Newbie question...

Aquaman

Banned Permanently By MC Mustang
Some of you may know that I profess to be a Harley rider for a long time,so I am not very 'Hip' on the sport bike thing,but I certainly did my homework on the 'Iron' and I will also on the 'Plastic'!!
smile.gif
J/K
A newer friend this summer had told me about the BUSA,and instantly without even going on a Google search for Hayabusa,I wanted one,and now I have my 2006. (course it is winter here now)

I have read a little about this Slider install thing.
Am I missing something here?
I have a $30,000.00 custom I built and never had these things on it,and have never dropped it or layed it down.
So why will I need them on my brand new Busa?

Is there something I need to know that my friend didn't tell me???
I'm being serious here...

<!--EDIT|brendanp
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134438492 -->

Bottom line......Busa's are asphalt magnets. Just my opinion. [/QUOTE]
I apreciate the quick reply's guys,but when you say asphalt magnets,are you talking about just 'tipping' over cause of a crappy kickstand,because I cant see sliders saving anything on a 50+ mile per hr dump...

Your Harley has the benefit of a locking kickstand. The Busa does not. There are MANY cases of careful owners that have spent $$$$ replacing a side fairing motor covers upper fairings mirrors and levers form a 0MPH fall over that happened while they weren't even there. A slight roll forward is all it takes for Gravity to do her thing. There are No Drill Sliders available the look very nice. I have a set and they are now available from a vendor on this site. You won't have to import your from Belgium like I did should you go that route.
I have a Harley as well so I know why you are asking. I was crash free for 20 years until I got the Busa. It wasn't the Busa's fault, It was mine. I thought my Softail was fast and that I could handle anything. She taught me otherwise. My sliders saved me $1200 at a minimum!

Sliders will keep your bodywork from getting ate up in a slow or stopped drop. Busted plastics can total a new bike.......

Bottom line......Busa's are asphalt magnets.  Just my opinion.
I apreciate the quick reply's guys,but when you say asphalt magnets,are you talking about just 'tipping' over cause of a crappy kickstand,because I cant see sliders saving anything on a 50+ mile per hr dump...[/QUOTE]
The kickstands are ok although there is a mod for them.  The sliders will save from a tip over or a moderate speed crash.  I'm not sure about +50 mph.....  On a tipover, you can easily spend +$500 in repairs....

Sliders are very worth it.  When mine fell over, my sliders were on order..... they came in like 2 days after I needed them!  DAyuuuum!

<!--EDIT|Devil Dog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134439452 -->

I thought my Softail was fast and that I could handle anything. She taught me otherwise. [/QUOTE]
Ok,agreed,but the difference in the speed of the harley vs. the speed of the Busa,IMO,those sliders aint gonna do very much to save the body panels of the bike.
I mean,a stock Harley will do at least 90-100 mpr (being a little conservative here),and at that speed,I dont see much saving anything!!
I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ here either,just trying to get a little education on if I need to buy these or not.
If it's a kickstand issue,which I wuz told by my dealer that it has been resolved,(but judging by the geometry of the kickstand,it definately is an accident waiting to happen still),I am just trying to see thru this.

Please be paitent while you guys/gals drill this into my head!!! LOL

You don't "need" them, but in the unlikely event you drop your bike you will be "very" glad you had them................

the sliders will not "save" your panels from scratches...or even the side cases from getting cracked.
they will decrease the amount of possible damage...providing your bike falls the right way.
bar-ends,clip-ons,mirrors,exhaust and all plastics still have the potential for damage wtith the sliders installed.
the function of the sliders is to protect the frame from being comprimised in any way (i.e. scratches/dents).
A blemish to the chassis is when the insurance companies make no acceptions to a bike getting totaled.
any ins. company that totals your bike over palstics just took you for a ride.

anyone with sliders installed care to lay their bike on it's side and take a few pix?
wow.gif

I think the reason no one uses sliders on customs and HD's is you rarely (if ever) see a rider dragging-a-knee around a turn on one of these beasts. And if someone did, it would sure looks funny!
laugh.gif

IMO the slider isn't there to protect the fairing (although it helps somewhat), but rather what's under the fairing; frame, engine, radiator, etc.

Back