Newbie drag times (slow, but fun!)

OB_mbuehler

Registered
Second time out to the strip and lots of fun this weekend, cut-out aside! I'm still pretty damn slow, still not launching, and still timid in first gear to really drop the hammer, but my times are improving no less :) I've managed to lose about half a second over last weekend.
For your amusement:
Reaction : .497
60 FT : 2.238
330 FT : 5.304
990 FT : 9.696
E.T. : 11.395
MPH : 132.483

As for shaming the Busa name... I beat my friend on his Bandit 1200, all three flat trackers (not much to that) and all (very cool group of guys) the All Harley Davidson Drag Racing members. No losses. I'm relatively fast I guess :) The bike has plenty more to give, so I'm gonna keep at it. I believe I can easily break into the tens once I get takeoffs down correctly.

Hang in there. I've been doing it for 30 years, and still learning. A lot of roadracing guys have tried it, and sometimes they don't do much better, the first time. It's a whole different world. On the other hand, I have yet to "drag knee" (at least deliberately). :) ...... ...Also, don't feel too bad if you don't get into the 9's,. Half the time, these claims are bogus. A lot harder to do it, than to talk about it. Good Luck.

I have found that If you start by leaving like from a stop light it is easier to lauch and the 60 foot times will go down to 1.8 at least.
It looks like you were tring to hard to launch.

I also experienced my first time at the strip last weekend too.

Reaction....671
60ft......1.967
330ft.....4.940
1/8.......7.234
1/4......10.800
MPH.....134.59

This was my best run out of 7 attempts.

I discovered that I was too ham fisted with the throttle at the start...spinning all the way through first and part of second, and way too heavy at the other end shown by poor MPH. 270lbs cancels out much of 170rwhp 'busa.

Having said that I was the fastest street bike there. Got beaten out of the hole quite a bit but blew past once I had second. The start line was also very slippery after not being used for 4 months.

The lights also completely threw my carefull planning out of the window. Gasabusa had given me instructions for the perfect launch but I blew it everytime.

Hey Pooh, I'll give you $50 if I can borrow that 330ft this weekend! :) I'll second that 'whole different world' Dolan! I was the only drag racer there with knee and toe sliders on :)

To Pooh: Not to let the cat out of the bag, but some of those guys have 1.5 ~ 1.6 60' tiimes / low to mid 6's in 1/8 mi. Some time slips had been posted at LA BUSAS , a couple of weeks back.

You Guys don't give up!
you have a very difficult bike to launch.
My first try was better than that but I was drag racing a ZX11 which is just as had to launch.
Remember the harder you leave the worst it is on this bike let the torque pull you through.
and get the brock piece.

just to give you an Idea,
My very first pass on the busa at 600 miles was an idle launch and shifted at 8,000 and I turned a 10.49 in the 1/4 mile

JC:

I'd be interested to see the timeslips from your recent runs at Yellow Belly with AA, ADB et al. Just something to aim for you understand.

Wow, me thinks I'm not giving it enough gas! I'll open it up full throttle from the line next time and see what that gets me. I can hear my tire spinning now :)

Having raced a ZX11 and a Vmax my Busa is a lot easier to launch even when stock. I now have lowered 3in. with the Schnitz
lowering links and there front end strap kit, this along was good for 2 tenths in the 1/8th, 16 tooth front sprocket, Two Brother's Slipons, PC2 with #2 map. Airbox mod, stock filter, Best 1/8 mile 6.39 at 113
60ft. 1.60 Bike made 160.7 HP with all stock except AirBox mod, 162.6 with Slipons and PC2.No quarter mile tracks within a hundred miles or so but Deals Gap is thrity min. from my house, you guys runing quarter mile what are your 1/8 times and 60ft's?

JC:

Thanks...I appreciate that.

hmmmm.....1.5 - 1.6 60ft!! means that I have to gain 4 tenths in just that space. I'm sure a much of those 4 tenths went up in smoke and JC...thanks for pointing out you did 10.49 without even trying :-) makes me feel a whole lot better....NOT! hahahaha

Any Brits here fancy going to Santa Pod on the 5th March Run Wot You Brung???

Pooh. I did not try to make you feel bad.I was just pointing out it can be done I do weigh 200 lbs.
Just remember I have been drag racing bikes for almost 20 years and I am sure once you find your own way of launching the beast it will all fall in place.
Cheers.

JC:

No worries....I understand completely, I was just sharing a laugh with you.

I've picked up a few more tips to try next time, the first being NOT to lock the ignition key under the seat hump!

Back