NewB question on handlebar risers

Snowbird

Registered
Hi all,

Just bought a mint stock low mileage 2006 Hayabusa. Great bike so far but the ergonomics are killing me. I would like to raise the handlebar quite a bit.

After some research, I saw I could order Helibars 1 5/8" or Genmar 1.25" risers or Genmar 3/4".

Is it possible to use a combination of those above (say Heli + 3/4" Genmar - or - Heli + 1 1/4" Genmar) without running out of cables or hoses or banging in the fairing ? In other words, what would be the most higher combi I could go before running into those problems ?

Thanks

If you dont mind me asking, how tall are you? I am 6ft7 and the busa is comfortable to me as far
as in the Sport touring class. They also have the buell foot peg mod which lowers your pegs
1 in
Posted via Mobile Device

5' 10" but I guess I doesn't bend as easily as I use to .

Don't want to really tell my age but let's just say I was riding bikes (motorcycles that is) in the early seventies !!

PS: I also emailed the guy behind the Buell peg kit and I will also order those.

Hello. I guess I am in the same boat as far as not wanting to tell my age:whistle:
but what I did I got the genmar 1.25 risers. This made it a lot more comfortable to say the least. It does bring up the bars to the max. You will have your knuckles very very slightly hit the windshield when you steer lock to lock. But who ever steers that far while riding? While riding not a problem. I think that with the heli bars you will have either cable problems or no room left to fit under the windshield when you turn the handle bars. The heli bars do tend to pull the bars a little towards you....so I'm not sure. I guess if you try both and it does not work you can return one of them...I'm interested how it works out.. Let me know

thanks
E

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, I'm 6ft 2 and was going to buy the helibars myself because I found the riding position awkward, I was use to a more upright stance and the foot pegs farther forward but after a while I got used to it and am fine now. Anyway welcome to the org, and have fun.

You can go with Heli-bars and .75 genmar risers at the same time. Also check into buell peg mod or vario pegs from twisted throttle.

I run all of these, to include the vario pegs and it is much more comfortable.

Makes sense I guess since I am so tall and my arms are long I am not really leaning forward to reach the bars.
Maybe a taller seat with bar risers Will straighten your position to where your more comfortable,
Posted via Mobile Device

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup: You might never get comfy on a sports bike, however the more you ride the better it gets unless there's a major issue. At speed you can lay on the tank, use your abs instead of leaning all your weight on your arms, squezz the tank with your knees, change positions from time to time. Best of luck.

You can also get Soupys riser kit spacers for 20$ plus shipping. They also sell a riser kit for I think 100$. Alot of guys use Soupys with heli bars and the buell peg mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think 1.25" maybe 1.5" is about the max with the stock cables and hoses. Once you start swapping out parts, the sky is the limit

post-13-51956-gixxer_2.jpg

post-13-52016-gixxer_1.jpg

You are going to need to swap out your brake lines with direction you are headed. We generally say anything beyond 1" and you need to go to overlength lines.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, thanks for the advice. I'm having different answers and I surely don't want to start a fight ! But I do want to know the answer thought.

Heli, at a quoted 1 5/8" say you can go with all the stock cable and hoses on their site. Alone, that would be more than 1". Genmar is saying the same with their either 3/4" OR 1 1/4" alone. Fine so far.

My post was about to know if a combination with Genmar products was doable, if I would want to go a bit further. One guy said a
3/4" Genmar spacer AND Heli combo would work but after rereading his post he didn't said specificaly he didn't change the hydraulic hoses.

So what give ?

Thanks for your time and patience answering this with some more details.

I have 1 1/4" GenMar risers. Stock hoses were pretty much out of slack, and I had to re-route some of the stock cables to keep them. There may be another 1/8" for the Helibars, but I think that's pushing the stock stuff to the limit. 1" is a safe number without having to move mounting points and changing cable routing.

I have .75" risers and helibars on my gen2(gen1 works the same), I also have stock length lines. The clutch/brake lines have enough slack to reach fine. I did remove the throttle cable bracket off of the right/brake side of the frame(in front of the gas tank).
There's no need for the bracket as the slack it held is now taken up on the risers/helibars.
I put the bracket bolt back in and it's noticeable in the picture.
The clutch/brake master cylinders just clear the inside of the windsheild at full lock too.
I've been running this combo(as have others)for several thousand miles with zero issues.
The individual spacers are also very strong, as the underside of the top plate casting isn't flat. It's only re enforced around the bolts anyway. The complete one piece spacer is only really needed for looks.

EDIT, Sorry, these are the pictures of the 1.5" risers that I was using since the bike was new. I'll post the right one below.

043.jpg

044.jpg

Here's the heli/.75 combo

You can see that the throttle cable bracket is gone, but still on with the 1.5"risers pictured above.

SDC11033.jpg

:rulez::worthless:

i have the heli-bars on my gen 2. i wanted to upgrade my brake lines anyhow so i also ordered longer lines from pashnit. trust me he knows what he's talkin about. i would recommend you upgrade your brake lines. it will not only be safer, but will also improve the feel of your brakes dramatically. the heli bars also bring the bars back some. you will like them. i also run the buel peg mod.

:welcome: and good luck.

I have Galfer SS brake lines from Pashnit, they are stock length, and they have enough slack. Look closely and you'll see them on the bottom picture above.

Back