Next big mod save 4.5 pounds

c10

Registered
http://shop.yoshimura-jp.com/en/product/syousai.php?id=1488

Gain 3/4 gallon of fuel for extended touring , and use me existion fuel cap . I was toying with idea of buying another steel tank to cut / modify to hold 1 to 1.5 gallons more fuel ( aka mohawk tank done on many other models ) . I think this would just be trick , and leave it raw / mild polish not mirror . No worries of scratches , but just buff off ;)
I'm currently a 1/3 saved for wheels . I think this tank is 1200 bucks , but cant find a current price .

Could end up looking kind of hoakey ~ like this stereo in a fuel tank cover *

man... lookin homemade.... like those "sand and spray" bikes with paint all over the frame and clutch cover... ever see those "stolen bike" paint jobs?

http://shop.yoshimura-jp.com/en/product/syousai.php?id=1488

Gain 3/4 gallon of fuel for extended touring , and use me existion fuel cap . I was toying with idea of buying another steel tank to cut / modify to hold 1 to 1.5 gallons more fuel ( aka mohawk tank done on many other models ) . I think this would just be trick , and leave it raw / mild polish not mirror . No worries of scratches , but just buff off ;)
I'm currently a 1/3 saved for wheels . I think this tank is 1200 bucks , but cant find a current price .

I have found companies that have storage tanks scattered all along the roadways that hold extra gas and you can actually purchase some en route. saves weight. One is called "Shell", maybe a reference to this cover, another is "Chevron. ;<)

I looked into those a little while ago and all I could find showed they were 1,900-2,100 bucks. I they are great looking pieces though!

Now on laptop keyboard . My current avg range to empty is 264 miles at 48 mpg ( 5.5 g ) on ocasions in mountains with wife we manage 51 mpg giving me nearly 280 to empty . However on super slab at higher speeds my mpg is 43 to 45 ( 75 to 80 mph ) wind direction dependant so I still have over 200 mile range to empty .
I could buy two gen two tanks , and cut/weld to make one larger tank by .75 to 1.25 additional gallons without it looking out of line on the bike . That would run say $250 to 300 bucks . My time value / parts/materials lets call that another 300 . The big price is profesional matching paint ( not maco or rob down the street paint for $100 ) I'm talking like it was never done paint were no worries of gas spill = paint peeling off .
That kind of work with the pearl metallic in my OEM black that reflects blue in the light will run 700 to a grand
I know some very talented bike painters , and that's the price . So at end of day its 1300 to 1600 for a worked heavier tank . I'll admit 2 k might be more than I want to do currently , but Kids are grown up . I cant take it with me ;)

Bailey I get your poke at fuel stations , but I roll to a different beat when traveling big distance .

C10 take a look @ these guys if your looking for extended fuel range. A lot of the Serious Diehard long distance motorcycle riders have custom auxiliary tanks made for competing in rally’s

http://www.firecreekacc.com/qt-price.htm#top

Not gonna lie..... I seriously considered that Yosh tank :drool: But that was right around the time I started getting more into modding my Harley so my toy war chest $$$ was being depleted constantly bye that instead

The yosh tanks are amazing! I have wanted one ever since I saw the X-1. I have only ever seen one for sale on the oRg, and I hate that I couldn’t buy it. 2k and 6 months sounds about right.

Now on laptop keyboard . My current avg range to empty is 264 miles at 48 mpg ( 5.5 g ) on ocasions in mountains with wife we manage 51 mpg giving me nearly 280 to empty . However on super slab at higher speeds my mpg is 43 to 45 ( 75 to 80 mph ) wind direction dependant so I still have over 200 mile range to empty .
I could buy two gen two tanks , and cut/weld to make one larger tank by .75 to 1.25 additional gallons without it looking out of line on the bike . That would run say $250 to 300 bucks . My time value / parts/materials lets call that another 300 . The big price is profesional matching paint ( not maco or rob down the street paint for $100 ) I'm talking like it was never done paint were no worries of gas spill = paint peeling off .
That kind of work with the pearl metallic in my OEM black that reflects blue in the light will run 700 to a grand
I know some very talented bike painters , and that's the price . So at end of day its 1300 to 1600 for a worked heavier tank . I'll admit 2 k might be more than I want to do currently , but Kids are grown up . I cant take it with me ;)

Bailey I get your poke at fuel stations , but I roll to a different beat when traveling big distance .
I would be afraid of welding two tanks together. Aren't they a dual wall construction? Depending on the year of your bike I can match the black paint quite well with the blue mica. My cost on the materials would be about $75.

Kml runs a Gen 1 version , his is polished and nicely striped , really nice piece ( there are pics on the Org. of his tasty feature packed machine , I am having trouble posting pics of it .
As mentioned by others , I also find the Yoshi tanks very desirable , Webike have Yoshimura on sale at the moment , I just scored something at record low price from Yoshi ! Go for it C10 , be just perfect for RJ's setup .

I met a Ducati guy who road his bike all the way to VIR from AZ! He had a couple fuel cells and an electric pump to transfer without stopping. He also had a lean map he used for slabbing.

The BMW has a very complicated (of course it's complicated) plastic fuel tank. It is woven all around the top of the bike and the shape you see is just plastic panels. HAs a lot of fuel and a lot of it is held low in the frame rather than up on top of it. Good idea but the fuel gauge never shows 100% full because of all the nooks and crannies for gas to hide. Still, putting that fuel low would be cool. So in addition to lightening the bike you could better distribute weight too.

I have seen that bike in Google searches before very nice set up.
As a fire / life Saftey guy, and one bad experience with a fuel transfer system I just want one tank. No aux or switches to fool with.
My FJR1300 was near perfect 6.6 gallons but my brother's st 1300 with 7.1 man he could go 350 and Fjr1300 would do 303 to empty.

Sad thing is that the concours, which is a “sport touring” bike, only holds 5.8gls!! Not sure what the hell kawasaki was thinking. The damn thing is already a land barge and weights a ton, just put a big fuel tank on it.!!

Back