New to the track

barkleyw

Registered
I picked up a bike a few months back to start drag racing - I live in WI so I have all winter to prepare and I have a lot of learning.

The track i will bring it to follows IHRA rules so I am trying to make sens of it all.

Am I correct in that Pro-Street you can't have wheelie bars but you can have an air shifter?

Where is the best place to learn all of the rules or what is and is not allowed. I went to the IHRA site and looked through the rule book but it mostly focuses on cars.

Also - I am fairly long legged...pulling my legs quickly up on the factory pegs (1999 busa) seems awkward..maybe I just need to ride it more - I am use to a cruiser...if I air shift is it common to put pegs back further - if so where do they mount. I suppose I would want control of that rear brake so maybe putting my legs back is not a good idea.

I am really green at this but looking to learn.

I don't drag race but a good set of rearsets should do the trick for the foot peg locations.

Welcome. What track will you be going to? It is fairly common for guys to put a set of pegs on the rear swingarm. ProStreet is generally the guys with turbos or nitrous running high 6's and low 7's. If you want to race and have fun you can do pretty much anything to the bike you want. Well anything normal. You can run a wheelie bar and/or a slick if you like (I don't recommend it) stretch, lower, air shifter, build the motor, nitrous, clutch, the list is endless.

Welcome. What track will you be going to? It is fairly common for guys to put a set of pegs on the rear swingarm. ProStreet is generally the guys with turbos or nitrous running high 6's and low 7's. If you want to race and have fun you can do pretty much anything to the bike you want. Well anything normal. You can run a wheelie bar and/or a slick if you like (I don't recommend it) stretch, lower, air shifter, build the motor, nitrous, clutch, the list is endless.

I will going to the Wisconsin International Raceway in Kaukana, WI. My goal is to see how fast I can get it going without a wheelie bar, and just some basic mods. So, if I understand you right - it sounds like for the ET racing I can do whatever I want to the bike and I do not have to worry so much about what class I am in?

The goal of this summer will be to just get use to the track and learn how to launch.

As far as whether or not to stretch it - is there a guideline or do you have any suggestions on what I would base my decision on whether or not to put an extended swing arm on the bike? I assume the extended swing arm helps keep the front end down? The bike I have is lowered in the rear and I will strap it in the front so will I still need the longer arm?

Thanks for the info!

Yep, for ET racing you can do what you want. Of course there are safety restrictions that are sometimes enforced, but generally don't do anything stupid and you're good. You may find some bike races that have "street bike" rules or some other class rules but those will vary depending on who is sponsoring the race. There is a local one here that doens't allow air shifters (I unhook mine) and you can only stretch the bike 6". Another I used to run allowed air shifters and had a 70" max wheelbase limit (smarter rules in my mind).

As for stretching, it definately helps keep the front end down which helps e.t. It also lets you gear the bike down which makes getting the clutch out and throttle open easier so that helps with e.t. also. My general rule on stretching is if you want to go fast, go as long as you can and still get traction. Around here a 67" Busa is about as long as I think a person should go (I'm going from 63.5" to 67" this winter). A drag racing specific tire like a Shinko Hookup will be a real good idea if you go more than 3" of stretch, otherwise a Pilot Power or similar tire will be ok. Some guys like to run stock wheelbase just for the challenge. I did that for awhile, but decided going fast was the more important. I run a strap no matter the wheelbase. Lowering is always a good idea. There are options to get rid of the strap but it involves cutting the forks and is honestly a level more advanced than what I do.

Yep, for ET racing you can do what you want. Of course there are safety restrictions that are sometimes enforced, but generally don't do anything stupid and you're good. You may find some bike races that have "street bike" rules or some other class rules but those will vary depending on who is sponsoring the race. There is a local one here that doens't allow air shifters (I unhook mine) and you can only stretch the bike 6". Another I used to run allowed air shifters and had a 70" max wheelbase limit (smarter rules in my mind).

As for stretching, it definately helps keep the front end down which helps e.t. It also lets you gear the bike down which makes getting the clutch out and throttle open easier so that helps with e.t. also. My general rule on stretching is if you want to go fast, go as long as you can and still get traction. Around here a 67" Busa is about as long as I think a person should go (I'm going from 63.5" to 67" this winter). A drag racing specific tire like a Shinko Hookup will be a real good idea if you go more than 3" of stretch, otherwise a Pilot Power or similar tire will be ok. Some guys like to run stock wheelbase just for the challenge. I did that for awhile, but decided going fast was the more important. I run a strap no matter the wheelbase. Lowering is always a good idea. There are options to get rid of the strap but it involves cutting the forks and is honestly a level more advanced than what I do.

Excellent info - thank you Dennis! Interesting on the wheel base size - I will have to look into that. As far as I know mine is all stock. I need to get a strap for it - any suggestions? its a 99 busa. Also - I have a Power Commander 3 in it and want to set up an air shifter with a quick shift throttle kill. Since I have a PW3 already is their any advantage to staying with dynojet or what would be the most economical way of getting that on the bike?

Also - on the rear pegs or rearsets - for drag racing are they just pegs I can mount to the swingarm and not have to have levers and linkages to the brake and shifter since I am setting up the air shifter. My natural feel is to just throw my legs back on some pegs and let the air shifter do the work - is this common?

Lastly - I am trying to learn about exhausts - I like the designs that come straight out of the front fairing rather than a pipe back - I think it cleans the back up and keeps clear of my legs. Any info you have on exhaust setups or who makes the exhaust systems you see that come out each side of the front fairing?

Thanks again!

Speaking of rear pegs - I took a closer look at my bike on where I would like my foot placement and found these mounts - are these stock mounts for pegs? I believe this bike was drag raced prior - perhaps this is where he mounted them. It seems like a set of screw in pegs would work well for putting my feet back on.

rear peg mount.jpg

The pic looks like swing arm spools. Check out a rear stand designed for swing arm spools. The pegs on the swing arm are generally only for putting your feet on going down the track. You have to be laid over on the tank to use them, so you would keep the stock rearsets. There are clamp-on style pegs out there that would work with any length arm. You might be able to get by using the spool mounts for some pegs. I guess you can make up a set and see. I have no experience with them. You may want to try to see if you can find some Buell pegs because they are lower and easier to get your feet up. You also might want to try practicing with Buell or stock pegs before you worry about buying something else. I find that I wait until I'm in second gear to bring my feet up, and when I do it I quickly raise my body up because I'm not flexible enough to get the legs up without moving my body. Then get back down quickly.

I have a Cycle-tek air shifter. Matt sells these as a hobby and they work great. Read up on ECU flash. I'm not sure if anything is available for the 99 models since they have the first gen ECU. I have an 08 so my shifter is controlled through the ECU which is the best setup. You can use a kill box otherwise. I'm not aware of any advantage of a PowerCommander regarding the airshifter, but again I use ECU flash for my tuning so my experience with the PC goes back a long ways.

Anybody's strap will work. Schnitz Racing or some site sponsor sells them for sure. I like to put the adjustable side of the strap on the left so I can work the brake with my right hand while pulling on the adjustment strap with my left.

I have a sidewinder style exhaust that you mention. I have it because I needed a short pan (two different wheelies turned into pan-busters) and the typical single side street exhaust goes under the pan on an 08-newer. One thing is they aren't street friendly. It really limits the use of the right side footpeg. My shoe hits on the exhaust even when I'm trying not to. It also limits right hand lean in turns, especially as you lower the bike. I have a Vance & Hines because it is a 4-2-1 style instead of a 4-1 so supposedly it is better for stock engines. There are several companies that sell this style exhaust and generally they all call them "sidewinder". FYI my sidewinder does not make any more power than my old Brocks Streetsmart exhaust.

The pic looks like swing arm spools. Check out a rear stand designed for swing arm spools. The pegs on the swing arm are generally only for putting your feet on going down the track. You have to be laid over on the tank to use them, so you would keep the stock rearsets. There are clamp-on style pegs out there that would work with any length arm. You might be able to get by using the spool mounts for some pegs. I guess you can make up a set and see. I have no experience with them. You may want to try to see if you can find some Buell pegs because they are lower and easier to get your feet up. You also might want to try practicing with Buell or stock pegs before you worry about buying something else. I find that I wait until I'm in second gear to bring my feet up, and when I do it I quickly raise my body up because I'm not flexible enough to get the legs up without moving my body. Then get back down quickly.

I have a Cycle-tek air shifter. Matt sells these as a hobby and they work great. Read up on ECU flash. I'm not sure if anything is available for the 99 models since they have the first gen ECU. I have an 08 so my shifter is controlled through the ECU which is the best setup. You can use a kill box otherwise. I'm not aware of any advantage of a PowerCommander regarding the airshifter, but again I use ECU flash for my tuning so my experience with the PC goes back a long ways.

Anybody's strap will work. Schnitz Racing or some site sponsor sells them for sure. I like to put the adjustable side of the strap on the left so I can work the brake with my right hand while pulling on the adjustment strap with my left.

I have a sidewinder style exhaust that you mention. I have it because I needed a short pan (two different wheelies turned into pan-busters) and the typical single side street exhaust goes under the pan on an 08-newer. One thing is they aren't street friendly. It really limits the use of the right side footpeg. My shoe hits on the exhaust even when I'm trying not to. It also limits right hand lean in turns, especially as you lower the bike. I have a Vance & Hines because it is a 4-2-1 style instead of a 4-1 so supposedly it is better for stock engines. There are several companies that sell this style exhaust and generally they all call them "sidewinder". FYI my sidewinder does not make any more power than my old Brocks Streetsmart exhaust.

Thank you again! Time to do some googling.

Back