Newby to both Busa's and this forum...

Ketchmi

Registered
Good evening all, a couple of quick questions to get started. I just bought a 2k Busa that had been laid down "gently" on the left side. It has 32k miles on it and I got it for a price I couldn't turn down.

I haven't even started it yet, have a new stator cover to install first. I have been wanting one for quite a while. I own a 96' Triumph Daytona 1200 that has 160hp after pipes and carb work but it weighs a solid 500#. It's a fantastic bike but just isn't enough to make me see god. I will keep it because it's just too cool and a low mile, beautiful carbed 1200 with an attitude. I got the Busa to ride the wheels off of. Of course it is really hard to mod the Triumph, parts just are not available. The Busa on the other hand has just about everything available.

A bit of history, I am just getting back into bikes but have a long past history of riding. I put 4500 miles on the Triumph last summer, kinda' hurt to do that to a 5200 mile original 96'...

Most of my riding will be higher speed extended cruising. I am not a quarter miler nor do I plan on doing any track days, I just want some horsepower to travel/play with. I build Porsche's during the day and have built many 220+mph capable street legal cars. I am getting a little jaded I guess, it's easy to have a daily driver with mild manners & A/C with 600+whp. I am not easy to please horsepower wise...

What kind of mileage can I expect out of the engine? If I need to rebuild it, it will get a big bore kit w/cams & head work at a minimum. Are good rods or any crank work needed for just the big bore kit? If it runs well I was just going to ride it this summer then figure out what to do with it this coming winter. I am very familiar with boost and that could also be an option.

The previous owner told me that it would kick out of gear so I located a low mile trans to swap into it. Should I have the dog teeth backcut for a stock engine and will it be necessary after the overbore? Everything else looks pretty good on the bike for the mileage. It was burgandy/silver but I found a carbon fiber body kit for it. It will not be flashy, just to ride. A total turn-around from my screaming yellow Triumph...

Probably enough questions for my first post. I am also looking for a carbon RS3 left side can and a carbon fiber front fender if anyone has them lying around gathering dust.

I was seriously considering getting a new Busa but with the mods I wanted to do, new just wasn't smart. I am trying to keep this build somewhat low-dollar since I am starting with a high mile bike that will never be worth a lot. I can tell it would be too easy to get way upside down in this and I just want a nice rider.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

As for cutting the 2nd gear, definitely do it since you already have to separate the cases. That's the gear a lot of owners find rounded off and have to send it in to be cut down, might as well do it now.

There's several members on here with 60k+ on the engine and still running strong, 32k isn't bad at all.

Check the classifieds, someone had a CF front fender listed in there a week or so ago.

The Busa will take you "to see God" and beyond if you're not careful. Sounds like you have some go fast speed experience, but you'll still need to respect her power and abilities, do that and she'll be all she can be for you and more.

Check out any of the board sponsors here Hayabusa.oRg - .oRg Sponsors they can assist you w/ your exhaust and CF front fender.

:welcome: to the org!

It will be interesting to see what you come up with since you like performance engines...:welcome:

Hey, Dave! Welcome to the .oRg!

Your 32k mile doesn't qualify as 'high' mileage. Hardly getting warmed up! :laugh:

We have some peeps on the board with well into six digits on Gen1 'busas.

I agree with your decision to get a Gen1 for modding, etc., as it (the Gen1) had a 10-year essentially unchanged run and there are gobs of parts available on every street corner.

As far as all the other technical stuff...it seems that the 'search' button is going to become a great friend for you.

There's more information packed into this site than you could imagine.

Best wishes, and congrats on buying a piece of machinery which will earn your heart.

:beerchug:

Scar

Last edited:
From what I can see, 200-220rwhp would be about the limit for rideability N/A. If anyone knows how to get more and still be able to ride it daily on pump gas and start easily I would love to hear about it.

This will be the first build I have done in a long time that parts are readily available. I am used to making what I need for limited production machines. I am really looking forward to it!

Never having ridden a bike with an extended swingarm, how do they handle/ride? I can see the benefits for drag but would ride comfort with a properly upgraded rear spring improve? I would also think that it would hurt turn-in but would like to hear it from someone with experience.

Thanks,

Dave

Welcome :)

Dude, if you take care of the regular maintenance you could easily get many hundreds of thousand miles out of a Busa engine. It's a tough tough engine.

:welcome:

There is a great wealth of knowledge here to guide you here!

:welcome::welcome:
:welcome::welcome:

To the .Org mate! good to have another GEN1 rider~ these GenII's are quickly overcoming us!

I'd definitely recommend staying N/A- these guys know so much more than I do but it sure seems with my 2007 that I have all the get'up'n'go I need :D

:beerchug: Welcome!

Welcome...
To answer some of your questions...

Riding on an extended arm depending on how extended only really changes turning range.
If you're not a twisty road kinda guy, go for it.

You build 220mph Porsche's... 220mph is def a different ball game on a bike, you'll probably be happy as anything w/ a 200hp NA motor, if not, Nitrous is always a cheap thrill.

I would def recommend bigger clutch springs and other trans upgrades if you plan on building up the motor, and since it already has an issue, why not?

Back