NEW ULTRA LAZY CHAIN CLEANING TECHNIQUE?

OB_Dirty Pete

Registered
Tonight, I just put the Busa up on the race stands, started it, put it first gear at idle, put a big pan under the chain, blasted WD 40 through the lower (return) chain until no more dirt was falling into the pan, pressed a rag against the chain at the sprocket until it was clean and dry, sprayed my Silkolene chain lube for many revolutions, ragged it again, cleaned the rear wheel and tire while it was still running and POOF!!!!

The cleanest chain & sprockets I've ever had.

Took only minutes and I've got clean hands.

I say let the engine do the work.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 10 September 1999).]

no, that's not what I ment. Any way, wd-40 is a very good parts cleaner. Have you tried CRC brakleen? Mac's has a similar product called brake and electric motor cleaner(#4700). Be carful with this stuff, if you get it in your eyes you'll wish you'd had a run in with FC and his pepper spray (safty glasses)...It will out clean almost any thing. I like the wd-40 alot, because it does still lube as it cleans.

brakleen & mac#4700 leave no residue, just real clean parts.

[This message has been edited by maui (edited 10 September 1999).]

I still remember the guy who used the same trick to clean his chain, he looked funny with only 2 1/2 fingers, lol.

[This message has been edited by Waltman (edited 10 September 1999).]

I always use this method on my ZX11. The WD40 or CRC when sprayed on the inside of the chain does a good job of flinging out road grime. Caution is needed with finger as prevously mentionned. I use the WD40 first, warm up the chain with a moderate ride, then spray on chain wax. For some reason gear changes and general ride seem a lot smoother

I agree totally with Waltman and Coops. Be real sure not to get a finger or thumb into the teeth...or a shirt sleeve.

[This message has been edited by Mr Bear (edited 11 September 1999).]

I've never used WD40 to clean a chain but there is nothing better to remove brake dust, chain lube and general gunk from wheels. I clean my chain but I use chain lube to do it. Spray on - wipe off then spray on again. I have no opinion as to whether using WD40 for this is a good idea or not.

Regards

Lyle, I promise to remove my necklaces, bracelets, loose shirtsleeves, fringe jacket, bandana, leather tassle pinky ring and I'll net my beard and bunch back my flowing mane whenever I clean my chain this way, but wait........

What if the neighbors see me like this?!

I'd be practically naked!

No poop on the finger warning. I've severed a finger and had it re-attached...no picnic at all.

The only time you're in danger is when you're using the rag. To minimize danger, press the rag onto the chain at the back of the sprocket where the chain is tight to the spocket. The most important thing is to put pressure on the rollers, or you will just be cleaning the outside edges of the links.

VEGAS: There's no problem doing this unless you get chain slap while idling. I don't get any chain slap, as the tranny/chain/ wheel provide enough resistance to keep a slight load on the engine.

This method makes the chain look and perform NEW again!

One little point about WD40:
It also penetrates the O-rings (as it's supposed to) and dilutes the grease in there (as it's supposed to).

Are you guys sure you know what you're doing?

For a non-Oring chain, sure, it's perfect. For the Bus, I'd get a more official opinion.

Dirty Pete and others. BE CAREFUL with necklaces, long hair etc while working around a moving machine. In my youth as an Army medic I treated a guy who had his face sucked into a generator by his dogtags. Talk about ugly.

Thinking about it, I'll do it the slow way.

The jury's out on WD-40 & O-rings, but I've heard no negative reports with any hard evidence.

People have been using it for this purpose forever.

It's silicone based stuff I believe, and silicone won't hurt rubber, plastic or neoprene. In fact it's good for those materials.

If you're really concerned, why not e-mail Tsubaki or WD-40 and ask them directly. We'd all like to know their answers.

As dangerous as we all know this approach is:

Let me fully understand that you only apply the rag to wipe off at rear of sprocket where
chain is tight against sprocket, correct?
Coincidentally, I was recently told about a guy that lost the tip of his finger (for eternity) as it was destroyed in the sprocket.

Maybe I will try it with some welder's gloves own instead, as the thought of the pain tightens my sphincter! I did not spell that right, did I?

Fingers come with you at birth and are removed when using tools,explosives and other machine products improperly.
Best bet is to put your bike on a rear stand and spray the WD-40 on the chain and use a old tooth brush or motorcycle chain brush,wipe the chain down,spray again with WD-40 and brush,wipe off again,then start your bike and let the back wheel spin for about a minutes to fling any loose dirt,turn the engine off then wipe down the chain and wheel and swing arm,then use 90wt gear oil or WD-40 on the chain and wipe off any excess oil and you're done.Use cheap mechanic rubber gloves to keep your hands and finger nails clean,they come in packs of 100 to a box and run around $6.50 to $10.00 a box.

Back