New wheels, new teeth?

mekaz

Registered
Hello all! hope everyone is well. So I got a question that is personal experience and opinion based. no wrong answers here lol. So it goes like this...I am currently on an 06 limited, only mod on the power side of things is D&D dual cans. Slip ons. A guy in San Diego is getting rid of some two tone black n aluminum wheels 275 for the set, no rubber but rear has a stock gen1 40T. I dig how they look so I figured I would give them a shot. My question is, would you keep stock gearing in rear or since the wheels are already off, would u choose a better(discretionary) set up? Front and rear sprocket change is completely on the table if necessary or recommended. I'm open to all options, w the exception of stunt sized rear sprockets. I ride a lot, in traffic in SoCal( not LA, OC, which is a lil calmer than LA) as well as 500 milers a day. My riding style would prob be classified as spirited, slightly aggressive commuter who loves canyons and or long rides with an occasional blast to 180, very briefly. LOL, that prob sounds nuts but its all fact. So, if anyones bored, I would love to hear your opinions on the subject and what effects your suggestions would have on the ride-ability and overall performance and overall rider experience. Thanks for your time and knowledge. Also, if u honestly think I should leave it alone, please tell me and why. Stay safe everyone and sincerely, thank you for your time. M

Personal preference dude.You know your riding style and capabilities better than anyone. Gearing changes a lot. Squids have come on here for years asking what gearing changes to make to turn the Busa into a stunt machine.Most members give a lecture,I would sometimes just tell them how to make a wheelie machine.The LSR guys on here can tell you the exact tooth equation to get a Busa to fly. When a bike rolls out of the factory for the first time the gearing choice has been made by some pretty smart dudes. They go with speed,handling,even MPG all fit into the equation somewhat.Having read your entire post,my advice to you would be to leave it stock.Spend yer cash on other Busa bits. There are gains to be made,but also losses at the same time when you mess with gearing.It's not that expensive of a mod to consider trying different choices I guess.Some will say all 3 components have to be changed out together.Front,rear and chain.Some will say hog wash. Its like the great tire debate.Can you run a Dunlop on the front and a Michelin on the rear? Some will say go for it,party on. Some will try to convince you its a life or death decision.
Personal choice my man,personal choice.
Example: "I want to change out my exhaust to get a better sound."
Who has the ultimate,gauranteed,100% correct answer. Nobody.Who might be the best at describing "throaty" or "deep" can perhaps sway a person's choice. Good luck.
Rubb.

I agree, stock works pretty well for all around riding...

I know Bryan ( @c10 ) has had really good gains by changing his gearing. He has corrected his speedometer accuracy by doing so as well-that might be worth the change right there.

Bryan runs or at least ran “turbo” gearing for better mileage while touring. Most people go the other direction. Myself I have had -1+2, stock and now just +2. Honestly except for mpg and where I notice the rpms at, I couldn’t tell you a difference

Got pie?

Stock is good but a few more teeth on the rear sprocket can wake the bike a bit. 3 teeth on the rear sprocket makes the bike a little more aggressive. If you use the speedo, get a speed healer. If you are buying those wheels, you could have to different ratios that you could switch pretty quickly.

Stock is good but a few more teeth on the rear sprocket can wake the bike a bit. 3 teeth on the rear sprocket makes the bike a little more aggressive. If you use the speedo, get a speed healer. If you are buying those wheels, you could have to different ratios that you could switch pretty quickly.
Awesome...... :bowdown:
Rubb.

if you go to 42 on the rear sprocket you can use the stock chain length. I think it increases your engine rpm about 400 more than the stock gearing.

I have stock gearing on my busa and I'm sticking with it when I change sprockets and chain soon. I want to be able to top the bike out and I don't want to be limited by shorter gearing. IMO the busa has good torque down low.

You'd have to search the info here or ask the experts but 'what chain length accommodates the widest range of sprocket gearing?' You can go 1 down on the front to achieve the same result as +3 on the rear (that is a guess). You can go several teeth down on the back to achieve the same result as +1 or 2 on the front. ...or you may want some combination between the two. Of course, the rear is a lot easier to switch out than the engine sprocket but it also effects the wheelbase much more and may be limited by whatever chain length you have to work with.

I went +4 on the rear with my ZX-14 and I love the way the larger sprocket looks. The increased mechanical advantage is fun at low speed. It is like running about one gear lower (~+500 rpm) so to achieve the same effect at higher speeds, I could just downshift. The bike feels more aggressive. It does change the character of the bike a bit. A few extra teeth on the back will not kill you. Taking off from low rpm, it is not a huge difference from stock gearing. I can wheelie better and I never flipped the bike. I can still do at least 180 and it appears likely I might hit the 11,000 rpm rev limiter at 190 with my current gearing. This is the 14. The busa has different stock sprocket gearing and probably the gearbox gearing is different too. Based on my knowledge of both bikes and my experience with +4 rear on the 14, I would say +4 on the busa would be a good choice for you. It will be somewhat snappier than a Gen1 14, it always was. If you don't go up enough teeth on the rear, you won't be able to tell much difference. I am sure +4 will throw your speedo off considerably. I use a SpeedoHealer on the 14 and it is dead on 0-90 mph according to GPS. It was too difficult to test above 90 on the street but I presume it's accurate all the way if it made it to 90 with no error.

Find out how far your wheel will be pulled forward and if that will effect tire size choices. I do not think +4 on the rear would. Look into chain length requirements. I have one extra link on my 14 with a +4 rear sprocket and that puts me at stock WB and allows me to use a 200/55 tire.

As far as switching both sprockets and chain or one sprocket only, it probably does matter over the long haul as far as longevity of those parts. Racers are swapping around gearing all the time though. Find what you like and then you'll probably stick to it. I would never change a chain and front sprocket just because the rear is worn out. I use two aluminum rears for one steel front and one chain. I have changed the chain and both sprockets after the front is worn out even though a good quality chain probably would go a while longer. How ever you do it, the parts will probably wear at a faster rate for a short time and then they are worn in together. You just adjust your chain tension as needed.

Finally, if the wheel is already off, it will be easier if you put it back on to break those sprocket nuts loose! :laugh:

Last edited:
Like everything gearing is another personal choice I personally don t like my motors to be revving to much Most of my riding is semi to long highway riding When I had my 08 busa I felt it was a bit busy revs wise in top gear so I installed a 19 tooth on the front and for me it was perfect then On my current ZX-14 now I am going to leave the gearing stock as it suits my needs perfectly :thumbsup:

That was initially my idea too, stock for the long hauls and something shorter for playing around in town. RedBull also sent me something that I didn't consider which is my weight. I'm 230 before gear and I always ride w almost full gear, leather pants being the only part I don't yet own. Ok, well thanks for the response and looks like Ima have to do a lil more research. take care, M

Back