New to Hayabusa from UK

robbiemcvee

Registered
Hello all, this looks like a great place to be...!!

I've had many bikes over the years (i currently have 6 in different states of repair). I've decided that a Hayabusa is for me, I've got a limited budget of £3000 (thats UK pounds) for a bike, im looking for some guidance on what i have found so far..

A 1999 busa with a 2004 engine fitted.. its fairly local to me, so its worth a look at least. What would you make of a bike with a replacement engine - what should i consider
A 1998 busa with 42k miles has a dent in the tank near to where the seat and the tank meet - is this a difficult fix?

Last thing - ive not ridden a Busa - used to have a GSXR750 srad that needed its neck ringing before it became comfortable.. whats the Busa like to ride, now im older and less wise, i'm looking for something a little more comfortable.

cheers all

Welcome to the oRg!!!

I don't know anything about a 1998 Busa; 1999 was the first model year unless there's something special in the UK I don't know about :dunno:

The Busa is easy enough to ride; I went from a the smallest Harley to my Busa 11 years ago, no issues. If you've been riding sport bikes, you'll have no issues at all. It's just a heavier bike, but I bet you'll love it.

Here in the U.S. there are so many options for used Busas with mostly original parts, even some nice finds like an older bike with very few miles at a great price. If you're comfy looking at bikes with complete motor replacements, that's fine. I'd be more comfy looking at something I know someone took great care of while they had it, but to each his/her own.

Hopefully others will chime in soon to help you more than I have ;) Good luck finding what best fits your needs :thumbsup:

Welcome to the oRg! As VABs stated, the 98 is not right or could be a typo, 99 was the first model year. If you get the 99 with 04 engine check to make sure it has the proper ECU, 32 bit compared to the 16bit of the original 99 ECU's. Also check to make sure they swapped the tanks, the 99 had an internal pump and filter that was a pain to maintain. Also check the subframe for cracks, the 99 had aluminum sub frames and were prone to issues from what I understand. :welcome:

they pretty much covered everything i know so i'll just say :welcome: to the board

ah - thank you very much for the welcome - i hope to be viewing one of the bikes after the weekend - im always a bit wary of engines that have been changed - good spot about the ECU .. thank you!!

Im looking forward to owning one, can wait to start riding (and modding)!

Whatever you end up buying, you have to post up pics! It's in the rule book :rulez: :)

:welcome: Welcome to the Org! Yes the Busa is a Great Bike, I rode a Honda CBR954RR before my Busa. I love my Busa, very sturdy bike. You will enjoy it. Your 750 srad you had you should be used to it! Just dont forget, Pics!!!!

made some progress - 2 guys didn't come back to me about their bikes.. was interested in a 2004, but that fell through,

Going to look at a 2002 with power commander and a Yoshi 4-1 exhaust.. is there anything special I need to check out on this setup?

Well - i got it... 9000 miles 2002, power commander 3, braided brake lines, wavey disks.. great condition.. loving it ..!

FB_IMG_14003490468975352.jpg

I'm going to change the indicators - can anyone reccomend a good replacement?

cheers all

Nice choice...i was going to recommend running away from the 2 bikes you mentioned.

Bike looks well, take it easy and get used to how the brakes feel....when in good shape the do work well enough but are prone to loosing bite because the caliper pistons stick easily.
I assume you want clear indicators...just search for used 05- or I used to have the cheap ones from Ebay and they worked fine.
Generally any Busa is a peach of a bike to ride and very easy to access the power, just be sure to get used to how its weight can dictate its handling.

OH YEAH......enjoy it, few bikes will ever get under your skin like a Busa...can't fault them overall.

well ive had the busa a year now and still loving it.. just bought some helibars and was looking at getting a rack and some buell pegs - turning into an old man eh...?

Back