Of course one I put on a customers bike.. :banghead: That's not very good odds for me! Justin says mine is the first he has seen bad, well now make that 2...

Alright because you're playing with dynamite :laugh: Don't wanna hear any crying up in here. Weather is cooling off and the fuel / air charge is about to magically become more dense and give you a little assdyno boost.

Back