NewB question on handlebar risers

My post was about to know if a combination with Genmar products was doable, if I would want to go a bit further. One guy said a
3/4" Genmar spacer AND Heli combo would work but after rereading his post he didn't said specificaly he didn't change the hydraulic hoses.

I've been there before . On one Busa i ground the brake line banjo fitting stop on the master a little so i could re-clock the stock line. It was just OK and still too tight long term but did the job for the one week needed. For the permanent fix, got a longer braided line.

In the end i ditched it all and went to a bar kit. I came out OK since i bought the risers and Heli's used.

I have a GenII with 3/4 riser and helibars. There's a thread on it around here somewhere. Can't comment on GEN I's, but this is about as far as I could go without new lines and the windscreen barely touches in full lock.

Question I would ask you is, how long have you been riding this bike now? When I first got my GEN 2, I couldn't ride it any more than about 20 minutes before my hands and back would hurt so much I had to get off the bike, and I did the mods above, along with the Buell peg mod, all of which really helped.

But the thing that helped me most was SEAT TIME. Over time, my body adjusted and I can now ride an unmodded GEN 2 all day without too much discomfort. Your body will adjust over time to the riding position.

Having said that, the mods you want to make, make for a more confortable 'adjustment period'. You will need longer lines if you go much over 3/4 riser and helibars - all you have to do is fully extend the front forks and look at the tension on the lines so see what I'm talking about.

I have a 2002 with a 1.25" Genmar riser AND Helibars. No problem at all with running stock length lines. I did have to re-route the high speed idle cable, but that's all. I have an aftermarket windscreen and I still have at least a 1/4" of clearance remaining. I also bought a set of modded Buell pegs from an Ebay vendor that gives me 2" of additional leg room (those pegs won't work with all exhaust systems)

-Dan

Well thanks to all !! :thumbsup:

My "second call" had been very successfull as you all had been very clear with pics and details. I'm about to receive the parts and can't wait to install them.

I will also probably go with braided lines - 1" extension since the furnished care booklet stipulate to change the stock rubber hoses every 4 years anyway.

There are a lot of very knowleageable and helping people in here so I'm already loving this site.

Thanks again.

PS: SKYDIVR: You're right. I just had the bike since last thursday so the ajustment time is surely not done yet but I already know some ergonomic parts will help. I also can't wait to get the Buell peg kit from Joe. As you can see, my exchange bike was a Buell so I'll be in "known" territory with those pegs !! The Busa have only 3 000 miles and it is really mint.

IMG_1159_1.JPG

fototsai 001_1.jpg

Update:

3/4" Genmar and Helibars installed. Lot more room with all related controls to install than I thought. The choke cable had been relocated in front and passed in between the 2 gas tank bolts (a washer was added to clear). Enough clutch hose and barely enough brake hose. Push pull right hand cables have more than enough slack, didn't even took them off their right side clamp.As for the electrical wires, they still reside in their clamp in front of the fork -> more than enough slack.

The brake reservoir do touch a bit at full left but I don't consider it a problem. Nothing else rub or bump.

As for the added comfort: It's night and day ! :thumbsup: A really great mod to tame the little bit radical stock ergonomics !

Thanks for the help to all.

Back