New Tire Search

Jbaby1969

Registered
I’ve been out of the riding scene for years now. Is it the general consensus that the Road 5 tires are a good all around tire? Most of my riding is commuting to and from work. 80 miles round trip. My main concern is wet cornering traction as the route that I take to work has some pretty good roads but it’s usually at night or early morning when the roads are damp.

1. You're in the same state as I am so there lies a chance you can see mine firsthand.

2. I use PR5s on my Gen 2. I average 30k a year and that is rain or shine hot or cold. My commute is 55 miles one way. I'll never use any other tire.

3. I have a post somewhere on a full review of the PR5s on here. It lists mileage and even dimensions of the tires new and old.

+1
...especially if your riding conditions and mileage mirrors GAmedic's.

I used to have a similar commute: 50 mi each way, rain or shine, nearly all of it freeway although down here rain is not as frequent. Ran PR5s. When my commute shrank to <5 mi/day and only a single 100 mi run a week, I switched to Q3+, knowing they were a stickier tire, and probably not as long lasting. Merely a personal choice, and Michelins, in my opinion, are always a good choice.

Wet traction: You'll find tons of experts on YT explaining wet traction motorcycle dynamics (like this one), but my wet riding is neither improved nor reduced by tire choice nearly as much as it is affected by riding style and tire pressure.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I'll add that I vary my tire pressure based on the application: higher (around 40 psi) for freeway commutes, something closer to 33 for the fun stuff.

Looks like Michelins are the route I will take. Thanks for the info! Now comes the least fun part.....insurance quotes.

Pilot Road 5's wheelie in the rain ;) in this video Pilot road 's were on front / rear . The Rear had been to California , and back already . Current rear millage is 6,700 , and still chugging along.

re insurance. For what it is worth If anyone in the house hold is a college or university grad make sure you tell them that. It saved me 1600 bucks on my Busa insurance alone

Am going to be getting a new set of boots for the Busa shortly. I am running Bridgestone S21Rs now and am going to the S22R as I have had good luck with the S21s, they wear good and stick like nobody's business.

I also like the feed back they give when leaned over.

With your style of riding I’d think you’d prefer the multi compound long mileage, sticky in the corners and in the wet, Michelin PRs?

With your style of riding I’d think you’d prefer the multi compound long mileage, sticky in the corners and in the wet, Michelin PRs?
I know many others use the PR5s...I will also check them out. The S22Rs are multi compound and sticky in the wet and corners as well..

It might just come down to which one can be had for the best price.

I know many others use the PR5s...I will also check them out. The S22Rs are multi compound and sticky in the wet and corners as well..

It might just come down to which one can be had for the best price.

Remember that Michelin also makes a 2, 3 and 4 in the PR series. They’re all multi compound touring tires with hard centers and soft sides and relatively better wet road grip. To me the higher numbers are too expensive compared to the 2s or 3s.

Remember that Michelin also makes a 2, 3 and 4 in the PR series. They’re all multi compound touring tires with hard centers and soft sides and relatively better wet road grip. To me the higher numbers are too expensive compared to the 2s or 3s.
We put 3s on my son's bike and he likes them..

I've been running Battlax tires for so long, I've never run anything else.

Don't tour and won't ever probably , not on the Busa anyway . I ride in corners first mate , so I choose par for course , love these tires on my roads of choice .

I had Pilot Powers on my Ducati 999 cause all I ever did with it was ride the mountain corners 2-4 hours at a time. Very sticky tires. My CBXs went thru rears around 4-5000 miles and I tried several brands over the years with the same results. Problem with them was the extremely skinny 18” wheels and 120 size tires. To go with say a 160 I’d have to change the swingarm! I usually get 8,000+ out of the center of a rear PR on the Busa and the softer sides do well in the corners.

I had Pilot Powers on my Ducati 999 cause all I ever did with it was ride the mountain corners 2-4 hours at a time. Very sticky tires. My CBXs went thru rears around 4-5000 miles and I tried several brands over the years with the same results. Problem with them was the extremely skinny 18” wheels and 120 size tires. To go with say a 160 I’d have to change the swingarm! I usually get 8,000+ out of the center of a rear PR on the Busa and the softer sides do well in the corners.
Well the RS10's are perfect for my style of riding so far , maybe the Pirelli top of the line could be even better , I certainly like the Pirelli's currently fitted to the ZX14 , the SC3 , but funnily didn't like them at all on the Busa . The Busa responds so well to the RS10's , I am reluctant to search elsewhere for the possibility of better .

Back