New to riding, how about some advice

djreed2

Registered
I have always wanted a Busa. I'm a little older, and I've been eyeing the Busa since probably 2002-03 when I was playing Army. Here's my lead in to my question: I want a Busa. I have a little experience on street bikes, not a lot though. I will be taking the street course prior to actually purchasing my own. But I am a bigger guy, and I want a bigger bike. So, with that, here's my question: Is there a bike similar in size to the Busa, but with a little less kick that I can learn on? I know the gen I is smaller, in a sense, but it's still a Busa, so it's all in the numbers, not the actual handling for a new person. I like the Ninja as it is about the same size, but again, it's a high power engine.

I'm not scared of the bike, but I also realize that one does not buy a race car when one has been riding go carts for years. Think of this as a mustang "progression" maybe. I'm looking to buy a v6, because it's the same car, just a smaller engine and learning curve. I want to do the same with the Busa. Thoughts?

Who knows, maybe I'll just buy a Busa, but I'm open to suggestions at this time.

BTW, thanks for all the info on this site, I'm going to spend a lot of time here!

Here's my 2 cents... I started on a 550..then went to a 900, but I'm not sure starting on the 550 really made a difference. I could have killed myself on either. At the end of the day...how fast you go is always up to you. If you ride smart...I don't think it matters what you start with. If you're not planning to ride smart...it won't matter either..but you will run out of road faster on the Busa. :laugh:

First; Welcome to the Madness.
Most any motorcycle will be similar to a low power 'Busa. The riding and handling is basically the same, that is, leaning, turning, counter-steering, braking. The power to weight ratio is the biggest Hayabusa difference. Gen II 'Busa's have a "mode switch" that reduces the power output through the ECM computer. It was supposedly to reduce wheelspin in the rain, I think it's a gadget without any real value. In this case it might be just the thing, keep the power down until you're ready. The big 3 motorcycle companies all make a 500CC/Twin sportbike that would be just the thing, plenty of go to start with and some resale value when you want to trade up.
Those are 2 choices. Up to you - or - maybe this gives you some basis for your own plan.....

I know a lot of people in a ton of forums have said over the years in countless threads to start small. There's a reason behind this. In part due to the physical and mental requirements that riding requires vs just driving a cage. In hopes of being a little different and making this response more relevant to you. I'd say do the MSF course at least once and maybe do some more in span of time before you pull the trigger on the busa. And if you do end up getting the busa, try to not ride with groups for a good period of time. I know group rides often espouse "ride your own ride," but it's rough to remember that when you're with a pack of bikes and just trying to hang. Ride safe and good luck in your moto adventure.

All are good responses but I think quicker gixxer said it best. It will only go as fast as you make it and yes ride alone for awhile to get the feel of the bike and how it reacts to different movements im a big guy 6 2 and 315 and I started on a gsxr 600 then got the 750 since then im on my second busa had a gen 1 and now a gen 2 and I wont ride anything else so welcome to the board and ride safe

Two schools of thought. Check out the New Member section and read some of the stuck threads, like Hayabusa for a first bike?, etc.

1) If you have never ridden and want to just tear it up, the busa is not a good first choice.

2) You are a big guy and most other bikes dont fit you, we get it, and.....you want to ride responsibly. The busa could be a fit, like said above, it all depends on your right wrist and how much you twist it. The main issue with a busa as a first bike is it can get you in trouble before you know it. Its heavy, or heavier than other sport bikes.

Only you can make the choice, we have seen many members purchase a busa for a first bike and have many years of enjoyment, other times this is not the case. Keep in mind, one simple drop from a stop can cause thousands in damage, plastics are not cheap. Whether years of expirience or first day out, that wont change. We only seek to educate you so you know what you are getting into. The busa is like no other bike I have ever swung a leg over, smooth, fast, and unforgiving if you dont know how to handle her. But, if you treat her right, take care of her, and be cautious, it will be truly rewarding as any busa owner can tell you. Ultimately its up to you, we can only support you in the decision you make and offer advice based on that decision. Good luck and welcome to the oRg. :welcome:

Take a motorcycle rider course. It will teach you basic survival techniques and get you more comfortable with your bike. Then move to an advanced course when you are ready. MSF provides courses and in some states they are mandatory for your endorsement. You will also get an insurance break with most companies.

While you are on your bike in the mean time, ride mature, calm, cool collected. Even at slow steady paces you will be presented with challenges. Avoid quick lane changes, and trying to get ahead of the pack. Usually harsh judgements and acting without thinking get's you in trouble.

If you are in a group ride, be careful when trying to catch up. Lots of accidents happen when a person underestimates their braking distance and the person in front of them slows down more than expected.

Lastly, ride like everyone out there DOES NOT SEE YOU!!!!. Always assume the person is going to turn left in front of you because sometimes they will. Last weekend I was looking right at the driver and his wife and they were both looking at me but I knew it was coming so I slowed down and there they went. They were both at least 80 years old and just kept going.

It really doesn't mater what kind of bike you ride. True, some will get you into trouble quicker than others but it's really about your level of maturity and how you approach the challenge.

Good luck and be safe.

Are you planning on buying a new busa or a used one? If used, pay close attention to the mods that are on the bike. One in particular can give you grief if you're not careful. That would be the R1/R6 throttle mod. This mod gets you to wide-open throttle in as little as a 1/4 turn. That's great for getting up to speed fast but it does make the busa a bit twitchy.

One of the things that new riders tend to do is to have the grip of death on the handle bars. If you have that mod, and that type of grip and happen to hit an unexpected bump, it's very likely that you will experience sudden, excessive acceleration or even have the bike wheelie. Having that mod also tends to make it a little more difficult to ride the canyons until you get used to it.

The point is that if you do buy a used busa, know what you're getting.

:welcome:

Good luck with your decision! Is it a good first bike? As said above and many times before, It's a big bike, lots of power, blah blah blah...

Worrying about anything other than the mechanics of basic good heads up, safe riding techniques is counter productive when learning to ride. Doing it on a 500#+ sportbike wouldn't be my first choice.

Are you willing to dump a big expensive bike? Pay a pretty penny for insurance? 2 things I would strongly consider.
With great power comes great responsibility. Good luck with your decision and be safe!

Keep in mind if you want a big bike with less power...the Gen II has 3 modes you can use to adjust the power. A, B, and C mode.

(((Or you can just pull two of the plugs!))) :laugh:

Welcome to the org.:thumbsup:

What I noticed when I got my Busa after 33 years of not having a bike was the weight.

I couldn't turn left or right properly because I thought I'd drop the thing.
After some advice from some people on here I went to a car park and practiced driving around slow and after that I felt ok cornering.

I only wish I took some lessons before I started riding again.

Keep in mind if you want a big bike with less power...the Gen II has 3 modes you can use to adjust the power. A, B, and C mode.

(((Or you can just pull two of the plugs!))) :laugh:

Or you could just buy white busa. I hear those have less power than the other colors... :laugh:

Better than a tire or oil question :rofl:

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

I bought my first Busa in 2006 after being out of the saddle 30 years. The bike is all that, but you're the one in control ....

To me the best experience one can gather is in the dirt, it will make any learning curve shorter and prepair you for the street faster if you can get both do it you wont regret it, you will learn balance, off camber corners, less than ideal traction, throttle and clutch control in a tenth of the time if only street riding. In your case and size the Busa could make a great first bike or get you hurt. It depends on your comfort level and your attitude when riding as the Busa is a big heavy and fast weapon. IMHO Natural ability is the most important thing people overlook. You can only answer that one. it's not just driver training courses that save your ass it instinctive reactions that do. this is we're dirt experience pays off, With some riders it may take years to transition to a Busa or GSXR 1000. For others it will be weeks or months depending on your ability or learning curve. if you have to think about it, it's too late in my opinion. I got back in the game this year after a 12 year break although i had lots of previous experience , Rode pro motocross 25 years ago still ride for fun. Had a rg 500 as a street bike in high school as well as an old gsxr750 and lastly a zx7 so the transition to the Busa was no big deal, Now take my brother inlaw he bought a vstar 1100 to ride with me and im scared for him when we ride as it isn't natural when he rides so in turn he thinks about it before he does it. yes he follows the handbook rules buts its not instinctive, he thinks hes safe i say not so. He has dropped it twice ,its just not natural for him , now take his 17 year old son who bought a used gsxr 750 this year as a first street bike , He has rode motocross for 7 years and is safe and has great control, pulls half mile long wheelies doesnt put his feet down when stopped at lights as he understands throttle control and balance from the dirt bike experience he gained, Whatever you decide be safe nothing is worth getting hurt over. gen 2 with the ABC switch may be the best fit.

Ride slow...look ahead and look behind.

3 gear motorcycle

Thats Lambs advice

The Busa was my first bike. I didn't believe going through multiple bikes was for me...not to mention potentially expensive. I purchased my 2012 in March of that year, I'm in my mid forties with a good head on my shoulders and I stay in shape so the weight of the Busa is not an issue. I tinkered with the ABC Mode for about a week...but there is no substitute for A Mode! Take the MSF course, read up on riding mechanics and safety, practice your emergency maneuvers and braking....and most of all ride at your own pace - it will all fall into place. Lots of great advice by veteran riders on this thread, so decide what is best for you. Getting the Big Bird from the get-go was right for me. Good Luck.

I have driven a CBR 600. That's where I learned to ride, but it has been about ten years since I was on a sport bike. Due to my lifestyle, I have gotten my speed demon out by trail riding and mountain trail riding. I feel comfortable going fast with a limited forward visibility, but I also recognize that having a 1300 engine is not the same as hitting the dirt. Thanks for the tips, I am excited. I am old, so I think I'll be able to maintain some level headedness while I'm riding around. I am not really a group guy, I just want something new I can chase cars with.

Back