New Tire Blues

Big Red

Donating Member
Registered
I bought a pair of BT-021'S for the Busa last week but didn't have time to break them in. So After putting up a wooden fence in the morning I decided to take the bike out and get at least 100 miles on them. After about 130 miles I was feeling more confident about them so I started leaning the bike a little more aggessively in the corners---no problem. I stopped for gas and then started to get on the freeway; when I hit second the back tire spun up on me. My other tires have never done that. I think I made a very bad tire choice. Anybody else have this problem with the dual compound tires?

Should have purchased Michelin Power Race tires  
banghead.gif

banghead.gif

banghead.gif

banghead.gif

banghead.gif

I had the OEMs do that to me a few times.

Positive you didn't have oil or gas on your tires when you left the station?

I run Avon Storms. I've had it happen in cold weather if I get on it without letting the tires come up to temp, but never on a warm tire.

Red, I just had the 21's installed and have about 50 miles on them so far. I have tried to get them to spin, but I have to be really agressive to get it to turn over. I purchased them because of the dual compound. I will keep you posted if I have any issues with them, but so far I am really happy with my purchase.
beerchug.gif

Every different make or brand tire I have ever run, has broken out on me at some point.
firedevil.gif

Just always be ready for it so you don't highside when it hooks back up again.
cool.gif

The outside temp was in the high 60's and the tires had several warm up miles on them. I stopped long enough to get gas. I didn't even give it full throttle when the back tire broke came loose. I am more concerned with braking than wheel spin.

you use the rear for braking? ...hmmm

....and you guys must either be sub 200lbs or riding with yer nutz on the tank...because I have NEVER had any brand break loose under normal acceleration.
try sitting further back in your seat and duplicate it...

most likely tho...you had something on your tire from the gas station.

if you dislike the tire remove it and ship it to me
cool.gif
the 21s have had some decent reviews (for bridgestones)

you use the rear for braking?  ...hmmm

....and you guys must either be sub 200lbs or riding with yer nutz on the tank...because I have NEVER had any brand break loose under normal acceleration.

cool.gif
160 lbs and if I dont hug the tank I cant reach the grips.

you use the rear for braking? ...hmmm

cool.gif
Bet you 10 to 1 it was something on the ground at the gas station. Too easy to happen, and never see.

I bought a pair of BT-021'S for the Busa last week but didn't have time to break them in. So After putting up a wooden fence in the morning I decided to take the bike out and get at least 100 miles on them. After about 130 miles I was feeling more confident about them so I started leaning the bike a little more aggessively in the corners---no problem. I stopped for gas and then started to get on the freeway; when I hit second the back tire spun up on me. My other tires have never done that. I think I made a very bad tire choice. Anybody else have this problem with the dual compound tires?
thanks for the 1st impressions report...i'm out on the 21's...i'll stick with my dunlop quali's for now...and?...through the spring bash.
biggrin.gif

you use the rear for braking?  ...hmmm

cool.gif
I always use both front and rear brakes. My concern is for both tires during hard braking. I have had my Busa for four years and you can get a pretty good feel for how the bike behaves in that amount of time.

I use the rear brake when I am sitting on my driveway waiting for the garage door to go up (incline) and I am yanking off gloves etc.. Had the back apart today and the brakes are probably 90% or better at 13K

Back