Ninja 250 problems

Mason357

Registered
I have a 2010 ninja 250 that won't get spark. I can touch a battery to the coil terminals and get spark but, with the wiring connectors on the bike I connect a volt meter to the plug lead and ground it reads 12v I dont think it should read when it's not cranking. The crank sensor was good when I tested it. Don't know how to check the coil,wires to coil, ic ignitor etc. Any advice would help alot.

Ps. When I got it together it started a few weeks ago no gas but,used starting fluid.

What is the battery voltage during cranking?

If your not getting 12 volts during cranking the coils will not fire!

I'm guessing you've taken the simple things out of the equation like the clutch switch and the side stand safety switch? If one of those is bad,the bike will crank,but not start.
If its not one of the simple things,then it could be the cdi not signaling,improper gap at the magnetic pick up,coil wire,etc etc.

I'd start simple,work up from there.

Has the bike been sitting? Did it die on the road or get parked and then just not start? Has it been sitting outside allowing corrosion to form in one of the switches?

RSD.

Also just try one fix at a time. If you jump several things at once,you wont find the culprit.

RSD.

Its been sitting for years in a building but it started a few weeks ago with starting fulid now nothing.

Its been sitting for years in a building but it started a few weeks ago with starting fulid now nothing.

Sounds more like a fuel flow problem. The number 1 killer for starting a bike that has sat.

If starting fluid got it going,why are you checking for spark?

RSD.

They use 2 Keihin carbs dont they? Pull those,clean 'em and see what happens. Tell us how "green" they are. :laugh:

RSD.

Does anyone know what readings I should get from the 8 wires to the cdi volts,contnuty to ground,etc.I have a diagram but, still can't locate the fault, still don't think the plug wire should read 12v to ground ign on not cranking could be wrong.

Wiring diagram:

Ninja_250R_Wire_Dia_v1.1.jpg

Back