Newb buying gear, too many options...

Balog0351

Registered
Recently passed the MSF course and got my endorsement, now in the process of buying gear and I'm having a hard time. If money was no object I'd get a full set of race leathers (and textiles) for every condition, but like everyone I'm trying to walk the line between risking myself unnecessarily by being cheap, and paying thousands on gear that is the equivalent of a five point harness nomex suit and fire suppression system in the family minivan. And unlike most products it's hard to find either quality lab testing or enough anecdotal evidence to be statistically significant.

I have a Snell rated full face helmet, and a sturdy Alpinestars leather jacket with some armor. However, I'm having trouble filling in the rest of the slots.

Gloves: I've been looking at full gauntlets with hard armor. 1. is that level of protection overkill 2. I've tried on a few different brands/models and I'm having trouble getting a good fit. I've read a lot of reviews, but given the trouble I've had finding a comfortable pair I'm reluctant to buy online.

Pants: I'd planned on getting a pair of lower grade textiles with some armor, but after reading through some crash reports on the forums I'm wondering if I should get either a one piece suit or pants made to attach to the jacket. Also, what are some well thought of brands?

Boots: again, I had been planning on using my hiking boots but now I'm wondering if I need some type of specialty gear with hard armor?

Finally, where do you all buy your gear? I have no issue with buying good quality older gear on closeout/ebay etc.

Try Newenough.com

Their customer service is the BEST!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

newenough has some great prices.. Tons of brands out there..

Right now I'm looking at getting Alpine stars Net air boots and Tour master air venture pants..

So many options and brands to choose from.. I'm trying not to be cheap either but i wish i could afford a suit..

Some brands are
Alpine stars
Icon
Tourmaster
fieldsheer
first gear
joe rocket

just to name a few:thumbsup:

for years i rode in some shotgun chaps my daddy made when he was young.

wear a much saftey gear as your wallet and ego allow.:rulez:

look into some kevlar jeans, good stuff. and when picking gloves get the leather whatever. ive been through a pair or two if stillman leather tig welding gloves (work in the shop and the bike). no armor, but good for around 2 wrecks.

:welcome: to the org.
and post up some pics of your bike.

dont b cheap on HELMETS. i know that a arai is more expensive, but when it comes to comfort. when i had my scorpion i could only ride for about an hour before i had to pull over and give my head a rest. my arai i could wear allday and not have any trouble. as for JACKETS, a good summer weight textile from icon is great, alittle heavy but does the job. i wear icon riding jeans, cant tell u if they do the job yet. GLOVES definatly go with something that has carbonfiber nuckels or similar. dont have to b full gloves. BOOTS, i wear alpinestar s-mx 2 boots and they r really comfy for everyday riding. I hope this helps, BUT remember this is my opinion. Be safe and ride

Back