New to me '99 - Random Engine Cut Out

wallaman

Registered
New to the forum and new to Busa's. Just brought home an extremely clean '99 with about 3600 miles, all stock. Battery is good and the bike starts, idles and runs fine but..... As you are riding along, occasionally the engine just dies. Sometimes it will restart after a few seconds on its own, and sometimes I need to actually turn the key off and on and it will restart once the dash turn on sequence is complete. Sometimes after a sustained freeway speed run, it will stall as I downshift coming to a stop. When it does cut out, no dash reset, no error lights/codes that I've noticed. I have no service history and have yet to clean/change the fuel filter or check the fuel pump, etc. I've spent a good bit of time searching the forum for similar issues but none seem to be quite the same. I've got no surging or stumbling off idle or at any particular RPM range. Bike idles fine at 1200-1500 rpm (I turned up the idle to 1500 RPM to see if it would stop the problem). Fresh gas. Side stand switch seems to work properly. Any thoughts? Trying to narrow the direction of my search.

Thanks from a new member,
Chuck S.

:welcome: to the org. That's not many miles for a 16 year old bike. Great find. My guess would be go ahead and do the fuel pump and filter mods. Even if that's not your problem now it will be in the future. I would also have the injectors cleaned while I was at it. Yhat bike has done a lot of sitting and that's not good for them.

Also we need pics of any new bikes to the forum :rulez:

Thanks for the replies and the fuel pump/filter suggestion. Based on what I've read, I was planning to address those issues regardless. Could be a bad pump, who knows. Anyway, here's a couple of pics.

Thanks.
Chuck S.

99 Hayabusa - 1.jpg

99 Hayabusa - 10.jpg

Awesome looking bike!! lots of yrs remaing to ride this bad boy. The issue you described could be related to fuel pump or TPS, Check TPS first and see if it's aligned in the middle. They tend to jump at times, replace them if possible.

Also download the workshop manual.

I had a similar problem on 2000 model busa, infact I too had created a similar thread. Well my issue was sorted after I had got the fuel tank, injectors and fuel filter cleaned, my fuel pump was fine hence did not replace it. But after doing this basic clean up she runs super smooth. Hopefully your problem should also be sorted just by doing a basic clean up.
Cheers

Thanks for all the responses. I've ordered a new pump from Hamilton Motorsports and will go through the fuel system once it arrives. Will keep the board posted on my results.
Thanks.
Chuck S.

So thought I'd give an update to the forum. I finally got around to going through the whole fuel system on my '99. New fuel hoses, filters, screens, etc. I also ordered and installed a Hamilton Motorsports fuel pump. Can't say what the actual cause of my issues was or what the specific fix was, but the bike runs great now. No more stalling, no surging, no issues idling, etc. Finally runs like it should. Thanks to all that replied with suggestions. I appreciate your help.

Chuck S.

Back