New toy arrived ;) KTM 1190 Adventure R

Most of KTM's off road & duals are ridiculous tall. Took a class & 6ft + guy had brand new enduro that he had toone leg tip toe just to sit on when stopped.

Yeah I’m just under 6 and it puts me on my tip toes. Not really a fan of that if I have to stop on uneven road or encounter gravel/dirt hill and have to stop. Seen plenty of riders go down in similar situations due to not having solid footing. Guess that’s why they add the crash bars and aluminum panniers :D

Yeah I’m just under 6 and it puts me on my tip toes. Not really a fan of that if I have to stop on uneven road or encounter gravel/dirt hill and have to stop. Seen plenty of riders go down in similar situations due to not having solid footing. Guess that’s why they add the crash bars and aluminum panniers :D
Yeah would expect more from an expensive quality company. How many people are so extreme use wise that they need/want that much clearance? How often do most even see dirt? Don't get me wrong ktm makes great stuff but for the price I felt for the guy buying a bike that didn't really fit him.

My friend's new '19 Honda 450L is a wheelie machine.
So far I've only ridden it once.
First chance I get he'll video me doing some wheelies. Good ones too, there's a half mile stretch out in the cut we play at, I'll walk it through there.
It's been several years since I posted any wheelie pics or videos here, so I'm way overdue.
And the 450 is suprisingly wheelie happy through 4th gear, just nail it and it lifts the front.
It feels super light too, I don't get all the reviews I've read saying they are heavy, and feel heavy. Several reviews state the CRF250L is lighter, and had a strong bottom end...lmao! He traded his 250 on the 450, and the 250 is a pig, with No power!
Stay tuned, as he's useless until hunting season is over.

This has to be the quickest dual sport to ever come out of Japan(the 250, 400, and 650's couldn't touch it, anywhere, handling, acceleration, braking, etc).
It feels just like the 450mx bike, only it unfortunately lacks the agressive throttle response(factory detuned for street), but it does have a 6th gear.
I got it to 84mph quickly, and then the mph was still slowly picking up.
Maybe it'll do 90, idk.
20181005_182040.jpg

Seen a couple articles on em and reviews. Seem to be mixed yay and nay. Heard they have ridiculous service intervals like every 1,500 miles or something? I’m not a fan of that the peanut gas tank and the $11k sticker price.....:crazy:

Oh, and the new Honda CRF450L's seat, lets just say a 2x4 would be an upgrade.
My ass hurt for 3 days after a 10 minute ride.
I sure hope it breaks in and feels better.
Otherwise, the bike is awesome.

Seen a couple articles on em and reviews. Seem to be mixed yay and nay. Heard they have ridiculous service intervals like every 1,500 miles or something? I’m not a fan of that the peanut gas tank and the $11k sticker price.....:crazy:

Retail is $13,900
He paid 10.5 otd, I think $8k + $2500 for his 2013 CRF250 on trade(and it was only just over $4k new).
And yeah, service intervals are crazy.
Service manual says oil change every 600 miles!
For anyone who has ridden mx, you'll want a little more umph(like any bike really, I want as fast as possible), but otherwise, it feels like riding a 450mx race bike...with a worse seat, if you can imagine that.

Yeah I knew I remembered reading something about an incredibly short service interval!!! Thanks but no thanks......:banghead:

I would expect something like that out of Doocati or MV Agusta but not Honda. Hell I knew guys that NEVER changed any kinda fluids on their dirt bikes or crotch rockets and them things ran forever

Yeah I knew I remembered reading something about an incredibly short service interval!!! Thanks but no thanks......:banghead:

I would expect something like that out of Doocati or MV Agusta but not Honda. Hell I knew guys that NEVER changed any kinda fluids on their dirt bikes or crotch rockets and them things ran forever

Yep, him or I couldn't belive it either.
I need to find engine specs on exactly why.

My riding buddy had an XR650 and it was really geared towards dirt riding but too heavy for that. He got rid of it as he found he was not using it as a dirt bike and it sucked as a street bike.

I had a CR250R 2 stroke and it was downright scary to ride, I had to get rid of it as I was eventually going to get hurt on it.

My Suzuki 250 Quad Racer was a lot of fun, I wish I could have street-legalized that

Have you looked into it? I haven’t done it with my KTM. What I have heard is that DMV can’t tell the difference from street or dirt with KTM.

Well the difference is there is no vin # and you need that to register and plate. Being a Factory race bike I would need to find out what frame everything will transfer over to but I would imagine this frame is probably lighter and maybe configured slightly different then oem. For now I’m just gonna do a light kit for the street and tear it up in the mountains.

A little update . The 17 tooth countershaft sprocket ( OEM ) won't come off due to clearance . There is a grove in the swing arm for teeth clearance . On some affected models the engine is placed further back making swing arm removal necessary. Now KTM sells a slightly shorter tooth 17 sprocket . I pulled the swing arm shaft halfway out , and was able to push rear of arm slightly to get the sprocket off .
Get this in order to get all air out of cooling system after a change one must elevate the front end off the ground ( on a ramp ) at least 19.1 inches ;) Working on this bike looks easy at a glance , but some items are quite different from other brands . I have some metal in the oil , and both drain magnets had metal shards the size of newborn baby finger nail clippings ( best way to describe them ) So owner wants a 2nd oil / filter change at 25 miles to see if more metal flake is present . Also need to pull clutch cove to view clutch spring bolts ( pressure plate ) as it seems to have a similar issue the Bird does with them coming lose contackting clutch cover . I share some photos in a bit .

I wonder if some metal in the clutch pack is deteriorating? Should be easy to see once the cover is off. I saw a middle fiber plate come apart but was still being ‘used’ as the pack was engaged and disengaged. As it slowly disintegrated tiny bits fell into the oil and were found in the pan and the filter. Good luck.

My feelings exactly when I saw the miniature tank and service intervals, combined with busa territory price tag. Makes me like my pig (DR650) with tons of upgrades even more. Maybe I shouldn’t sell it, like I’ve been pondering to do lately.

How many miles is on that KTM?
71xx Found out this is supposedly its 1st oil change . New D.I.D. chain is on now , and wow is it silent compared to the stock unit . The original was toast . In one location it had the 1.5" ( 1.77 " max ) chain slack .
Roll it a quarter turn there was less than .5" , and felt like a banjo string . Some noise in video is actually the old chain . 118 links , and it was as long as the new 120 link .

Back