New Zealand's Motorcycle Land Speed Record Attempt Coming Soon!!

Kiwi Rider

Registered
On Friday 9th April 2021, the motorcycle land speed record is about to be broken hopefully.
It's happening just down the road from my place (50kms away) and I'm gonna be there to watch it and film it.
All very exciting and I just can not wait!
The current record is held at 307kmh in the year 2000 on the Britten (NZ built bike!) by Johnny Hepburn of Timaru
Hey, I may just slap on a new set of tyres and have a go at it myself (unofficially of course).
Anyway, read about it here . . . .

Why is the record so low? I think you have a good shot.
To do it officially takes a lot of red tape to be cleared.
This guy Phil Garrett has done a lot of prep for this event, he had it all organised to do it last year but then lockdown put that to bed.
So this year is it, they won't allow multiple teams or individuals (such as myself) to line up and have a go at it, Garrett's attempt will be the only one on this piece of tarmac . . . speaking of which, the reason it's so low (307kmh) is it hasn't been attempted since 2000, a lot of technology has happened since then, but also, have you seen the state of the road they are trying it on??
It's a two lane country road, narrow as hell and bumpy as, the back wheel is airborne half the time! lol.
In essence, I don't have the balls to try it, even though I know my 99 Busa could reach 310kmh with ease, it's a risk of life and limb I'm not prepared to gamble on.

That's a pretty cool thing to have happen in your backyard @Kiwi Rider :thumbsup:. I'll be looking forward to seeing some pics and videos. Oh and it's pretty nice of you to be all humble and act scared of trying it yourself and taking the spotlight off him and putting it on you and your busa;):poke:cause we all know you could do it:banana::race:

On Friday 9th April 2021, the motorcycle land speed record is about to be broken hopefully.
It's happening just down the road from my place (50kms away) and I'm gonna be there to watch it and film it.
All very exciting and I just can not wait!
The current record is held at 307kmh in the year 2000 on the Britten (NZ built bike!) by Johnny Hepburn of Timaru
Hey, I may just slap on a new set of tyres and have a go at it myself (unofficially of course).
Anyway, read about it here . . . .
Have ya got some finer deets on exactly which road and time ?

Have ya got some finer deets on exactly which road and time ?

EVENT DETAILS​

Event Date: 2021-04-09
Club Name: Ashburton Motorcycle Club
Permit Number: 19346
Venue: Public Road
Event Address: 16 McCrorys Road, Pendarves 7777
Track Type: Natural Terrain
Classes:
Type: Road Race
Application Type: Championship Event

From 9am to midday by the looks, gotta hope weather and wind conditions allow it to go ahead too.

Last edited:
That's a pretty cool thing to have happen in your backyard @Kiwi Rider :thumbsup:. I'll be looking forward to seeing some pics and videos. Oh and it's pretty nice of you to be all humble and act scared of trying it yourself and taking the spotlight off him and putting it on you and your busa;):poke:cause we all know you could do it:banana::race:
Hey, it’s his show after all, he’s never going to allow a maniac like me to get out there and whoop it up on my Busa.
I’d wanna spend at least 5 mins doing a safety check on the ol’ gal before opening the tap to reach 200mph lmao!

Well, today was the big day, a bit disappointing really, perfect conditions with no wind and a cool clear day but the ol' Z1000 refused to start . . . .
After an hour of checking everything, they found a wire had come off a coil so that was sorted and they fired it up finally.
Rules say it must be a flying kilometer at max speed one way, then another kilometer the other way, then an average speed of both runs is the official speed.
So after a lot of delays he did one run down the closed road and came back.
Then on the second run at 224kmh the head gasket was spitting out oil so that was the end of that run, and the end of that day. Disappointing, but that's racing I guess.
Anyway, he's going back there on Sunday to try again.
The Busa that ran (unofficially, of course) did 324kmh over the kilometer.
No problemo.
Below, Phil with his bike running . .

and here's the turboed Gen 1 on his run . .

More pics . . .
Below, met up with Nathan (Cantab) and hung out at the closed road.
IMG_2218 (3) - Copy.JPG
IMG_2220 - Copy.JPG
IMG_2221 - Copy.JPG

Below, some pics of the planetary gear system in the rear hub to give a 50% overdrive, vey innovative idea!
IMG_2230 (2) - Copy.JPG
IMG_2231 (2) - Copy.JPG

Below, info on the Z1000, originally a California built bike raced at Bonneville over a 25 year period, Phil rode it at Bonneville also, then bought it and shipped it to NZ 10 years ago.
IMG_2232 (2) - Copy.JPG

Below is John McKendrie's GSXR1100L in drag race trim . . he hit 248kmh.
IMG_2233 (2) - Copy.JPG
IMG_2233 (2).JPG
IMG_2234 (2).JPG

Here's some more pics of the autopsy of Phil's Kawasaki . . .
@c10 will enjoy these engine shots . . .
below, in Phil's garage on Fridy night, the Autopsy begins . .
oh, and that's my older brother sitting down on the right hand side of the shot . .
170037117_1688443731356862_461587095788914983_n.jpg

Top end stripped . . .
169779418_1688443994690169_2674526713912643173_n.jpg

They were not expecting to find this, looks like a clear cut case of detonation if I've ever seen it!
They were expecting to only see a headgasket failure, certainly not damaged pistons!
170342028_1688444488023453_4709584275695949802_n.jpg

So, anyone willing to give their 2 cents about the cause of this damage??

Link to Phil's page for more info . .

Back