New to the forum and new to the Hayabusa family

It was my uncles and he passed in August. It’s been properly maintained since new. He was on the waiting list for it back in 97-98 and bought it brand new in 99. As far as I know it had no issues except for the kickstand and a slow trickle leak from the clutch line along with a few cosmetic things. But other than that it’s strong solid bike.

That’s great news! Braided SS brake and clutch lines should fix that. Probably due for fork oil and other maintenance issues as well. Good luck!

Check for rust in the tank. Watch for odd running issues that stem from the fuel pump/filter set up which is why they changed it after 2000. Contact prior owner if posible they may have addressed the posible fuel issues already since it looks well cared for. If it runs well just enjoy it welcome.
It was my uncles and he passed back in August. I don’t think he addressed the rust in the tank issue or if he even knew that was one of the issuses that the first gen Busa’s had. I am gonna do a rust treatment soon and a new fuel filter. Hopefully the external fuel pump is fine.

Beautiful ride! Welcome to the forum :welcome:
Like others said, people have had issues with the external fuel pump setup and have converted to the newer in-tank pump setup. There is also some reports of the rear aluminum subframe cracking with a passenger or heavy luggage, but at the same time, others like the aluminum subframe because of how much lighter it is over the steel one that Suzuki switches to in later years. Post pics of the gauges showing the mileage, please. She looks great!
I will post a pic of the gauges as soon as I get a battery.

Damn good looking bike.
What happened to the left side fairing decal ? It ran away.?
I love the early gen 1’s modern enough to fit in to present day and retro enough to be classic.
Everyone here will be happy to help you in any way we can.
The decal is there it’s just the angle of the bike and the lighting in my garage. Now on the right side it fell over some time ago before I got it and my uncle tried to do a little body work himself (which I’m am going to fix properly).

Sorry for the loss of your uncle. As others have said, it looks to be in great shape. Take care of the maintenance things discussed, keep reading/posting on this forum, and ride it like you stole it!

It was my uncles and he passed in August. It’s been properly maintained since new. He was on the waiting list for it back in 97-98 and bought it brand new in 99. As far as I know it had no issues except for the kickstand and a slow trickle leak from the clutch line along with a few cosmetic things. But other than that it’s strong solid bike.
Lodi has a set of gaffler brake lines for sale $60 to your house. Those wheels were chromed also not stock. You have a one owner bike cleanest i have seen. Hate to say this but you may want to find out what it is worth if sold. You may be surprised.

Superb find. Is this your first Hayabusa? I'm no expert on the chain link count, but wouldn't that depend on what rear sprocket is on the bike (stock v modified)? Will you be working on the bike yourself? Virtually everyone else on this forum will know more about these bikes than I, but my suggestion would be to replace any/all onboard fluids and pop new plugs in, the chain (sounds like you're there already)... just for starters. Congratulations, and enjoy.

How long since it’s been run? If it’s been a long time there are some chores to do (before) it’s even turned over. No use in trying to let bad fuel run thru the lines and injectors. Depending on the time, old fouled oil and dry cylinders can also be a problem.
I’m attacking that before start up

The 99 and 00 have a 16 bit system, 02-07 are 32 bit. Slightly physically smaller, but the main benefit is that upgrading allows for greater likelihood of finding a used replacement if you should need one.
Ooooh ok. I would look into that

No disrespect I get it but a buyer into 99 ,00 or a museum may pay a lot for a one owner unmodified. c10 may be able to say but i think enough for a brand new bird with right buyer.
A motor museum of any repute , will already have a mint copper early production number '99 or such in collection , preferably close to , or zero miles , and those few extreme mint examples are going to be the big $ investment . These bikes are grabbed from Japan , from the factory , if your serious . Other , smaller museums would probably have an early example , some have donated bikes . The other 1000's of examples worldwide , will be of differing value , often down to what the buyers willing to pay . Over many future years , there will be less good condition low mile '99 / '00 Gen 1's running around , less available generally , so the price will get better , but not new bike price yet !!:)

Last edited:
Back