New tire...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Had a new Metzler M-3 Sportec rear tire put on today. Rode about 1 mile before getting on the freeway to head home and damn was it squirrely, just in a straight line (70-80 mph).

I don't recall this happening w/ the stock BT56. Is this because the M-3 likely has a taller more oval arch profile vs. the rounder BT56?

Looks taller but the BT56 was so flat before replacing.

I'd wait until at least 200 miles on it and then see how it feels. If you feel unsafe maybe swap it for something else. Let us know
beerchug.gif

(Over_Easy @ Jan. 19 2007,11:34) Had a new Metzler M-3 Sportec rear tire put on today.  Rode about 1 mile before getting on the freeway to head home and damn was it squirrely, just in a straight line (70-80 mph).

I don't recall this happening w/ the stock BT56.  Is this because the M-3 likely has a taller more oval arch profile vs. the rounder BT56?

Typical for new shoes...you just went from a real fat "straight-up" contact patch to a real skinny one...and yes...the M3's more than likely have a real steep profile as compared to the bridgestones...for quicker, more agressive turn-in....run the psi a couple pounds light until ya scuff'em in.

JMHO and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

i recall feelin the same way when i bolted the pilot powers on , i even went back home and pulled the wheel to make sure i did it right , twice !

Thanks fellas, it's my first replacement tire (Rookie!!!).  I figured it was just the taller, more sporty, new tire compared to the rounder run of the mill BT56.

I took it on a popular back road around the house and immediately noticed how much easier it was to control in and out of the turns.  Can't wait until I get it completely scrubbed in.

Yep--I've had 2 sets on my '06 and they always feel Squirrley until broken in. Can be real "slippery" at first so be careful!

When I went to the Pirelli Diablos It didn't really feal squirrely to me, just more nimble

Worst tires I ever felt when new were Dunlops ! Felt like I was riding on ball bearings
SHOCKED.gif
, really unstable. BUT, that all left after about 200 miles ! I guess
wink.gif
 it needed scuffed in and the new goop worn off that they put on new tires for preservation purposes .

Do you still have a BT56 up front? That would also make the handling feel wierd.

If it feels slippery its because they have a coating still on them that takes 50-100 miles to scrub off.

If it feels tipsy, its because you probably wore out the center of your last rear tire and made a plateau big enough you may not have needed a kickstand when you stop
laugh.gif

If it feels slippery and tipsy, then its both of the above
biggrin.gif

Spray a clean rag down with brake clean and wipe down the tire. It'll get rid of alot of the release agent.

(Over_Easy @ Jan. 19 2007,18:23) Thanks fellas, it's my first replacement tire (Rookie!!!). I figured it was just the taller, more sporty, new tire compared to the rounder run of the mill BT56.

I took it on a popular back road around the house and immediately noticed how much easier it was to control in and out of the turns. Can't wait until I get it completely scrubbed in.
give me a shout ... we'll go get it broken in ... I am up for a ride ANY time from now on ....

You are also undoubtedly feeling the effects of the altogether different profiles/compounds of the M3/BT56 combo. When I switched to the M3's I did both at once and now have a perfect BT56 (2900 miles it's hardly even scuffed) front tire in reserve for a backup. Your braver than I to mix brands like that though. I currently am running the M3 front and Z6 rear but they have very similar profiles and I actually like the ride so far! I could never go back to the BT56's though!

Check your wheel alignment? Perfectly aligning your wheels will definately improve the way your scooter handles. The marks on the swingarm are rarely absolute. The string line doesn't lie.

(tinbender0 @ Jan. 19 2007,19:18) I don't think the goop is a preservative, I think its mold release.
+ 1 Wax release on the new tires. Either stage your bike and smoke the tire while leaning it side to side,  scuff'em up lightly with a strip wheel using a drill and rotating the tire on a rear stand or put some miles on the tires (200 mi). But remember, riding on straight roads only removes the release agent mainly from the flat contact surfaces area on the tires and not the side area when your getting down into a turn.
Personally  I use a brown wood strip wheel attached to my handdrill and scuff the whole tire from  both edges of the rim lip.

The strip wheel can be purchased at Lowes Or Home Depot. Heres a photo of a strip wheel I used to smooth the machine grooves on my stock muffler.

Polishedmuffler1-1.jpg

(Over_Easy @ Jan. 19 2007,14:34) Had a new Metzler M-3 Sportec rear tire put on today.  Rode about 1 mile before getting on the freeway to head home and damn was it squirrely, just in a straight line (70-80 mph).

I don't recall this happening w/ the stock BT56.  Is this because the M-3 likely has a taller more oval arch profile vs. the rounder BT56?

With out reading one post .

It is because it is a new, slick, unbroken in tire.

What makes you think you can defy the laws of physics.

Go rollin it down the road like a sidewinder rattler for 60 miles, then juice it.

(JINKSTER @ Jan. 20 2007,07:05)
(Over_Easy @ Jan. 19 2007,11:34) Had a new Metzler M-3 Sportec rear tire put on today.  Rode about 1 mile before getting on the freeway to head home and damn was it squirrely, just in a straight line (70-80 mph).

Typical for new shoes...you just went from a real fat "straight-up" contact patch to a real skinny one...and yes...the M3's more than likely have a real steep profile as compared to the bridgestones...for quicker, more agressive turn-in....run the psi a couple pounds light until ya scuff'em in.

JMHO and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
+1

But profile does have a lot to do with it. It won't feel as 'nervous' as you put on the miles. But if you ever get the chance to take it into the canyons, you'll love how quick they'll respond and how nimble she is.

Back