new too me harley .1999 fatboy i think ?

mattyss

Rockin My Reflectors
Donating Member
Registered
I never thought i would get one I love sportbikes had a metric cruiser in 99 and hated it (Suzuki marauder)anyway this was one of those deals I couldn't pass on owner lives in Florida bike was in colts neck NJ in a house that was just sold guy needed it gone last night it was a fire sale so i jumped on it .
bike has sat for 5 years i didn't even try to start it has custom paint all pm controls a lot of chrome although it all looks dull but not too pitted .also has a worked S&S super stocker motor s&s carbs custom drag bars grips all the fancy stuff.guy wasnt a bike guy just a guy with money who wanted a harley doesnt even know which motor is in the bike or if its a 5or 6 speed no joke
 man claims he has over 30 k in the bike .Which i call BS on right away but who knows

I need help I know nothing about Harleys and I'm betting there's a bunch of guys here who do .I want to get it cleaned up and running and see what all the Harley fuss is about .I dropped if off at a friends garage last nite I'm going to go and get it tonight to bring home with someone strong too help get it out of my truck .

here are some pics
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery....it.y=20

Any advise would be really helpful I plan to get started on it in the morning and don't know where to start worst case I clean it !

314655346.jpg

sitting for 5 years damn!!!fluids need change..engine..clutch and trans.battery probably no good.tank might need cleaned out and carbs.I'd pull the plugs and squirt oil in the cylinders before I spun it over.That s&s engine will have lots more power than a stock harley.
goodluck
beerchug.gif

I'm by no means any type of authority on the H-D, but yours looks to have a lot more S&S in it than HD. Are you sure it's not a "custom"

You know, every time I think I'm ready for one of these type of things, I scrounge a ride on one, and always come back saying nahhhhhh not for me.

Good luck with it though, let us know how it works out, and riding impressions
winkold.gif

I'm by no means any type of authority on the H-D, but yours looks to have a lot more S&S in it than HD. Are you sure it's not a "custom"

You know, every time I think I'm ready for one of these type of things, I scrounge a ride on one, and always come back saying nahhhhhh not for me.

Good luck with it though, let us know how it works out, and riding impressions  
winkold.gif
the guy kept calling it a custom i didnt know what he meant .it was inspected and given a custom title but it is a fatboy frame whats the S&S of which you speak do you know which S&S motor it is ?

Nope, sorry, can't help you there, but did you try poking around S&S and a few harley forums (are there such a thing?)

I know you could build a bike from the S&S catalog though. A complete HD clone without a single HD part on it.

What do you want to know?

PM me a list of specific questions, and I'll get back to you.

A little update

got it running cleaned carbs changed fluids battery and plugs and took it for a spin .

1st ride dumped all the fuel out of a broken fuel line stuck on side of highway with no plates or reg .long story but got home safe fixed line all is well again
2nd ride broken oil line dumped all my new fresh oil out of the bike under the rear tire and all over the rear brakes another long story but got home safe again all fixed up . removed both wheels greased everything new brake fluid bleed cleaned calipers 2 day job , tighten front end feeling good lets try again

3rd ride vibrated the dash board off then would just cut out at around 60 mph did this for 10 minutes then it seemed to fix it self and that has been fine since my best ride so far didn't need to get picked up by wife in the pickup truck this time got home tighten and locktited about everything I could get to. all is well again

4th ride yesterday dumped the oil again from someplace new this time pushed it home about .75 mile put it away with an oil diaper under it. 16+ years of Japanese bikes I never new what an oil diaper was now I have a case of them .Haven't touched it since I need a break from it

What a POS this thing is just venting

I did find out what it is as far as the motor its an s&s with 3.5 bore and its 89" I don't know what this all means but good to know what it is also the bike is a custom and was built in 98

would anyone know how to decode this vin number from Harley its not the bikes vin bike has been re tagged. Its the frames vin was curious about what it started life as 4k7s81353xooo5554.

317789393.jpg

Matt. Your out of the group...

Okay, you can stay!
thumb_up.gif

Congrats. Hope all is well. We gotta ride soon! But, er, it sounds like you better bring a chase tow if your gonna ride that?
Sorry your having trouble, hope you get it all worked out Brother!

Matt. Your out of the group...

Okay, you can stay!  
thumb_up.gif

Congrats. Hope all is well. We gotta ride soon! But, er, it sounds like you better bring a chase tow if your gonna ride that?
Sorry your having trouble, hope you get it all worked out Brother!
I checked your thread last night hoping to hook up for a few rides this year didnt look like you have anything planned over there yet ..I wont be riding the harley thats for sure

"would anyone know how to decode this vin number from Harley its not the bikes vin bike has been re tagged. Its the frames vin was curious about what it started life as 4k7s81353xooo5554."

I'm a little confused by your question. That ain't a Harley VIN, brother. A VIN for a Harley would read 1(USA)HD(manufacturer)1(heavyweight mcy)XXX(model designation)XX(check digits)X(year digit), and the rest of the numbers are the unit serial number.

That looks more like a MSO Number for the frame.

It's a nice bike, but your problems may be beyond the level of TLC, and work that you are willing and/or able to do. There is nothing in your list of problems that can't be fixed. If you are blowing oil, see where your crankcase breather hose leads to. I am guessing it just ends up going nowhere. If it is, let me know, and I'll let you know what you can do to fix it. Your problem is not uncommon, especially in a bike that sat for a period of time. Don't sweat it, it's not an expensive fix. However it may require some professional attention, depending on how mechanically involved you want to get.

"would anyone know how to decode this vin number from Harley its not the bikes vin bike has been re tagged. Its the frames vin was curious about what it started life as 4k7s81353xooo5554."

I'm a little confused by your question. That ain't a Harley VIN, brother. A VIN for a Harley would read 1(USA)HD(manufacturer)1(heavyweight mcy)XXX(model designation)XX(check digits)X(year digit), and the rest of the numbers are the unit serial number.

That looks more like a MSO Number for the frame.

It's a nice bike, but your problems may be beyond the level of TLC, and work that you are willing and/or able to do. There is nothing in your list of problems that can't be fixed. If you are blowing oil, see where your crankcase breather hose leads to. I am guessing it just ends up going nowhere. If it is,  let me know, and I'll let you know what you can do to fix it. Your problem is not uncommon, especially in a bike that sat for a period of time. Don't sweat it, it's not an expensive fix. However it may require some professional attention, depending on how mechanically involved you want to get.
I was thinking it wasnt a harley vin I found 3 different resources about harley vin breakdowns and found nothing close listed anyplace
ill look for that breather hose after work and see if thats where its coming from the last leak of oil came from the hose on the oil tank which conects to the frame botom left of oil tank

thanks again was hoping you would chime in again I felt bad to ask you again

and a few harley forums (are there such a thing?)
There's SEVERAL Harley Forums, VS 1 Hayabusa forums.
pillepalle.gif

You guys forget, Harley has been around for decades, Hayabusa's
have only been around for 9 years. There's probably 100 harleys
out there for every 1 Hayabusa.
whistling.gif

Now that we're done establishing that....
Nice Fat Boy, first thing I would do is ditch the old man white walls myself.
I own an '05 Harley FXDWGI - which for newbs is a Dyna Wide Glide fuel injected.

Fat Boys really glide nicely due to that fat ass tire up front.
I rode my boys '03 when we switched, and the fatter front tire REALLY makes a
difference in ride quality. They're very comfortable cruisers.

I also have the same swoop drag bars you have, but I'm taking them off
for a angle edge drag bar like the Street Slammers. I like the bend, not
the swoop myself.

" thanks again was hoping you would chime in again I felt bad to ask you again"

No problem at all. Let me know about the crank case vent line. BTW: check the oil level with the bike standing up, not on the jiffy stand. If you block the [/I]oil tank[/I] vent you will be in for a big surprise. Not to mention a big clean up job.

Back