Newbie question on lowering

whiskerygoofy

Registered
Going to pick up a new Busa on Saturday, out of state. My inseam is 30-31", therefore want to lower it immediately. My local dealer says just lower the back by 2". He said "dogbones" are for rear, and if you want to lower the front, have to use "straps" or different set up on the triple tree clamps? I have read on the board of others who imply they lowered 2" front and back. How is the best way to accomplish this. If you only lower the back, doesn't that throw off the set-up on the bike a little. Appreciate any pointers on what to do. I DO need to lower it to be flat footed. Thanks in advance.

well the way the busa's tripple tree is designed you will need to get an after market one $175-250, to slide the forks through it...
if you only want to lower it by 1 inch, which i suggest so you dont bottom out, is get some pingel risers for $50 for the stock tree, and dog bones for the rear.

here is a pic of the risers installed on my bike.
you can see the silver spacers about an inch big, between the top clamp and the bottom clamp.
there are even those who have made their own for less than 50...
oh and i dont suggest riding on the street with a strap...
hope this helps

HPIM0847.JPG

Speedemon, I am a little slow on the uptake. You saying I do not need the $175-200 item, instead a "pingel" riser, lower one inch in front and 2" in back w/ dog bones? Due to short arm length, had planned on heli risers, can I still do this w/ "pingel"
rock.gif

Thanks, Larry

Speedemon, I am a little slow on the uptake. You saying I do not need the $175-200 item, instead a "pingel" riser, lower one inch in front and 2" in back w/ dog bones?  Due to short arm length, had planned on heli risers, can I still do this w/ "pingel"
rock.gif

Thanks, Larry
If you get the pingel risers you will NOT need a new tree...
You will also not need the heli's bec the pingel risers do both; they lower the front of the bike and raise the handle bars closer to you.
Like I said before, I would only lower it about in inch front and REAR, other wise you will bottom out.
If the one inch down isn’t enough then get a Tobin seat or simply just cut some foam out of your seat to sit lower down.
I have the same inseam as you and when I lowered it an inch I was comfortable, after I got the Tobin seat I was even more comfy, at the same tie even with just an inch lower I have bottomed out once, so be careful.

This is a triple tree that allows you to lower the front.
$165.00 give or take $$

Triple_tree.jpg

Well, I am back again. lol. Want to make sure b/4 I order bunch of stuff. Called Pingel, they said the bushing only raises 1", does NOT bring any more "pull back". Contacted "heli bars", they assume theirs will work on top of Pingel bushing, but not sure. If it does work on top of Pingel, then going to be elevating several inches?? I am not sure that is the way to go. Any experience? I do need to pull back a little.

Also, Pingel said their dog bones for rear are 1 1/2" and 3" slot. Speedemon, you recommended only 1" in back. Which bones did you use? I am really confused on the front end as to what and/or combination to buy. Thanks guys (and gals)

Well, I am back again. lol.  Want to make sure b/4 I order bunch of stuff. Called Pingel, they said the bushing only raises 1", does NOT bring any more "pull back". Contacted "heli bars", they assume theirs will work on top of Pingel bushing, but not sure.  If it does work on top of Pingel, then going to be elevating several inches?? I am not sure that is the way to go. Any experience? I do need to pull back a little.

Also, Pingel said their dog bones for rear are 1 1/2" and 3" slot. Speedemon, you recommended only 1" in back. Which bones did you use? I am really confused on the front end as to what and/or combination to buy. Thanks guys (and gals)
i use vortex links for the rear, they are 1.25 so its close enough.
the pingel risers do not shorten the reach...they do raise up the handle bars by an inch, meaning you are sitting up a little straighter.
so for a shorter person they would have to lean LESS with the risers, so it doesnt bring them back but it makes the reach easier.
you want to do either the helis or the risers, not both, your brake levers/resavoir and clutch resavoir will hit the windscreen in a full turn.
i have a db windscreen and nothing touches but its close.
using the pingel risers will deff make it easier to reach them if you have short arms, for a reg person it will let them sit up straighter than stock.
hope this helps

Just lower the rear to start and see how that works. If not, use the Reaper Risers (same thing as the pingel, but prolly cheaper.

HBR, who makes your triple tree in your pic?  Use to live in Columbia, beautiful part of the country.
Weather is nice, but the roads are no fun.

Tree is Yani Shinki?? Try the merchadise section here- 1320 had some he was selling.

I don't believe you would need the Pingles with Heli bars.
I think the Helis look weird.....any top tree w/ no clip ons where they should be is different.

Back