New street legal 'Busa land speed record

mcoyote

Registered
I hope this isn't a repeat, but here goes...

- - - - -

Suzuki Hayabusa Streetbike Clocked At 251 MPH In Texas

From a press release issued by Scott Guthrie:

Scott Guthrie, at age 59-3/4 an aging road racer for sure, slammed Rich Yancy's street legal Suzuki Hayabusa hard through the 250 MPH barrier, to a final official record speed of 251.148 MPH. That's the fastest speed ever recorded for a streetbike, and the fastest record in history for what land speed racers call an "open wheel bike," and the track record.

Guthrie's big speed came on his final run Sunday 1 AUG 04 at the TEXAS MILE top speed race (www.texasmile.com) near Goliad, TX. The 251.148 MPH terminal speed was after a standing-start mile run to the timing trap. Guthrie said "With the wind coming up, and the day getting warmer, I knew that run was going to be the only chance in my life to break the 250 MPH barrier. The run before was a 248 MPH time, so I knew the bike was ready. I just had to put down the best pass of my life to get the record."

Rich Yancy, an engine man for Dale Earnhardt Inc, trucked his daily ride bike from his home in Charlotte NC to Texas for just this meet, at Guthrie's insistance. "This is the best paved Land Speed Racing track available in the USA, and I knew we had to go there to have any real chance for this record. My agreement to ride for Rich was up Sunday evening, so this was it," Guthrie allowed later. "I knew the bike was capable of that speed, I just had to be the one to ride it."

Before Guthrie took over the fast seat, builder Yancy himself made a track-record run of 244.358 MPH. "It is so confidence inspiring that Rich is willing to build and tune the bike, prepare it and deliver it to the track by himself. And then he sets the track record himself, and hands me the keys! I just KNEW the bike was safe, fast, and would run straight." Guthrie glowed, "How many tuners will do that for their riders? Rich is a quiet genius with the bike, and one of the world's best land speed racers, in his own right."

Yancy's bike is almost standard in appearance, with stock appearing bodywork and tank, stock forks, stock wheelbase, and full street equipment. The big difference is the addition of a MR TURBO turbo kit, which has been extensively modified by Yancy, including a VERY trick Yancy designed -and-built intercooler. No skinny thing, the bike weighs in at full standard curb weight.

"This bike is so docile off the throttle, you get no idea about the power on tap. Rich told me he was going to ride it to work when he got home, and show it off to his friends at the job." Guthrie said. In addition to building the record setting Hayabusa, Yancy had a hand in building the engine for this years' winner of the NASCAR Daytona 500.

Congrats.

I have 2 questions, maybe somebody can help me...

1. Is ther a picture of this bike somewhere?
2. What tires did he use, brand, compound & size.

Best regards
/ Hittis

I have Found some pics of the bike.
Still need to know what kind of tires he used.
Brand & compound.

Regards Hittis

I would like to know where landspeed larry is with his project 260
rock.gif
?

That bike looked like it would do 260... did it?

That is a beautiful bike and put together by one of the great builders.

I have Found some pics of the bike.
Still need to know what kind of tires he used.
Brand & compound.

Regards Hittis
I believe they are no longer using race slicks. They were getting a shake at high speeds with them so they switched back to DOT approved tires.

I don't know the brand but if you email Lee @ http://www.leesperformance.com/index.php

He rode and did some of the tuning on the previous record run and should be able to tell you. Go to the link and scroll to the bottom of the page for more pics.

Josh
blues.gif

Back