New Tires

Racer 222

The rider formerly known as Howlin_Mad
Donating Member
Registered
Anyone else running a 180 rear on their busa?

Marc "Howlin Mad"

Hey Doc,
Haven't really had time to test them. I will on Monday at the track. Will take it easy for the first few sessions to get them broke in and then we'll see what happens.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

Went too 200 Michelin Pilot HPX rear.
let's talk about peg scraping?
I put the center stand on, which requires wings on the petals.
Talk about Fun, Fun, Fun !!!!!!

Went too 200 Michelin Pilot HPX rear.
let's talk about peg scraping?
I put the center stand on, which requires wings on the petals.
Talk about Fun, Fun, Fun !!!!!!
No peg scrapping here. I have the protek rear sets that raise the foot position 1" plus the dog bone change that raised the rear 2". I won't be dragging any parts anytime soon unless I lay the whole bike down. 200 is a fat tire. Does it slow down your turn in? That size was designed for drag guys wasn't it?

Marc "Howlin Mad"

I've had the 180 Metzler Sportec M1s and they are great!
It's becoming more popular to go with a narrower rear, for better flickability I would guess.
What kind of tire are you going with? 
See you at the track!!!

Perelli Diablo. Heard some good things about them so I thought I would give them a try.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

I stayed with the Bridgestone but went to a 200...I like the combination of hard and soft compound for the way I ride...I bet that 180 looks like a bicycle tire!!!
jump9.gif

It looks narrow because a wider tire will fit, but when you want to go from full lean on one side then flick it over to the other side, it's QUICK!

I stayed with the Bridgestone but went to a 200...I like the combination of hard and soft compound for the way I ride...I bet that 180 looks like a bicycle tire!!!  
jump9.gif
Don't worry Stunnah you will have a good luck at out small rear tires from "back there"
biggrin.gif

Marc "Howlin Mad"

I can't imagine a Busa EVER looking bad. Do you even notice the size diff?? Let us know about the turning improvement. I'm getting near reaplcement time already and seriously thinking about going smaller because SIZE DOES MATTER. I don't like my stock busa steering. Aren't smaller tires cheaper too? Thus I could buy a 'better' tire if that makes sense. OH OH OH and what about Busa weight on a smaller tire? Maybe it NEEDS larger for realistic wear characteristics. Let us know when you've logged some street time with them, m'kay?
smile.gif

Has anyone ran a AVON tire? Guys at some of the other sites swear by them (sport touring)...........

Marc - a bit off topic here, but a tyre question anyway -

heat up tire = better traction
slick = better traction

I am a smart guy and always did well in physics, etc...
It is warm out, been ridin for a while, and my back tire has no tread left. Why would I have LESS traction than when it was cooler and had tread?

Yesterday - almost all the way home, 102 outside, lost traction hittin 4th hard at 110mph....
Today - got sideways on me in a turn goin ta work...

What makes the tire more slippery when bald and hot? My instincts tell me it should have more traction.
rock.gif

P.S. Hittin the drag strip next Saturday with about 20 other busa's, and if this tire aint gonna stick, I need to know now, so it can get replaced before the event.
Thanks Howlin!

Good question Cache, inquiring mindz would like to now anybody, anybody?

It has alot to do with the thickness of material left in the tire contact path. Yes, slick (no tread) tires should give a greater contact patch. But, there ability to perform is limited just like their groved/treaded counterparts. As a tire wears several things start to happen and most won't benefit the rider............. Basically, the greater the wear the less performance one will get from any Tire (slick/grooved).

Read here and it'll all make sense...........

http://boson.physics.sc.edu/%7Erjones/phys101/tirefriction.html

http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/frictiontraction.htm

Your answer lies here

http://www.miata.net/sport/Physics/07-Circle.html

Heres a summary guys.........

The soft compound of the tire is composed of not just a special formula of rubber, but of some traction-aiding chemicals as well. How do you get these chemicals active? That's the fun part. If you have ever seen the Pros on TV smoking the tires half off, then youUve seen a burnout. To do a burnout, you back the car up into a designated area called the burnout box which has been sprayed with water. You tap the gas to spin the tires over in the water, and then pull out just onto the dry asphalt. You hold the brake and crank it up to 5,000 rpm in first gear. This spins the tires hard, and as the water starts to dry off, the slicks start to heat up. As soon as the white smoke starts to come off them, they are as hot as they are going to get, and you let off the brake and approach the starting line. Heating the slicks releases some of the chemicals, and the tires become sticky to the touch. This sure doesn't make them last any longer, but consistent traction is a key to winning races. As I mentioned before, not heating the tires is going to lead to traction deficiency, but over-heating the tires can do the same. If too many of the chemicals are released and get too hot, they can actually make the tire slippery.

I am wondering what effect the generic ROAD surface has on the heating/chemical/rubber/slicks physics? I know a track works different than a road.
rock.gif

I always thought 180's contact patch would be too small for a busa's power/weight. Yes it maybe easier to corner. But can you throw on the power going straight? I know with 190's going straight I can make the rear slip pretty easy.

Instead of going to a smaller tire, I just went to a tire that has better turning characteristics. The Dunlop 208s are a great turning tire. I'd recommend those to anyone that is looking for more flickablity...it sure as hell helped me from the 207's I once used.

Marc - a bit off topic here, but a tyre question anyway -

heat up tire = better traction
slick = better traction

I am a smart guy and always did well in physics, etc...
It is warm out, been ridin for a while, and my back tire has no tread left. Why would I have LESS traction than when it was cooler and had tread?

Yesterday - almost all the way home, 102 outside, lost traction hittin 4th hard at 110mph....
Today - got sideways on me in a turn goin ta work...

What makes the tire more slippery when bald and hot? My instincts tell me it should have more traction.  
rock.gif

P.S. Hittin the drag strip next Saturday with about 20 other busa's, and if this tire aint gonna stick, I need to know now, so it can get replaced before the event.
Thanks Howlin!
What KS said and also heat cycles. A tire can only heat up and cool down so many times. If you have worn the tread off a tire I think you have expired its life. So when it gets hot it is just falling apart (getting greasy) not getting sticky.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

I like to think that the engineers who made this bike work on that point and if they choose to put 190 tyres it is maybe that in the way this bike was "created" it would be the thing to do.
The Hayabusa will never be the best bike when it started to turn, (even if you can go really fast) but when the curves are approaching it's time to say bye bye !!!!

And for this you need really good tyres ....

"If you have worn the tread off a tire I think you have expired its life."
This is so true and that's why next week I'm gone try the diablo which are made for the Busa.
V

Back