nitrous + air shifter

johnnycrash

Donating Member
Registered
I have a dry shot and a Cycle tek air shifter. The shifter system kills ignition for about 50 milliseconds to allow the shift to happen (like most kill box's).

Question: can I spray nitrous while using the air shifter? It looks like it could theoretically be a problem since fuel and N20 would still be supplied for the split second that the ingnition is dead, allowing the unburnt fuel to accumulate and then backfire upon re-ignition. Or does it all happen so fast that it doesn't matter?

I'm probably just being paranoid - but thought I'd check with you guys.

get your kill time as tight as you can and it will be okay but do that first.

How do you mount the shift cylinder with that kit ?
Did you drill and tap the motor mount bolt ?

(chevelle @ Jan. 16 2007,14:51) How do you mount the shift cylinder with that kit ?
Did you drill and tap the motor mount bolt ?
Yes. I like the stealth look of mounting the cylinder under the shifter, but this method looks like it provides more force on the shifter.

Support from Matt at Cycletek has been great.

shiftercylinder.jpg

1sec = 1000sec

your kill time is 0.005sec. Shouldn't make that much difference. You kill time may not even need to be that high. Keep lowering it until it doesn't shift under full power and then back it off a notch and it will be perfect.
all_coholic.gif

(johnnycrash @ Jan. 16 2007,15:27) Yes.  I like the stealth look of mounting the cylinder under the shifter, but this method looks like it provides more force on the shifter.

both methods work,but mounting it to the frame (motor mount) as you have,is the better of the 2

when i switched to the motor mount,i was able to reduce the kill time...i need to reduce it a little more

(chevelle @ Jan. 17 2007,15:10)
(johnnycrash @ Jan. 16 2007,15:27) Yes.  I like the stealth look of mounting the cylinder under the shifter, but this method looks like it provides more force on the shifter.

both methods work,but mounting it to the frame (motor mount) as you have,is the better of the 2

when i switched to the motor mount,i was able to reduce the kill time...i need to reduce it a little more
I am going to reduce the kill time - but finding a time to test ride now is going to be hard - it's like 16 degrees here right now.

Bike goes in for dyno and mapping Saturday - got a new Dynojet hub to run two maps - will post results in a week or so (seperate thread).

Thanks to all that responded to my original question.

I run NOS using my MPS autoshift box all the time and never had a problem. Like GC said make sure the kill time is as short as possible and you won't have to worry.

You can set shorter kill times by keeping airline as close/short as possible from Air selenoid to Ram piston.
Using -2an SS lines will help w leaks/breaks in regular plastic lines....not to mention looking trick too!

Horizantally mounted piston work just as well as with abit more PSI 130-140 vs Vertically mounted ones- at 120psi

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

That is a nice setup, Black051k. After seeing that I'm going to have to switch to that 2AN tubing - that looks awesome!

Thanks,

Using -2 an (28") SS lines from Bottle/reg. in trunk area to Air selenoid right behind battery box then (15")SS -2 line to Ram.

First ride of the year - and first ride trying the air shifter with a little less kill time. No backfire and it worked like a charm. Today was the first time I used the shifter and the nitrous at the same time, too. With a 45 shot (approximately) and stock wheelbase it was pretty exciting -
wow.gif

The swingarm comes home from the polisher next week - and then it'll finally be done.

Gixx1300R, that is one sweet setup!

Back