Newbi from AZ

lil charlie

Registered
Hello everybody,

My name is Kevin but I go by Lil Charlie and I live in Sierra Vista Arizona; it's a medium sized town about and hour and a half south of Tucson...near Tombstone and Bisbee. My father’s call sign was always Big Charlie so when I followed in his foot steps I got the name Lil Charlie. I have only been riding motorcycles since 2006 but instantly fell in love with the calming effect I get when I ride and plan on riding until the day I die. I started out on cursers but in Aug of 07 I was hit head on by a 93yr old man on a local Hwy. None of the doctors know how I lived. I spent 5 months flat on my back in a hospital with more rods and pins sticking out of me than knew what to do with, then 3 more months learning how to walk again. I have had a total of 21 reconstructive surgeries to put my ass back together. So what was the very 1st thing I did when I got out of the hospital....Buy another bike of course!! I couldn't even walk yet but I used a picture of the bike during physical therapy as my motivation. This bike was a Honda VXT 1800, but I crushed the back of my pelvis in my wreck and sitting straight up hurts my back so I could only ride it 20 mins at a time. I let a friend of my talk me into riding his CBR 1000, he told me leaning forward was comfortable and I though he was crazy. Well it turns out that leaning forward takes all of the weight off of my pelvis an I can ride for several hours in one sitting with no pain at all. SO I bought a used 04' kaw ZZR 600 as a test bike and after 3 months of pain free riding I sold both the VXT and ZZR and in the spring of 09 and bought a left over 08 Busa. I went to buy the white 09 model but the smoking price they gave on the 08 was too good of a deal to pass up. I love the orange and black look and plan on having this bike for many years. I knew nothing what so ever about Hayabussa when I bought it. I just knew that it fit my 6'-2'' broken ass body like a glove. Well that’s my story; hope to meet up with some of you for a ride.

Lil Charlie

:welcome: to the Org...
I too find the leaned over position to be comfortable for my back. When i first started riding a sport bike i had increased pressure on my shoulders until i learned how to hold on with my legs and stop leaning on the clipons..
I hardly ride my cruisers these days.

:welcome:
I got back problems and have been through surgery also. Yeah people still keep telling me I need to ride a cruiser cause it would be easier on my back. (they are not me what the hell do they know)
But what you said about the riding position is exactly true!!!
I got a 04 Gixxer 600 and have been riding that for about 2 years now ok, but I just got an 09 Busa and yep, it just fits natural!!!

Congrats and welcome! :beerchug: Incredible story and glad you were able to make it through the recovery.

:welcome: to the board...glad you survived and can hang out with a bunch more of us busted up folks :laugh:

I have busted back as well ( nowhere near as bad as yours tho ) and leaning over helps a great deal. a few times that the pain was severe I just sat on the bike and hunched over leanin on the tank and it helped greatly. unless a cruiser guy has rode sport bikes he will never know how comfortable they are.
glad to hear your a busa owner. enjoy and ride safe man:welcome:

:welcome: In PHX, i sometimes ride down to fort huachuca, nice scenery down there.

Welcome to the org and that is a very inspiring story! We live in Tucson and ride to Sonoita and SV quite often. Theres also a sportbike club in SV and one in Tucson that meets on Tues nights. Mt Lemmon in Tucson is a close ride and 26 miles of mountain fun.

welcome and by the way nice intro, liked the story....glad your able to see another day of riding.....:thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome...I enjoy riding too much to give it up. Its my therapy, I can have the worlds worst day and 5mins on the bike and I’m smoooooooooooth as silk again.

:welcome: Mate good to see you had a strong will to get over your injuries, then you made the smart decision to get the most comfortable machine you will ever want to own:thumbsup:

I have a VTX18oo F model cruiser. Same for me, about two hours and my back hurts. All day comfort on the busa.:thumbsup:

100_0437%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Back