new wireless routers

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
so a while back I posted about having some wifi connection/speed issues. Well I finally just said the heck with it and bought a new router. I toyed with getting a new AC class one but ended up with a netgear N900. Claims 450mbps on both 2.4 and 5ghz channels. I doubt I'll see that but so far I'm pretty happy with it. Just ran this test from a section of the house I barely had signal with on the old router and when I did get connection, it was 2-3Mb/s

2728028265.png

If anyone is looking for a new wifi setup or looking to speed things up, holy cow this thing is infinitely better than the Cisco Small Business one I had :cheerleader:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can a better router speed up a slow connection?
I've got AT&T and I can't even stream a youtube on wifi it's so slow.

This is my speed test...
89F17D88-C9C2-41D6-9B96-42DDAD3B17AE-1994-000002BFA2535E08.jpg

:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice numbers.:thumbsup:

I looked at netgear a while ago but I could only use the router I was supplied with by the company I was with at the time.
So I changed company's.

And got fibre optic broadband and the speed jumped from 1.5Mb/s to 26.0Mb/s.
Then I got a new laptop with a i5 processor in it and it went up to 37.0Mp/s.

Can a better router speed up a slow connection?
I've got AT&T and I can't even stream a youtube on wifi it's so slow.

:(

Blanca, a new/faster router will not help with the connection speed you are receiving from your ISP. It is kind of like a chain, the chain is only as strong as your weakest link and in your case, it is the AT&T service that is your weakest link. You could look into something called a cradle point which will take a 3/4G signal and your DSL service and match them together to provide a higher bandwidth. Although, you may be subject to higher cell service bills if your plan does not allow that.

I will be moving next month and will be looking for a new net provider. I will look into this. Thanks for the share

Glad you got your issues resolved!

--Sky

I did thanks to your insights. :thumbsup:

Did some digging and seems that while the Cisco and netgear should have been compatible on different channels, the signal strengths conflicted and the devices were constantly changing channels. The overlapping places were pretty much a dead heat between the two devices for signal quality so the IOS devices were dorked regularly. I turned off the extra APs and everything went back to normal. The signal was still craptastic at the far end of the house and basement but things worked better. I recently put a Netgear r6200 into my parents house and was amazed at the range and speed. I did some digging into others and the Netgear N900 seemed to align with what we could use. 2usb ports that while are slow give us good flexibility. I dont need the AC because I don't and likely wont have an AC device in the next 12-18 months. Overall I would buy this one again but not the Cisco.

That speed test was on a wireless connection from the far end of the house. I haven't had a single dropped connection and best of all my wife hasn't complained once in two weeks about things not working :cheerleader:

Back