Newbie checking in from St Louis

Homer_Simpson

Registered
Hey all!

Great site! Let me tell you a little about me and why I'm here. I'm 6'3" tall, 50 years "young" and I've been riding street bikes for 34 years. Currently have a '98 1200 Bandit and a hot-rodded '83 GS1100E in the garage. With my height and age I am not comfortable "folding" myself up onto a sportbike anymore - hence the two aforementioned bikes that have friendlier ergos for my needs.

I've been facinated by the 'Busa ever since she came out but I could never seem to get comfortable on one. It wasn't so much the reach for the bars as it was the foot peg to seat height making my long (and aging) legs uncomfortable. So what I want to find out on this site is if it possible to modify a 'Busa into a super sport "tourer" of sorts for taller riders? Yeah, I know the 'Busa was built for speed, but I bet there have been some people who have taken it on long multi-state rides. I want to find out how those people might have modified their bikes for the longer trips - taller seats to unbend the legs, bar risers for the arms, taller windshields for more protection, etc. There is so much info here it's almost overwhelming and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Was hoping that you guys would help a newbie out and get me pointed in the right direction to some sites, threads, or posts concerning making the 'Busa more comfy for older taller riders.

Thanks!
Homer

Search for the following mods:

Buell peg mod
Genmar risers
Helibars

and then seat time..

I have all three on mine. I'm 52 but I'm not as tall as you. When I first got mine I could not ride it 20 minutes without it just killing me. I put all three of these mods plus a touring screen on mine. It helped, but not nearly as much as just getting out and RIDING it. Your body WILL adjust to the position. In about 6 months I could ride it pretty good. Now I can ride it quite a distance (but slabbing is difficult), and I can even ride a stock one for quite a while. The twistier the road, the more you move around and the less it hurts. Good luck!

I am the same height as you, and have some of the same issues, although I am younger.

Also check into a Throttlemeister, or a full on cruise control. I have the TM and it helps tremendously on long rides. I have been holding off on the Buell pegs, since my factory ones are black chromed, but I may break down and get a set

Welcome to Busa Land! :welcome: it truely is an icon of a bike and so much better than the big Ninja. It is somewhat of a touring bike, I just don't know about state to state rides, yikes. I am 6' 2" and feel like I fit into the bike unlike other sport bikes where I just feel like I am laying down on top of them. I am definitely looking into a set of Gilles adjustable rear set because I too feel like stetching my legs after 30 minutes of riding. Also maybe Sato? I want the red anodized set. I think this will help and I have considered heli-bars but not heli + genmar because then you need a longer throttle cable and then good luck with the throttle snapping back when you release it. You also run into clearance issues with the fluid reservoir and windsheid.

I like the busa on the highway because you lean into the wind instead of it hitting you in the chest with a flat and full frotal assaut. I also agree with the above statement about getting accustom to the bike, when I firs started riding sport bikes my right trap muscle (between my neck and shoulder) would cramp up, but now I don't notice it as much unless I ride all day.

If I were gonna ride across the country or state I would probably go with more of a sport touring bike like a FJR or Concourse but man are those thangs heavy. Honda also makes a V4 touring bike and Aprilla, or a GSX1250FA (basically a bandit as you know) would be better suited I think. I myself may get a second bike for riding across Texas like the new 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure. The thing is tall and don't know what kind of highway bike it would make. My KLR 650 was tall and felt like a sailing mast on windy days.

Back to the busa, I would suggest a double bubble from Zero Gravity too. I have a Throttle Meister but havn't put it on yet. They say it is for experienced riders so use it with caution. NO one bike does it all.

Hey guys! Thanks for the response. I'm going to search the site for those mods you mentioned.

Barry, I know what you mean about "laying on top of" modern sport bikes. I swear the manufacturers have made them smaller and smaller over the years to save weight! It is so uncomfortable to "fold" myself up on one now. It gets me the worst between the shoulder blades and the base of my neck from having to hold my head up in the crouched position.

I have two great bikes right now. The GS is an old school hot rod (1166 Wiseco kit, Mikuni RS36's, Cam Motion G3's, Dyna Super Pro 4000, Kerker and K&N pods) and I love it but with it being 30 years old it's very hard to find stuff for it. The 1200 Bandit does everything good but it's, I don't know, kind of vanilla in a way. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bike, it's just not very "sexy".

The 'Busa, like you said, it's an icon. It's not a little crotch rocket that you have to drape yourself over. Oh no, it's a long and low purpose built highly capable cruise missile! Just knowing what it is, the capability that it possesses, is what makes the 'Busa cool and sexy to me. It's got some serious swagger and that's what I dig about it and probably why I still want one.

Hey all!

Great site! Let me tell you a little about me and why I'm here. I'm 6'3" tall, 50 years "young" and I've been riding street bikes for 34 years. Currently have a '98 1200 Bandit and a hot-rodded '83 GS1100E in the garage. With my height and age I am not comfortable "folding" myself up onto a sportbike anymore - hence the two aforementioned bikes that have friendlier ergos for my needs.

I've been facinated by the 'Busa ever since she came out but I could never seem to get comfortable on one. It wasn't so much the reach for the bars as it was the foot peg to seat height making my long (and aging) legs uncomfortable. So what I want to find out on this site is if it possible to modify a 'Busa into a super sport "tourer" of sorts for taller riders? Yeah, I know the 'Busa was built for speed, but I bet there have been some people who have taken it on long multi-state rides. I want to find out how those people might have modified their bikes for the longer trips - taller seats to unbend the legs, bar risers for the arms, taller windshields for more protection, etc. There is so much info here it's almost overwhelming and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Was hoping that you guys would help a newbie out and get me pointed in the right direction to some sites, threads, or posts concerning making the 'Busa more comfy for older taller riders.

Thanks!
Homer

Welcome! I'm originally from Wood River IL, near you of course. I still have lots of family and friends in that area. Enjoy the Org.

P.

Hey guys! Thanks for the replies. I'll have to search the forum for those mods you all suggested.

Know what you mean about "laying on top of" a modern sport bike. Seems like they have made them smaller and smaller in an effort to save weight. Now I have to "drape" myself over one and it just isn't comfortable anymore. It especially gets me between the shoulder blades and at the base of my neck from holding my head up while in the crouched position.:headache: The 'Busa is different. It's low slung but long so it doesn't feel small and like I have to "drape" myself over it. If I could find out how to expand the foot peg to seat distance I might be able to live with it.

I have two great bikes in the garage already. The GS is an old school hot rod with a Wiseco 1166 kit, Mikuni RS36's, Cam Motion G3's, Dyna Super Pro 4000, Kerker pipe and K&N pods. I love the bike but it's really difficult finding stuff for a 30 year old bike. The 1200 Bandit is a great bike too. Super reliable, a torque monster and it does everything well but it's, I don't know, kind of "vanilla" in a way.

When the 'Busa first came out I didn't think it was particularly good looking, but there was no denying it's performance. I think the Gen II is a much better looking machine and it's performance is now legendary. Barry, you're right, the 'Busa has become an icon.:bowdown: Maybe that's part of the allure of it? Maybe that's why I would like to have one.

I traded my gen2 Busa for a B-King.
I personally find the B-King much more comfortable, and with a few tweaks it now has the same power as the Busa(it has the same engine).
PM LewBking, he's here and on suzukibking.org
He just posted pics of a bolt on highway peg setup he made for his B-King(with functioning shifter and brake).
Stock pegs are also still functional as well.
Lew is 6'4" and rides 400 and 500 miles at a time, so he can give you specific details.
Just a thought, and welcome to the org.

I also put a Spiegler bar conversion on my Busa.
It was a big comfort improvement over stock, but still not quite what I needed.
Seats are a personal preference, but finding the right one for you makes a big difference too.
Lower pegs can help, but they reduce cornering clearance.
I like aftermarket rearsets to raise and move back the peg position for cornering, and I found them more comfortable.
But again, it's all what feels best for YOU.
I've had a lot of bikes, and had my gen2 for 3 1/2 years. The last 2 years or so of owning it I found my self trying to make it something it wasn't...the B-King. The B-King has a much better riding position for someone who wants Busa power without a sportbike riding position.
Yet the B-King still handles and corners very well. No, I can't corner it like a gsxr1000, but it does incredibly well for what it is.

SDC10466.jpg

SDC10554.jpg

SDC10550.jpg

022.jpg

These are Heli-bars combined with .75" spacers.
They can be used together or separately. Spacers themselves can be no taller than .75" with heli-bars, or 1.5" tall by themselves.
All work with stock length brake/clutch lines, and will clear the inner windshield. Any taller will not.
The Heli-bars also are taller at the tip of the bar than at the bar mount on the top clamp plate, as they change the bar angle.
Combined or separate, all are noticeable comfort improvement.

SDC10434.jpg

SDC11033.jpg

Thanks SixPack. Yeah, I thought about the King too. The King was around for what, one, two years, so it's kind of a rare piece. It wasn't a real sales success and IIRC it's sticker price was actually more than the 'Busa which might have been why. I imagine finding stuff for it has to be almost as challenging as finding stuff for my 30 year old GS. On the other hand, finding stuff for the 'Busa is a snap with seemingly everything and anything available for it. I like now like the way the 'Busa looks - it looks like it is doing 100mph sitting still. The King, that mini fairing and headlight reminds me of the Transformers "Autobot" symbol for some odd reason. :overlord:

From Gixxer1000 to Hayabusa

Hello everyone! I jumped ship from a GSXR1000 to the mighty Busa....I have plans on making it a "sport tourer" (adding heli bars, backrest, maybe some smaller bags), but otherwise, I am still going the way of the race world by lightening it up and adding power. I bought a 2013 which has the Bremo brakes and ABS, which I am totally not used to! I'll probably add steel braided lines to assist in slowing down this heavy thing. Other mods are basically just an exhaust, air filter, re-gear it a little, and I plan on getting the ECM re-flashed.

So here's my question: Does anyone on here have any experience or knowledge on the ECM re-flash? Also, I'm not sure about going to a full system exhaust or just dual slip-ons. If that makes a difference in how the re-flash will work. Of course full system is going to shave a lot more weight and get rid of all the crap associated with the stock exhaust and add a few more HP. Any thoughts?

don't be afraid to tour on a Hayabusa! my bike is stock. i am 6'6" and have ridden some very long runs. get a tank bag you can lay on it and let your feet fly behind you. makes all the differance in the world.
i would like to do some seat, bar, and peg mods, but i always end up spend the $$ on gas and tires.
:idea: i always thought the low slider doohickeys would make a good extra place to put your feet on long trips.

:welcome: to the ORG! :cheerleader:

Re: From Gixxer1000 to Hayabusa

Hello everyone! I jumped ship from a GSXR1000 to the mighty Busa....I have plans on making it a "sport tourer" (adding heli bars, backrest, maybe some smaller bags), but otherwise, I am still going the way of the race world by lightening it up and adding power. I bought a 2013 which has the Bremo brakes and ABS, which I am totally not used to! I'll probably add steel braided lines to assist in slowing down this heavy thing. Other mods are basically just an exhaust, air filter, re-gear it a little, and I plan on getting the ECM re-flashed.

So here's my question: Does anyone on here have any experience or knowledge on the ECM re-flash? Also, I'm not sure about going to a full system exhaust or just dual slip-ons. If that makes a difference in how the re-flash will work. Of course full system is going to shave a lot more weight and get rid of all the crap associated with the stock exhaust and add a few more HP. Any thoughts?

You can reflash the ecu with Ecu Editor, very simple.
Click a few buttons and done.
It'll really wake it up.
Slipons are good for looks and sound, and you can feel the handling improvement in curves with the weight of the stock mufflers gone.
If you want performance, you want a full exhaust..
Neither makes any difference with the flash.
I flash ecu's and do what can be done without needing a dyno. Remove lower timing restrictions in 1st through 4th , remove top speed limiter, remove fuel soft cut, adjust stp's, turn fans on sooner. Never touch an air/fuel map without a dyno or datalogger.
Ecu Editor can be used to dyno tune with also.
A power Commander just adjusts the air/fuel map, and you can load a base map recommended for whatever exhaust you get.
The base maps are pretty generic, and most aren't very good.
The only decent power commander base maps are from Brocks. If you buy his exhaust, they'll give you a power commander map if you want it.
A power commander base map can be used along with an ecu flash, or the ecu flash can do it all. Depends on the tuner.
So, you can flash the ecu, then get a power commander dyno tune. Or, you can just get an ecu editor dyno tune and do it all.
Most gen2 exhausts run fine with the stock tune, although a dyno tune is always recommended whenever possible.
A power commander is not a must have, nor is the flash.

Thanks SixPack. Yeah, I thought about the King too. The King was around for what, one, two years, so it's kind of a rare piece. It wasn't a real sales success and IIRC it's sticker price was actually more than the 'Busa which might have been why. I imagine finding stuff for it has to be almost as challenging as finding stuff for my 30 year old GS. On the other hand, finding stuff for the 'Busa is a snap with seemingly everything and anything available for it. I like now like the way the 'Busa looks - it looks like it is doing 100mph sitting still. The King, that mini fairing and headlight reminds me of the Transformers "Autobot" symbol for some odd reason. :overlord:

The B-King was in the U.S in 08 only, but Europe and Australia from 07 to 11.
Parts are easy to get, and a lot of Busa stuff works on it also.
The B-King was in the first Transformers movie too:laugh:

I'm just south of you in Imperial. I'm 6'6" and have done the buell pegs, heli bars and a corbin seat. I love this bike you can do what ever you want on it. I've done a trunk mod for when it's just me and moved it back for when the wife wants to ride. I do a track day every couple of years just to get my fix then it's back to a much safe street pace. I go to AR. for the weekend a couple times a year and couldn't be happier with my Busa. I do want an ADV bike though "the Busa is not the best for gravel roads" hit me up if you want to come sit on it and see if you like the mods. I am getting it ready for another track day right now but once I'm done I can meet you at a dealership and you can sit on a stock one then mine and see what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back