new to the boards...have a question

njmaier

Registered
Hi all,

I'm new to the boards and I have a question.

I currently ride an '02 RC51 (previous bikes being a Triumph Daytona and a CBR F4) and want to trade up for a Busa.  I want something that will be more comfortable for longer rides as well as 2-up riding...but it still has to be a sport bike.  I'm a speed and power junkie. I'm don't want to go to a full-on sport tourer.  I'm considering a Busa or a ZX-12R.  I'm pretty sure that I want the Busa over the 12, but here's my question:  Which Busa do I buy?

I can get an '03 for $9400 OTD or I can go shopping for a used Busa.  Which would be the better one to go after?  Is there a particular year model that would be better for modifying than another?  What should I look out for when looking at a used Busa?  Can the '03s be modded as easily as the older models?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I need help!!  I need a Hayabusa!!  Thanks.

Nick

no advice?
rock.gif

Welcome to the board. Like Jetset said I would go for new but if you're thinking used I would go for a 01 or 02. The only reason I say that is you plan on 2 up riding. There has been some concern with the aluminumm subframe on the 99 and 00. I have seen only a couple of people here talking about their subframe cracking but when I asked at two local dealerships they have never had one come in bad. The 99 and 00 were not restricted at the topend but how fast do you plan on going? Besides that there are ways around that on the newer models. If you do go used just look at it very closely and know what you are getting.
Jim

Hi all,

I'm new to the boards and I have a question.

I currently ride an '02 RC51 (previous bikes being a Triumph Daytona and a CBR F4) and want to trade up for a Busa.  I want something that will be more comfortable for longer rides as well as 2-up riding...but it still has to be a sport bike.  I'm a speed and power junkie. I'm don't want to go to a full-on sport tourer.  I'm considering a Busa or a ZX-12R.  I'm pretty sure that I want the Busa over the 12, but here's my question:  Which Busa do I buy?

I can get an '03 for $9400 OTD or I can go shopping for a used Busa.  Which would be the better one to go after?  Is there a particular year model that would be better for modifying than another?  What should I look out for when looking at a used Busa?  Can the '03s be modded as easily as the older models?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I need help!!  I need a Hayabusa!!  Thanks.

Nick
Welcome, lots of questions but, really only one answer. First, decide how much your willing to spend. You told us you could buy a new Busa for around $9400, what you didn't say was how much $$ you'd like to spend fixing it up. Which brings us to the next question, What if any mods are you looking to do? You can save a fair amount of money buying used if you already have some modifications in mind or you can start with a clean slate. The real question you have to ask yourself is how much are you willing to spend in time and money! As far as which year to buy it always comes down to personel preferance. Of the known problems all can be addressed and in fact I'd say most owners take care of these imediately if your thinking about a used bike. A simple call to the manufacture with a vin number should eliminate some of the guess work as to service/recall items addressed on each perspective bike and reveal which have been addressed by a authorized Suzuki service center. Basically without rambling on forever I think it all comes down to how much a person wants to spend and what colors look best! Hope this helps...............

I'd be willing to spend a few thousand to mod it. I wasn't thinking of doing too much...just stuff like the exhaust, TRE, PC3, new seat, windscreen, etc.

I've heard of a few people selling their used Busas around here for ~$8200. I just feel uncomfortable not knowing what has happened to the bike in the past (ragged out, dropped, etc.).

Me personally, I'd go with the new and do the mods.

I'm always down for buying the new bike and doing my own mods. I like to know I'm not starting out with anyone else's problems.

Here's a question, Where are you getting a price for an 03' Busa for $9400 OTD? I am looking to buy and could use whatever ammo I can get? I have the dealer here in Tampa trying to scare up an 02 LE for me. What should I look for price wise? Do you all know somethin I don't? I am thinking I should expect to pay retail or keep walking. Any tips would be hugely appreciated.

First of all, that is a good price for an '03. Secondly, the only consideration with regard to mods is if you want to put a Corbin Rear Seat on it for your 2-up reiding. For some reason, the existing Corbins do not fit the 03. However, Corbin will be coming out with an 03 version very soon.

For me, I bought used and put the difference into the mods. Other that the color, there aren't many differences after 2000. Don't buy the '99 with the AL sub frame.

I got that price from Bartlesville Cycle Sports in Bartlesville, OK. That is their cash or check OTD price. I can get the number for anyone that might want it.

Maybe you might want tocheck out a TLR as well. Not that I'm putting the busa down...hell no...but TL's are really fun bikes as well, and even a little cheaper.

I currently have a RC51...the V-twins are definitely fun bikes, but I want something that's better for longer rides. (although I did make a 4500 mile trip on my RC last summer...I'm still sore from it). Don't ask me how I did that.

Thanks for the dealer hook-up offer <span style='color:red'>njmaier</span>. Price wise I think I might be SOL, I think it is pretty much a sellers market here in Tampa, to much perfect riding weather.  But I am going to give it a shot, I mean after all, it is a "Left over" 02'  Special Edition or not it's allready a year old.  We'll see, If any of the 03' color schemes did anything for me I would snap up an 03'  mostly cause of the better brains and fork internals, but, I really groove on the blacked out frame.  Makes it hard to play ...well, hardball.

Definately go with the Busa is my advise.
I just went through the same decision, 12 or Busa.
Rode both and hands down for the Busa.
It does everything a little better.
2 up is more comfortable also, and you still have incredible power.
I'm thinking of building a small removable backrest for my
fiancee so she feels safe.
It will mount to the rear strap with a custom aluminum clamp.

Back