Newbie-ish in the UK

Rosso

Registered
Hi to everyone!
Im new here. But I want to say thanks to everyone for making this such a great resource for busa riders.

I have read a few threads on here about newbie riders and the busa. My situation is similar, but not the same. I rode a bike (125cc) in my 20s for about five years. Im now in my mid 40s and have been driving cars ever since. I'm definitely not a wild kid any more. I recently started looking for a touring bike. I checked out the BMW K1200LT and while its a gorgeous bike, it just seemed to heavy and massive for me (Im 5.7 tall) and most of the time I have to contend with London traffic. Then looking around for an alternative, I started to see lots of people saying that the busa makes a great touring bike. I went to see one, and really fell in love with it. It gives me that feeling of fitting just right, in terms of size, weight, shape, ergonomics etc. So Im planning on getting one!

Now having read the wise advice about not having a busa as a first bike (which I wholly agree with). Im wondering whether you guys think the same advice should apply to me? Although I have some experience, I know for sure that there is a hell of a lot I dont know about riding.

This is how Im approaching it. Ive signed up for the week long BMW riders residential course in Wales. And Im also going to take an advanced riders course immediately afterwards. Im planning on riding the bike in its lowest engine mode to begin with too.

So, do you think the busa is a foolish and dangerous choice. If not, are there any practical tips or advice you would give me?
Thanks
Rosso

:welcome: To the ORG.
The Busa is a great bike but I would not want to contend with traffic all day.
I ride everyday and love this bike more and more. It's the bike that just keeps on giving and gets better all the time.
I also have begun to do long rides and twisties and I can't think of another bike that I would rather have.
It does get a little warm in traffic but I would never say the Busa is a bad choice.
Ride safe and have fun.
Bubba

I ride everyday and love this bike more and more. It's the bike that just keeps on giving and gets better all the time.
I also have begun to do long rides and twisties and I can't think of another bike that I would rather have.
It does get a little warm in traffic but I would never say the Busa is a bad choice.
Ride safe and have fun.
Bubba

+1 to the warm in traffic. LOL

You're far better off getting a smaller bike to learn on, but you seem to understand that. It won't be your last bike, so a small tosser would be good to have, plus if you keep it a little beater is a blast to have around. Also in the UK there's licensing restrictions, so check before you buy. Would suck to buy the bike then not be able to ride it because of the tiered system.

Now having given my PSA for the day, I started on a Busa, so it can be done. Be mindful that a good bump can equate to a jab on the throttle so keep your wrist low at first. It's pretty top heavy so be aware of that when you go to stop, make sure you don't put your foot in a hole. Once that weight gets moving it can be a ***** to stop.

They're pretty docile riders actually. Good clutch, pretty good throttle. It's not a twitchy bike. Beware of the brakes, they can stop a freight train given enough traction. I had a real close call once because I locked the front when a guy pulled out on me.

Good luck, take a riders course if there's one in your area, and take it slow. There's a lot hiding under the right grip.

Ride safe and have fun.
Bubba

I want to use it for touring around Europe mainly...but I have to factor in that Im going to have to use it in London traffic when not touring. Im going to be doing a regular trip to Germany too (about 500 miles) so I wanted a bike that can eat up the miles comfortably and I dont feel drained at the end of the journey.

One of the good things about the K1200LT was that when you drop it, the fender is protected and doesnt get damaged. Im not thinking of dropping the busa, but I guess it happens or nearly happens to everyone once in a while. Is there any kind of mod to protect the fairing like on the BMW?

Thanks to everyone for the replies! Im really looking forward to that "free-bird" feeling again! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I want to use it for touring around Europe mainly...but I have to factor in that Im going to have to use it in London traffic when not touring. Im going to be doing a regular trip to Germany too (about 500 miles) so I wanted a bike that can eat up the miles comfortably and I dont feel drained at the end of the journey.

One of the good things about the K1200LT was that when you drop it, the fender is protected and doesnt get damaged. Im not thinking of dropping the busa, but I guess it happens or nearly happens to everyone once in a while. Is there any kind of mod to protect the fairing like on the BMW?

Thanks to everyone for the replies! Im really looking forward to that "free-bird" feeling again! :thumbsup:

Yes they are called sliders. There are several types (a no cutting one and one that you have to cut the faring)

Going to love that Busa as not only your touring ride but also as your first big street ride! Just continue doing the things your already doing and you'll be fine! Remember that motorcycles are a lot like hand guns.... A twenty-two is just as deadly as a forty-four! Fact is.... the Forty-Four won't kill you TWICE as dead as a Twenty-Two!

Back