Nitrous Blow Off Valve

Draco1340

Registered
Ever since I saw this video (years ago) I have always been concearned about nitrous explosions in the air box. This winter, I am planning on getting rid of my tank and using a fuel cell so that I can lie down directly on the airbox. Any thoughts as to weather I should try to run (multiple) straps over the air box, or perhaps create a blow off section on the side that rips out during explosions. Has anyone created a blow out wall?? I plan on running an 80 to 100 dry shot this spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
That happened when Brock was into the limiter and spraying off of the line. He had a Wet shot plumbed into the airbox and the fuel puddled inside the Airbox. Yes I have made blowoff lids a couple of years ago.

you think rupture disk may be enough? could fab those into plenum. or just an aluminum plate. a chassis shop could bend one up in minutes.

I remember seeing someone make a replacement air filter lid that had small springs on each mounting point so that excess pressure could be vented. You could make something similar. Just use longer mounting bolts or studs and put some washer and springs above the lid to hold it down.

For safety you might consider adding a second nitrous solenoid to lower the risk of any nitrous leaks.

A progressive controller drastically reduces the chances of that occuring (WOT and RPM) activated. Other than the one time we got wheel spin in Texas and auto shift went through 4 gears in a second, burning up an exhaust valve. Never had an issue with a 120 shot for two years. We use the NOS mini controller. Nothing happens until the throttle is pinned and a set RPM is reached and it turns the NOS off before the limiter.

Last edited:
I do run a progressive, and I have never had a nitrous backfire (that I knew about) during the 8 years I have been spraying, but laying down on the airbox without a tank just makes it that much more up close and personal...:whistle: Sounds like I could just RTV a thin aluminum plate to the side of the airbox for blow-off.

I do run a progressive, and I have never had a nitrous backfire (that I knew about) during the 8 years I have been spraying, but laying down on the airbox without a tank just makes it that much more up close and personal...:whistle: Sounds like I could just RTV a thin aluminum plate to the side of the airbox for blow-off.
I know from faith based thoughts, you will probably have one now. Bad things don't always happen to bad people. Now that you are thinking about it, so doing something might not be a bad idea. It's always when you start to fret over something, it actually happens to you. Karma or just inviting in a gremlin...300+ HP nos bikes are a ton of fun.

Last edited:
Using rubber fire wall plugs would work great. They can handle the heat and will blow out if installed properly.

Back