night riding

Bottom line is, you're not going to be able to ride as fast at night and if you try to, you're just being stupid.

What you experienced on your ride is normal. Just go slower at night.

In the MSF course, they point out that you can go "faster than your headlight." That means that you have a certain amount of reaction time for braking or maneuvering. If you're headlight reaches out a certain distance and you are riding so fast that you are covering that distance in the amount of time it takes to react to a problem you will NEVER be able to avoid it.

--Wag--

that means Hayabusas REALLY DO travel faster than the spped of light! Right! See I KNEW it!

IF you can't see  
SHOCKED.gif
through the turns, YOUR OVER DRIVING YOU LIGHTS AND BIKE ! The ONLY way to change that is to get MORE light out there. Try HID's, but if your not able to see where your going BEFORE you can stop, SLOW DOWN.

This from an ALL NIGHT rider  
beerchug.gif

get a small set of piaa driving lamps mount them on the caliper bolts aim them down and out it will light up alot of dark area and help you see the corners ! combined with hid !
beerchug.gif
it will also help you be seen better

I ride to work in the dark every morning. Silver stars and adjust em up and you should be good. slow down in the turns. if you wreck no one will see ya until daylight

HID's are a must and definately watch for objects in the road. All it takes is one little racoon to make the rest of your life painful!!
wow.gif

No matter how good your lighting you will still miss fine gravel or light sand in the road.

Slow down in the corners  - drag a knee in daylight.
cool.gif

Do Deal's Gap at night. That place will definitely teach you to slow down once the sun drops below the horizon.

Riding at night can be fun and enjoyable. Just make sure you keep things to a pace that doesn't exceed your night riding abilities. No matter how much light you have on the road, you will never be able to see through the corners at night with headlights of any kind.

I'm glad this post came up. I thought is was just my bike that was not lit well for taking turns at night. After wrecking my bike, thought is was some adjustment problems with my headlight. I am going to move to hid's soon.

(MC MUSTANG @ Jan. 12 2007,09:07) When I ride at night - I find myself riding much more slowly and taking any turns much less aggressively, regardless of lighting - just have to be much more cautious.
Same here. Way too many deer in my neck of the woods to ride safe after dark. I know that in a battle between a deer and me, the deer will win every time. Don't like those odds!!! Plus (as already mentioned) too easy to out drive your lights!

Hated the low beam "flood" light. On a bike I like a spot light beam on the ground ahead of me so I switched the two wires in the connecter under the left side dash & reaimed them. Also upped the bulb wattage in the top light. Am happy with the results as I like to ride the Busa at night. Its just to friggin hot of a ride during 90 degree days here in south FL. I ride a v twin during the day & get a lot more air.

If anyone wants to try this here's the how to:
Simple deal. Remove the left side dash. Unplug the 6 pin connector & change the yellow & white wire positions. Everything functions as before except the lights are switched.

Its ok to slow down at night. Too much going on that you can't see, even if you've got great lights. Slow down at night. Just my 2 cents.

My headlight does me no good when I am going faster than the speed of light.

Unless you can mount the SUN on the front of your bike...you need to slow down at night...period.
all_coholic.gif

My stock lights work just fine.I ride alot day and night.You are just not used to riding at night,you just have to be more careful and not rail.Practice always helps.

Back