Newb question - preparing for distance riding

notcrazy

Registered
I've only been riding for a year, and I haven't done any long rides yet. Most so far is about 2 hours in the saddle. I'd like to work up to riding the busa back to Kansas to see the family then riding back 2-3 days later (500 mi each way). Trip takes 7 hours in my truck, so I'm guessing about 8 1/2 with extra stops on a bike.

In addition to the mods in my sig, I've got Buell pegs to put on, the Suzuki sport touring windscreen and some Pazzo levers on the way, and I plan on an aftermarket seat soon. I want all my riding to be SAFE and comfortable. I plan on riding increasing distances to gauge my stamina. Will definitely get a throttle lock before attempting long distance interstate riding. I've been riding with earplugs due to my loud exhaust - I'd like to have some tunes if I'm going that far.

The trip is mostly interstate, with about 70 miles of 2-lane on the near side.

So, I'm looking for tips. Recommended gear, other mods, safety rules, etc. Even if the advice is "don't do it", I'll appreciate it.

A good set of bicycle riding shorts is worth a bunch! You’ll want plenty of hydration and rest. Start early and give yourself lots of margin for breaks.

Fatigue will produce the same effects as alcohol. Have a backup plan in case you can’t comfortably make the trip. If there is any question of not being able to, get a room or somehow park it and get some rest.

Build stamina until your departure. The best way is to ride, ride, ride......
Posted via Mobile Device

+1 on the padded bicycle shorts, I wear them whenever I plan to be on the road for more than an hour at a time. The longer your on the road, the longer and more frequent your rest stops become.

If you plan your ride for X amount of days, add one day. I have taken many, many, many long distance rides (excess of 4-6000 miles). Give yourself time to rest. You will be amazed at how this will eat up time as you travel farther. Dont rush, i'm all about: "it's the ride, not the destination". Enjoy yourself. And get off that HIGHWAY!

If you plan your ride for X amount of days, add one day. I have taken many, many, many long distance rides (excess of 4-6000 miles). Give yourself time to rest. You will be amazed at how this will eat up time as you travel farther. Dont rush, i'm all about: "it's the ride, not the destination". Enjoy yourself. And get off that HIGHWAY!

What Ace said. Get on google maps and find roades that are not on the highway. Much less stress and more fun. Also you can usually find some of the best eats off the highway.

On the bike shorts I would look for cotton or some sort of wicking material that will not slide under your riding pants. Bike shorts are usually lycra and the padding is good but they tend to slip and slid between your jeans.

I've already got some padded lycra bicycle shorts - I'll look for some that aren't as slippery.

The route I have in my head would have 4 stops before the destination, with legs of about 75, 150, 90, 90, and 90 miles. There are other points to stop if necessary.

I see what you're saying about getting off the interstate, but have you ever driven through western Kansas?!? Doesn't matter what road you're on - it's flat, boring, and can get windy as hell. I'll do my sight seeing here in Colorado:laugh:

Thanks for the advice so far - keep it coming...

I've already got some padded lycra bicycle shorts - I'll look for some that aren't as slippery.

The route I have in my head would have 4 stops before the destination, with legs of about 75, 150, 90, 90, and 90 miles. There are other points to stop if necessary.

I see what you're saying about getting off the interstate, but have you ever driven through western Kansas?!? Doesn't matter what road you're on - it's flat, boring, and can get windy as hell. I'll do my sight seeing here in Colorado:laugh:

Yep I was stationed at Ft. Leavenworth for school, so I know what you are saying.

I have rode once a year for the last 8 years back to colorado Where i once lived for 9 years. My brother is still up in Nederland. (woohoo Frozen dead guys days!) Anyway, heck yeah i have rode thru Kansas on that miserable I-70 and i hate it! Think thats bad? try running I-80 thru Nebraska from chicago to Denver..ugh..talk about flat! Its like riding in a Flintstones cartoon..ya know where fred is running thru the house and you see the same lamp and couch every 2 seconds? I also know that wind...i rarely ride thru Kansas on a 90 degree angle...more like a 45...
Under armour shorts do pretty well for Monkey butt..

My dad and I rode from St. Louis to Southern Oklahoma about 20 miles from the Texas border in one day last summer. It was 525 miles and it took us about 14 hours. It was just brutal. The farthest I had ever ridden at one shot prior to that was 100 miles. We definitely should have stopped. Once it got dark on us, the riding was absolutely bad. Zero enjoyment from then on. It even got foggy around 9pm. It was dumb, we should have made it into 2 fun days instead of 1 grueling day.

At a minimum you probably want to invest in a Scottoiler and either a tire plug kit + a portable compressor or an AMA membership so you have access to a motorcycle towing service in case you break down. If any of your trip is going to routinely be at night you might also consider a HID upgrade for your main lights and/or some auxiliary lights. Radar detector would be good too for the highway...

take minimum clothing. For long trips, a week or more, take a bottle (small) liquid laundry soap and do your socks,under ware in motel sink. Or take your oldest worn out clothes and throw them away.
Tightly roll all your clothes for packing.
here is one of my lists, I am still refining it, depends on the time of year, you may need to add some things.
Should have a packing list. Lay every thing out, then pack and check it off the list.

CLOTHES
UNDER SHORTS 3
BIYCYCLE SHORTS 2
T-SHIRTS LONG/SHORT/SLEEVE 3
JEANS 1
SOCKS 3
HANKY OR BANDANA 3
SWIM SHORTS

MEDICINE – ASPIRIN, EYE DROPS
SHOWER AND HYGENE SUPPLIES NAIL CLIPPER

ELECTRONICS
EAR PHONES ER6