New Tire Highside

Kent! Sorry to hear this ...
sad.gif
glad you wernt at high speed...

Glad you avoided serious injury to both yourself and the bike. I live about 1/2 mile off the highway, and I've made it a point to take all new tires directly to the highway for a 50 mile 80mph+ ride. When I'm done the heat from the tires has taken care of the film that is on the new tires. I had a lowside in the spring on a brand new tire that happened almost exactly as yours did only I was mid turn in my subdivision at about 20 mph. I felt the back go, but held the throttle steady, for fear of a highside. It all happened in a millisecond, but its amazing how much thinking I had in the split second.

Glad you're ok.

I just got a new set of 208s, that's all I ride with. I get a 3M scrubber and scrub the tires Every time I get new ones. You're right about them being hard when they're cold. I rode home the other day and it was 35 deg, and they feel hard and a little slippery. Never had frost in my seat before.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I do appreciate the post however, and I for one will be that much more careful on my next set of new rubber.

Sorry about the high-side ksheldon
sad.gif
Glad to hear it was low speed and you made it out okay. Thanks for the warning, because with winter upon us, we all need to be more carefull.

Good luck finding some donor parts. Give it some time, and I'm sure some of the guys will help out.

Never heard that the dunlops were highside prone. I usually recommend that a rider do a 100 to 200 miles on a tire before they get to aggressive. Get the tire through a good heat cycle or two before going all out. I hear lots about tires but haven't heard that about dunlops. I don't run them but have heard mostly positive talk.

Never heard that the dunlops were highside prone. I usually recommend that a rider do a 100 to 200 miles on a tire before they get to aggressive. Get the tire through a good heat cycle or two before going all out. I hear lots about tires but haven't heard that about dunlops. I don't run them but have heard mostly positive talk.
Nah man, we were just bein' smart asses in reference to all the hype about Pilot Powers snappin' at the edge. It was meant as smart ass humor. There's really not a (known?) problem with Dunlops bein' any more highside prone than anything else available. Of course we could prolly start postin' that and before long you'd see posts all over the net by folks who "knew this guy" or "knows a buncha racers" who highsided on a new set of Dunlops and he wasn't even on the gas, or some shid like that.
biggrin.gif

Glad you're OK ksheldon. People do laugh, but I always use sandpaper on my new tires. Hasn't steered me wrong yet. I first sand the tire with sandpaper, then I use this degreaser agent called "Mean Green" to get off excess or ground in oil (whatever this stuff is they put on the tire). This material is, from what I understand, used as a sort-of preservative for the rubber. Supposed to help keep it from dry-rotting or some shiite like that.

Glad you're OK ksheldon. People do laugh, but I always use sandpaper on my new tires. Hasn't steered me wrong yet. I first sand the tire with sandpaper, then I use this degreaser agent called "Mean Green" to get off excess or ground in oil (whatever this stuff is they put on the tire). This material is, from what I understand, used as a sort-of preservative for the rubber. Supposed to help keep it from dry-rotting or some shiite like that.

What's with all the double tappin' lately there bacharles?
rock.gif

Guys,

Thanks for all the well wishes! The road was dry - its just that it was a cold morning and the "mold release" was still on the tires and they truly were like being on ice since they had "zero" miles. I couldn't believe how quick it happened.

I just wanted to post this so everyone can be extra careful on new rubber.

I am trying to decide if I want to paint the bike or just buy new panels and replace them.

Ride Safe

Kent

Glad to hear your OK. No matter how careful you are. Sometimes sh@t happens, glad you were aware and were riding slow.

I got an eery feeling as I was reading your post because the same thing happened to me on Saturday. First crash I've had since Dec 6th 1986. New tire, cold morning (35 degrees), two-blocks from house. Pulling out from a stop sign and slow right-hand curve (still in 1st). Bike started to slide out, I tried to hang on to it but she kept on slippin till I busted my a#!..... and my fairing.....and my tail section....and broke my heart!!!! Now I need a few parts and a paint job. When I bought this bike it had been dropped on the left side. I got all that fixed up and now I drop it on the right side! Hopefully now she has been down both ways, I can keep her shiny side up. AFTER I get her shiny side fixed AGAIN! Glad you weren't hurt ksheldon. I got a few bruises and a broken heart!! Thank god for good gear (no road rash)!

I always take a piece of sand paper to new tires. Just a little roughing up, especially on the sides. It helps to get the glaze off.

The reason tires are slippery when new is due to the compound used to make them release from the mold. Just something you have to deal with. I tried the 208's out on a busa a couple years ago and found them to be very slippery when cold. I could easily spin them in any gear when cold and they seem to take a while to warm up? I only ran out one set and never trid them again.
I told you to get the powers.
smile.gif

I just took a scotchbrite pad, some dish soap and water, roughed up the surface of my new tires. Seemed to work well, gets all the mold release lube off and makes a sticky surface that you can't help but try and dig your fingernails in to...there was a dramatic change from the stock tires to the diablo corsa's. From the corsa's to the M1's, about the same feel. Almost went with 208's, I like the look but not nearly as soft and sticky as the M1's. The M1's look pretty cool too, and I like the "whirring" noise they make!

Back