New to the Sportbike World

Welcome to the board and congratulation on the new bike.

You have found the place where you can get the answer to anything you need to know.

Please consider this piece of advice. After 15 of riding Harley's, your reflexes are tuned to a completely different type of riding style. You just can't erase what you spent 15 years developing. GO!, to a school parking lot and practice avoidance techniques, braking before you ever are called upon to use them. I also have a Harley parked in the garage and I go and forth between a couple of bikes as many members here do. Things are going to happen faster on a busa so start working on a whole new set of riding skills. Go out a couple times a week and learn what it feels like to lock the brakes up, how comfortable you are leaning it over. Take care. Todd in cinti

Yeah, What he said. I've been riding Harleys for 27 years and got my first sport bike Busa 3 weeks ago. My first thought was scary fast.
kickass.gif
I have gotten use to some of the quickness and have been to 165.
sigh.gif
Not even that could have perpared me for the scare of my live when I decided to twist the throttle hard in 1st gear. At around 5k I slide back in the seat, butt hit the hump and the front started comming up.
muscle.gif
I was hanging on for dear life and felt the a pit in the stomach as all my muscles tighten up from my hands, arm to my toes.
muscle.gif
Even when your told of this powerfull beast you want truely know it till you push it.
fireskull.gif
My advice is to take it slow and get use to it in stages.
idea.gif
Happy Busa-ing

muscle.gif

Put 125 miles on Bike now
jump9.gif
Got my first scare on Saturday,at the light with another bike a 750 who wanted a challenge
tounge.gif
I kinda laughed but what the hell,rev'd it up a little not much and the front came off the ground like a rocket
oops.gif
I was able to hold it and get it down but I didn't even try this.Whata hellava machine
kickass.gif
Have been shall we say a little more cautious since then.Taken it alot more easy.One thing I have noticed is the jerkyness in the 1st 2nd and 3rd gears;is this normal. I have been seeing alot of items on ebay about a module the eliminates the 185mph govenor and this jerkyness;any thoughts guys
rock.gif

quote=KYFLGSXRider,June 07 2003,3:47]Just bought my 40th Anniversary Edition yesterday. Riding Harley's for 15yrs and I will say what a difference. I cannot beleive the power of this bike.The dealer almost scared me into not buying it.I really like the handling and response.Any tips from you experienced Busa riders is appreciated![/quote]

Best tips I can give.  Enjoy the bike, take it as you like it, not as othesrs thing you should like it.
Enjoy little bit at a time.  
If you must change it do it at your pace.  
and have fun.

The device you refer to is a TRE. They work great at smoothing out the low gear jerkiness. It smooths out most of the bad habits the Busa has. To see more on the TRE go to the "Modifications" board.

Realize too that you're coming off of 15 years of riding Harleys and when you twist the throttle on the Harley it is not going to have the explosion of speed that the busa has. There is a heritage springer sitting in my garage. When I jump back and forth from different bikes that is the one thing that I have to keep in mind on the busa. Smooth throttle control or it could buck you off like a bronco.

I see that you're in N. Ky. Northern Cinti. is probably too far for an early morning Sunday ride but a core group of about 10 riders meet year round at a UDF near Kings Island. About a 100-120 mile ride with breakfast at a greasy spoon in between. You're welcome at any time. email me if you like.
strassert@mail.sycamoreschools.org
Todd in Cincy

I GUESS I WOULD SAY WATCH YOUR SPEED I HAVE GOTTEN SOME REALLY BAD TICKETS SINCE I GOT MY BUSA AND WAS NOT RACING OR ANYTHING.100 ON BUSA FEELS LIKE 40 ON A HARLEY.
SPEEDO LIES BUT WILL CHANGE WITH AS LITTLE A DIFFERENCE AS A NEW TIRE.(MORE TREAD,TALLER TIRE)
GET SOMEONE TO HELP YOU FIGURE TRUE SPEED SO YOU WONT BE WORRIED ALL THE TIME.\
THERE IS A CORRECTION DEVICE YOU CAN BUY AND I THINK YOU CAN GET A GPS DEVICE FOR TRUE SPEEDS.

On any given Sunday, you never know what may show up. Yesterday there were 8 guys and the majority were Harleys. There are a lot of BMWs, Yamahas, and Suzukis. This is the UDF at the corner of Rt.22 and 48 which is about 4 minutes from Aces & Eights. The ages in this group of fellas range from about 44 to 54. Not a lot of squids but there are 1 or 2 knee scrapers in the bunch. A lot of the rides cross over into N. Ky. when time permits. If interested sometime, just email me so we know you're coming. Todd

Back