Newbie hi & a question about pipes

Bofh_uk

Registered
Hi everyone, this is huge site and I'll be weeks reading before I find my way about. I've been a biker for 20 years but never owned a sports bike let alone a Busa :laugh:

So I got hold of a 1999 Black and Red totally stock busa the other week, "welcome to the dark side" said one of my mates :thumbsup:

All I can say is the Busa is beyond mental, I've not riden any of my other bikes since I brought it.

So I've replaced the brake hoses with Goodridge hoses and now the brakes work, I'm also replacing the levers with some two finger Pazzo levers, very nice.

Now I'm stuck trying to make my mind up about the pipes, I don't have a huge budget either. I've been looking at the Scorpion Street Extreme can's and wonderd if anyone here has a pair and a picture to post so I can see what they look like fitted.

Any other pix of short pipes would be apreciated.

Great site people, well done.

BOFH :bowdown:

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. You can find a lot of things in the for sale threads. I have had a great deal of success with Ebay finding new and used parts for my 02. There are always at least 3-4000 products listed on there daily. Also try a google or Yahoo search for hayabusa parts.:beerchug:

Remember, the bike is designed to run the way it is meaning that if you change one thing, most likely you'll have to consider adding something else like a pc with mapping, dyno tune etc. You mentioned budget so I had to say something about extra costs for minimal gains on a bike that's already squeezed when stock.

OH! and :welcome: to the dark side :bowdown:

Last edited:
:welcome:
if you are just looking at slip-ons try the muffler mod. changes the sounds allot. Or polish the stockers and see how you like them if you are trying to save some coin.. :thumbsup:

:welcome:
if you are just looking at slip-ons try the muffler mod. changes the sounds allot. Or polish the stockers and see how you like them if you are trying to save some coin.. :thumbsup:

For modded stockers, just cut the weld on the rivets over the screws on the beauty cover at the end of the can and then drill 3 1/2" holes between each screw post and with a long drill bit, drill 5 1/2" holes in the forward baffle plate inside the front of the cans. No other mods are needed and they sound great! Cost was only for the long drill bit. I had a drill and cutting wheel for the rivets. You can run them w/o the beauty cover but the sound isn't much louder than with them on. Looks better on of course. Good luck and welcome. Pics?

For modded stockers, just cut the weld on the rivets over the screws on the beauty cover at the end of the can and then drill 3 1/2" holes between each screw post and with a long drill bit, drill 5 1/2" holes in the forward baffle plate inside the front of the cans. No other mods are needed and they sound great! Cost was only for the long drill bit. I had a drill and cutting wheel for the rivets. You can run them w/o the beauty cover but the sound isn't much louder than with them on. Looks better on of course. Good luck and welcome. Pics?

Pics please, I know you got um.

Hi Bill, apparently all I have saved at work is the finished cans, ceramic coated. I think I have a couple pics of the drilled ends on my home PC. I'll look later.

DSCN0481Medium.jpg

DSCN0484Medium.jpg

DSCN0486Medium.jpg

DSCN0483Medium.jpg

I sort of lucked out with the ceramic coating. They promised one thing and delivered something not quite right so I ended up not having to pay the $150 they were going to charge me. Got them for free.

Can you expound on this a bit? "3 X the power"

Slipons add little to nothing as far as performance because the majority of the restriction in the exhaust is found within the header. A full system eliminates most of that restriction depending on the pipe.

I've seen dyno charts where muffler mods and slipons reduce performance in areas and add very little.

My brocks is supposed to add about 9 ponies. I haven't had it dyno'd and want. Don't have the bucks.

Hope this answers your question ???

My answer comes from what I've read and seen on this site

:welcome:--I agree with you--this place rocks! When I owned my 06, I was like you-- on a tight budget. I did the "drill 5, 1/2" holes" method to wake up the sound. it was the most effective & cheapest mod i did. I highly recommend it!

Back