New to me 08 stumbles at 7000 rpm?

Buckaroo

Registered
I just bought this 2008 Hayabusa and I notice it stumbles at about 7000 RPM and higher. It has aftermarket exhaust Yosh and no performance module so I’m wondering if it’s running too lean. The seller told me he had it un restricted and the dealer did some kind of adjustments to where the gear indicator is only showing fifth gear now as a result.

It’s a beautiful bike with only 4000 miles on it and it is mint condition the prior owner was 65 years old and it was just a showpiece.

Any ideas of what the dealership could’ve done to it to unrestricted it and why it’s stumbling? Thanks

0A7B59E3-9203-455F-8B28-81ADEBC1B32C.jpeg

#CleanAllFilters ~ #RemoveTRE ~ #ShortShift ~ #THEoRg *

Last edited:
I just bought this 2008 Hayabusa and I notice it stumbles at about 7000 RPM and higher. It has aftermarket exhaust Yosh and no performance module so I’m wondering if it’s running too lean. The seller told me he had it un restricted and the dealer did some kind of adjustments to where the gear indicator is only showing fifth gear now as a result.

It’s a beautiful bike with only 4000 miles on it and it is mint condition the prior owner was 65 years old and it was just a showpiece.

Any ideas of what the dealership could’ve done to it to unrestricted it and why it’s stumbling? Thanks

View attachment 1604555
Welcome,
They probably put an old model of a "G pack" in it. It is unrestricted due to the fact the the system thinks only 5 th gear is in. They make newer G packs where you dont have that issue anymore.
I have the same pipes as you and I can tell you its not the issue. They are just slip ons and you dont need a specific tune for them.
Sorry that I dont have an answer to your issue but I hoped it helped at least a bit!

I can't help with your problem but just had to say "welcome" and that's a beautiful machine you found! Hope you get her fixed soon

I had a TRE on my 08 , but it wasn’t one of the cheap ones. It was a Healteck , it kept the gear indicator, I had it soldered in so as not to short circuit. I had it dynoed and made best power in 5th gear mode, and tuned. It ran great , none of the problems you hear about. Good gas MPG, 191hp, 115tq. Flash was not available when I got it in 08, today it’s the way to go, so much more you can get with the flash. Good luck with your problem.

I suspect the fuel system needs servicing.
With low miles like it has, and now 10 years old, it’s been sitting for long periods.
Fuel goes bad when sitting like that, so the entire fuel system from the tank all the way to the injectors need looking at.
That would be the first place I would start looking anyway.
Welcome along and keep us posted on what you find.

If the bike has sat for quite sometime I’d start with fuel and the basics like check air filter and air pathways for clogging from spiderwebs, mice nest etc you never know.
You could also trying running some Seafoam through it and see what happens as a low cost option as well.

Only reads 5th gear because of old school TRE. Take that out, have ecu flashed.

Stumbles after 7k rpm because secondary injectors are clogged from the old man that never ran it up in the power band. Pull the rail and injectors out. Buy new o-rings and filter baskets for them. Power them with a 9 volt battery on an injector harness that you can buy on ebay for cheap. While the injector is powered, spray cleaner through them.

I suspect the fuel system needs servicing.
With low miles like it has, and now 10 years old, it’s been sitting for long periods.
Fuel goes bad when sitting like that, so the entire fuel system from the tank all the way to the injectors need looking at.
That would be the first place I would start looking anyway.
Welcome along and keep us posted on what you find.
I’m with kiwi. With that low miles, I would suspect restriction on the fuel system.

I’ve installed Power Commanders in bikes so I understand that process. When you say “flash the ecu” is this something the dealer can legally do and if so what kind of cost is this work? Thanks!

I’ve installed Power Commanders in bikes so I understand that process. When you say “flash the ecu” is this something the dealer can legally do and if so what kind of cost is this work? Thanks!
As mentioned above, Suzuki doesn’t do “flashes”, so you would have to send it to a shop. A couple of options amongst our site sponsors to get it done. As for @Kiwi Rider suspicions (and mine) on fuel system issues, here is a thread showing how bad fuel system can get on an older low miles busa.
Typical gen 2 injector self destruction. | Gen II Busa Information

Well I dumped 1/2 can of Sea Foam in the tank and took her out for some aggressive full throttle riding. It’s running probably more than 50% better. It still has a little bobble at 9k but is getting much stronger. We’ll see what happens!

Well I dumped 1/2 can of Sea Foam in the tank and took her out for some aggressive full throttle riding. It’s running probably more than 50% better. It still has a little bobble at 9k but is getting much stronger. We’ll see what happens!
I swear by seafoam I use it in everything I own that’s gas powered, I bet another dose after this tank may get it cleared/cleaned

I swear by seafoam I use it in everything I own that’s gas powered, I bet another dose after this tank may get it cleared/cleaned
My generator was hard to start and running rough (carb was gumming up) I threw SeaFoam in it and started it up, before too long I could hear the engine starting to smooth out and now it starts with one pull.

Love that stuff...

Back