nhra rules

fast08busa

Professional Pilot kinda sorta
Registered
Anyone know exactly what safety tech is required to run on a nhra track?

i dont know all of the stuff but at the drag strip i go to you need a kill switch on the bike. basic safety inspection with tires and such with a chain guard as far as i know. you have to have a 1 piece or a 2 piece that zips together and leathers that cover the ankle ithink with boots that do the same. helmet and gloves. leathers are if you are going over 120 i think it is..... im sure there is more related to the bike than i can think of but ive never been turned away and mine is basically stock.

The big things for NHRA are 1) physical, 2) reinforced safety lanyard, and 3) gloves with reinforcements in palms.

well the questions i have are

1.) what do i have to have safety wired.
2.) I know i do need to have a tethered kill switch.
3.) Stock length bike do i need a longer chain guard?
4.) Do i have to have a full or two piece suit or just a jacket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

all depends on where u run. call the track and ask them. ive been to some that require everything and been to others that would let you run in shorts and a t shirt.

As far as I know, you dont need anything safety wired. You do need-
teather
chain guard(stock ok if no stretch)
leather gloves
over the ankle boots
leather suit with 360* zipper if its a 2 pc after 10.99 or 120mph
note: alot of tracks will let you run with textile or just a leather jacket, jeans -take the advice and make a call just so you know for sure.
Also these are IHRA rules, for sportsman et bike- NHRA likely the same.
Heres a link to Ihra rulebook.
IHRA Rule Book 2010 IHRA Rulebook

I run at Englishtown. I believe that there is no more speed restriction. It was if you went faster than 125 mph you had to have full leather. Also if you go under 10 seconds you must have NHRA license. I tried once to run in a textile jacket with body armor and was told NO!!!
The 1st 2 things the look at are the Snell or DOT rating on your helmet and you must have a teathered kill switch . leather gloves, over the ankle boots. Those are the most basic things they look for.

Raceway Park in Indy,

I've seen people with textile, Not sure of there times? Guy was on a 600.

Leather gloves, jacket and High top boots. Require leather pants if you go over 120mph.

And also require NHRA license if your in the 9's.

They haven't checked the rating of my helmet.

And I haven't put the tether on my bike yet.

This all from Test and Tune nights.

They probably inforce the rules more at a race.

Jet

Thanks for all the replies! Im going to be posting pics shortly, kind of a work in progress would like some feedback.

tortilla flats 008.JPG

Back