New to the busa forums... riding in Virginia/North Carolina

Sorry... never knew that was something I could do. I do take my bike to the tail of the dragon each year, but never heard of that being talked about by other riders

If you are riding curves, you Need to learn to set sag...and teach everyone you ride with.
It is holding you back.

Well Sixpack is right. Your suspension is designed to work within a certain amount of the stroke of the shock or fork. Setting the sag gives you the full use of that range so the suspension more or less works in factory spec. Also if you have to really crank up the preload to achieve the proper sag, you probably need to look at heavier springs. Ideally, you should use no more than half your preload adjustment to get the proper sag. That will give you some adjustment for extra loads if needed. Most riders don't even pay any attention to suspension as they are focused on power and aesthetics. Suspension is the most important thing on the bike next to a great engine as it effects traction, braking, turning, comfort, and safety. But suspension isn't cheap or sexy, so people overlook it.

Oops, now I'm lecturing!

But suspension isn't cheap or sexy, so people overlook it.
They're not cheap but they're pretty sexy if you get someone who is curious enough to bend down and look up under there!

I'm about 215 lbs without riding gear and the busa's stock suspension is working well for me after eight years. I have Ohlins on my zx-14 and a 200/55 rear tire but the busa has always handled best of the two even stock. Try a 200/55 tire after you get used to the bike or go up in steps like 190/60, 200/55 and maybe a 200/60 from there. I've never tried a 200/60 but the bike leans in a lot easier with a 190/60 and more so with a 200/55. Pirelli is expensive but if you need ultimate cornering grip, those are the tires. I've tried others and some are a little better or worse than the last but Pirelli Super Corsas reallly stand out among the bunch.

Pirelli is expensive but if you need ultimate cornering grip,
I've always liked the Michelin pilot power 2ct. I've never had a problem with them, even on my cbr1k. I know opinions vary but, when riding in virginia international races at, I can power out with those tires.

Back