New to the site, new to the Busa...

02BusaMark

Registered
What's up. Just picked up an 02 over the weekend after looking for months. Knew I wanted to switch to a bigger bike last summer after doing a 3K mile trip from Indianapolis to Eureka Springs, and south to Pensacola. At the time I was riding a K4 GSXR-1000 somewhat set up for touring. After the 650 mile day from AR to FL, I had to rest for a couple days (saddle sore/back/neck). When I got back from that trip, I started to debate what bike was going to be next.

Really got back into riding back in 2004. Purchased a '97 carbed CBR1100XX. Bike was alot of fun and had a good mix of fast and smooth. Was in a situation where I couldn't afford a bike and decent car, so bike had to go. Couple years later picked up an 03 GSXR-1000. Bought with the intentions of a little work and selling to make a couple bucks. Changed sprockets/chain, cleaned it up and turned about $500 on it. That got me right to buy my last bike. Sold it about two weeks ago for just a little less than I was into it.

Everyone knows about the power and speed of the Busa, but I wanted one as much for touring... and I know I'm not alone. Been reading up on mods and solutions for distance riding. In the process of changing/adding fluids and familiarizing myself with the bike. Actually, I'm waiting on parts. Have on order H7 35W 5000K HID kit on the way, clear front and rear lenses, RAM stem mounting ball, power port kit, and rear spools. Like to "restore" the finish on parts of the bike, and get it ready for spring.

Here's a couple pics. I'm gonna need to re-cover the front seat (good luck finding that material) and find d a new right hand mirror. Thought I might have some luck with those things here.

IMG_0734[1].jpg

IMG_0735[1].jpg

busa.jpg

:welcome: to the org, nice bike too. I hope a chain is on your list of needed parts.
Lol, chain and sprockets is on the list of things before April. Bike was a little more than I had budgeted, so its nickel and dime stuff while I get it titled and plated.

The chain is a safety item and should be done beofre you put lenses and apperance type mods on the bike. Don't skimp on the parts that can cause you to crash if they fail, ie brakes and chains. We have some good sponsers on here that will hook you up with quality stuff for bargin prices. Hit up Justin from Honda East and Tim from Pashnit. They will save you enough money on the parts you want to be able to afford the chain too.

The chain is a safety item and should be done beofre you put lenses and apperance type mods on the bike. Don't skimp on the parts that can cause you to crash if they fail, ie brakes and chains. We have some good sponsers on here that will hook you up with quality stuff for bargin prices. Hit up Justin from Honda East and Tim from Pashnit. They will save you enough money on the parts you want to be able to afford the chain too.
There is a method to the madness, but I appreciate the advice. The chain issue is being addressed. Heard a few horror stories, but fortunately don't have one to share.

Speaking of is there a good sprocket setup to "heal" the speedo other than stock on the Gen 1? Or is it pretty close. Literally put 2 miles on the bike on a test ride and unloading from the trailer. Paid zero attention to the speedo.

I doubt you can fix it with a sprocket. Mine (gen II) was off about 8% if I remember correctly. Get a speedo healer.

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup: I went two down on the rear to correct my Gen I, but you need to GPS the bike to see where it's at. Hard to beat the stock gearing. Going up a few in the rear will make it quicker. And if you haven't already heard, congrats on buying the fastest color :laugh:

:welcome: to the Org! Motomummy has a good plug-and-play speedo healer (12 o'clock labs speedoDRD) and simple printable instructions on programming.

Back