New turbo project, Input needed

arthur39

Registered
Hey everyone, I was looking at starting a new project this year for the bike, and need some help. Pretty much on a budget, wife watching finances,(she would only agree on a Corbon gun slinger seat), i think with the both of us on it, it will need a little boost. ;).So on the down low I was looking to put together my first turbo system. Just looking for a stage one turbo daily driver 6 pounds of boost, stock motor. Simple reliable system that can be put together, I like the Muzzy exhaust on it, can I use that to tie into the wastegate.I can prefab at my work, welding,bending etc. Would like to keep the turbo inconspicuous, filter on inside of fairing. Any input on parts. From what I hear these are the parts I should start with. Any input or references to start the process would be appreciated. Also wondering about the oil cooler lines. Will a basic turbo get in the way, do i remove the system or move it? Thanks

EVO3 Turbo- 750 {ready for the gate with all the dumps}
Tial 38mm gate- 200
Header- 450
intake and up pipes- 400
Blow off valve- 125
hoses fittings and connectors- 150
Fuel pump, rail, fmu, regulator, filter, and other fuel parts- 375
power commander- 265

For the price of all those parts you could get a used system and save a ton of fabrication time. :thumbsup:

The original oil cooler is removed, permanently. You can buy ones that fit in other places but a lot of guys just go without one.

Last edited:
I can get em for less than that on ebay, have the power commander :rofl: those were the prices on one of the posts, looks like used systems go for around 2 grand. Trying to match or beat that. It would be easier for me to pay for it piecemeal during the next 4 or so winter months.

4 months? I found pics from 2/7 last year when I went on a ride. I'm hoping another month will yield some clear roads and near freezing temps to at least allow me out of the garage! :rofl:

You can get used systems for 1500-2000, just have to look around and be patient. (Save up while looking around) :laugh:

I am looking for a kit for sure , want to make sure it has an external waste gate, I here some of them have an intenal gate which could be bad. Do you know if all of these kits can be made stealthy *exhaust pipe and hidden air filter*

Hidden air filter is simple, round K&N clamps right to the side of the turbo intake.

Most have external wastegates, shouldn't be a problem finding one. Full exhaust simply requires the correct pipe coming off the turbo exhaust, again, fairly easy to find as there are a lot out there but the kit would make things easier to ensure the bolt pattern on the exhaust mates up to the turbo.

Not sure the word "budget" an "turbo" can get along in the same sentence but good luck with the project:thumbsup: Its a dream I have also, but if she thinking about a seat an you thinking about a turbo I expect you an the couch to share many, many evenings together :laugh:

save your cash for 4 months,buy a kit and bolt on in a weekend,or by piece by piece and then spend 4 months trying to figure out a weekends worth of work..I say all depends on how you like to spend your time.

ur right im on the coach right now:rofl: . I think a stage one system is do- able without being overly expensive and demanding on the engine. Just getting ideas on the best route to take when doing this, sounds like looking for a used stage 1 and going from there. I saw a nice one on the org that went for 1700. Just looking for basic stage 1 turbo.

For the price of all those parts you could get a used system and save a ton of fabrication time. :thumbsup:

The original oil cooler is removed, permanently. You can buy ones that fit in other places but a lot of guys just go without one.

Been running without one since 2005 and no problems! Just be religious on changing the oil :whistle:

I am looking for a kit for sure , want to make sure it has an external waste gate, I here some of them have an intenal gate which could be bad. Do you know if all of these kits can be made stealthy *exhaust pipe and hidden air filter*

an RCC kit utilizes an under bodywork air filter and paired with a full exhaust would be as stealth as you're gonna get until they hear it spool :thumbsup:

save your cash for 4 months,buy a kit and bolt on in a weekend,or by piece by piece and then spend 4 months trying to figure out a weekends worth of work..I say all depends on how you like to spend your time.
+1

engineering a kit can really turn into a $$ idea... how many screwups do you get before you equal a kit that just bolts on and you can expect not to break 100 miles down the road?

Good luck with it. Love the look and sound of dump pipes, and running a full exhaust will only fool a fool. Let us know how it goes, and no, I don't know any good divorce attorneys :laugh: I'd use the pancake airfilter regardless, don't like the huge filter hanging off the bike either.

thanks, for more input, mind is made up on finding a used kit, keep me in mind, if anyone has one for sale, I am looking at that kit on ebay, just gonna take me about 2 weeks for the "dough". I have a lead on a kit for 2800 here's what is said
"i have a velocity stage two with upgrade dual ball bearing and water injection fuel pump and boost controller too much too list"
should I jump on it. Is that a deal too good to pass on? Any input on this setup for a stock engine?

a velocity kit (I believe and do not know for sure) is unable to use a small air filter and fit under the body work because of the mounting position of the turbo itself and usually they require an airfilter coming thru the plastic.

Back