Newbie Busa Owner with Backache

Andymap

Registered
Hi all

My first post!

Having not ridden a sports bike for a number of years I felt the time was right to go for the best!

Anyway, 125 miles into my new shiny L4 monster and I notice my back is aching across my shoulder blades. I also find the pegs a little high for my 6'4 length.

So, how easy are helicopter bars (or similar) to fit? Will they do the job?
If I fit buell pegs (seen similar on eBay for c£40) is it easy to adjust the brake pedal and gear lever?

Sorry if this seems a little dumb - give me time!

Cheers

There are comfort mods you can do. There is a member here that puts the kit together and includes instructions for the pegs. If you have not been riding in this position for a while, you may also need to build tolerance. Make sure you dont rest your body on your wrists, support youself with your abs. Welcome to the oRg!

Try to hold yourself up with your abs and not lay on your hands, it will provide a bunch of relief. Heli-Bars will give you about 1 to 2 inches of set back and not require new brake or clutch hoses. :welcome:

I have heli bars and 1 inch soupys risers and it just clears the double bubble screen with buell pegs. The bars and risers are almost 3 inches higher than stock.

The next step is the spiegler bar conversion or in Europe the ABM handlebar conversion.

20140721_085614_1_.jpg

If you can , do some swimming to strengthen your back ... very common to find a Busa etc achy if your not really used to it.
I had the same problem early this year and simply did some basic swimming once a week for a month and a bit of back strengthening exercises....worked wonders

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

You probably need the mods you're talking about for long hauls. My experience has been the more miles I put on my bike the better my body handles it. Sorta like physical conditioning. The first three weeks of football were rough. I did 1500 miles in three days over the 4th this year and had no problems with stock everything. Back in '06 I had the same issues, shoulders, right hand and wrist, knees. I love riding this bike. Hated to trailer it to the Bash last week but did it because of sleep not physical pain.

Hi all

My first post!

Having not ridden a sports bike for a number of years I felt the time was right to go for the best!

Anyway, 125 miles into my new shiny L4 monster and I notice my back is aching across my shoulder blades. I also find the pegs a little high for my 6'4 length.

So, how easy are helicopter bars (or similar) to fit? Will they do the job?
If I fit buell pegs (seen similar on eBay for c£40) is it easy to adjust the brake pedal and gear lever?

Sorry if this seems a little dumb - give me time!

Cheers

Yes it is easy to adjust the gear shift lever and the rear brake pedal if you do the Buell pegs.
I did it and it helps my legs to not get cramps and can ride without discomfort with them installed.

I have to remind myself often to squeeze the gas tank with my knees. You can feel it right away take the pressure off your wrists etc.
If I'm cruising around at 55mph and not a lot of traffic I will ride one handed and then switch them to take a break from leaning on them if it's a longer trip.

So try squeezing the tank and see if that doesn't help. Like everything else it will take some getting use to riding your Busa.

I don't know if your riding season is coming to a close in the next month or so like many of us here in the USA.
If so - then ride it all you can and winter time is a perfect time to do mods on your bike. Especially if you can get it inside or to a heated area. :laugh:

and :welcome:

I also have the Heli bars and they are OK but it's not a night and day difference. Better but not what I would call great.
However when I see a bike with stock bars on them, it almost looks foreign, as I have had mine on for at least 9 years. :laugh:

Best way to achieve all-day-ride comfort is to us a magnetic tank bag, 20 liters or larger, and lean your chest against it. Magnetic because you can move it wherever you want to get it adjusted to your riding position. I can ride like this all day and have on several occasions.

I installed the speigler ABM superbike handlebar kit on my bike, it is flat-out awesome. Makes my helibars (which are for sale... cheap!) feel uncomfortable as he**! I highly recommend it, though the installation is a bit of work if you have an ABS bike. Check the url before you spend your hard earned $. It's the most comfort you can get out of any bike mod, as far as I know, and worth it to me. If I want to crouch down... I still can, but I don't *have* to all the time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fZ3LKAoDq94

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YI88JCM7EY

The second link shows the mind-blowing difference between stock and comfortable handlebars!

Thanks all. Good advice. I'm finding that the more I ride it the easier it gets. Great tip re using the abs to support the weight - didn't realise I had any!

Hey there. I'm the same height, as well as being physically disabled, so I feel your pain. (literally) Personally, I found the biggest help came from exercising in a pool like someone above me said. That got me to 200 mile rides rather easily. My own personal experience, as far as bike mods go, I gained the ability of much longer rides from an Airhawk/magnetic tank bag stuffed with clothes/rain gear on the top, so it kinda acts as a pillow. Those 2 got me up to 500 mile days. Depending on your style of riding, cruise control as it allows you to free up/rest your throttle hand/arm. I went with the heavy throttlemeister, so that it helped reduce vibrations as well. I also added a MRA VarioTouring windscreen, gives me a bigger break from the wind. (definitely not the most attractive screen, but as much as I like to ride, i do comfort/function over appearance) Also make sure your suspension is set correctly for your weight. And of course, the pegs/risers will help you as well. With all that, I have all day comfort. Common to find me in the saddle 8-10hrs a day, multiple days in a row.

Back