New Steering Bearing - Is This Installed Correctly?

Kat600

Registered
Hey everybody, I was hoping someone could help out. I had the front end of my 03 busa apart to rebuild the forks and decided to replace the OEM bearings with All Balls tapered bearings while I had everything apart. When installing the new bearings, I had the triple tree in the freezer overnight and heated up the bearings in the oven to 170F hoping they would drop right on... Well, they unfortunately didn't, so I used the OEM race along with a hammer and brass drift to install the new bearing.

I'm at the point now where the new bearing doesn't seem to want to get any closer to the triple tree and there is a very small gap between the dust seal and the triple tree. My question is, does this tapered bearing need to be pressed tight against the triple tree? If so, I'll just get a matching sized pipe and either hammer it on the rest of the way or get a long bolt with nuts and washers to press it on with the pipe.

Any help would be appreciated, especially if anyone has changed over to tapered bearings. I know the OEM bearing race was pressed tight to the stem, but the bearing sat on top of the race itself. I put the OEM race and bearing next to the tapered race and the OEM bearing seemed to sit at the halfway point of the tapered bearing. Not sure if that means anything or not. :)

IMG00349-20120302-1522.jpg

Bumpity Bump! I know quite a few people have changed over to these bearings... Any chance that one of you is on the board today reading this thread? :) Thanks in advance for the help.

Well, talk about bringing my old post back from the dead. :devil: I am about to disassemble the steering stem to clean and repack the bearings. Does anyone have any advice on my post above? I haven't had any issues in the four years since I installed the bearings, but am still curious about the small gap between the bearing and the bottom of the triple tree.

Why not just put it in the press?
If it goes down further, then it does, if not, then that's as far as it's going.
I would think it should press on as far as the stock bearing.
I wouldn't trust a punch over a press to make sure any bearing or press fit part is properly seated.

Why not just put it in the press?
If it goes down further, then it does, if not, then that's as far as it's going.
I would think it should press on as far as the stock bearing.
I wouldn't trust a punch over a press to make sure any bearing or press fit part is properly seated.

I didn't have a press available at the time and I had seen people on other forums experience similar issues.

I was just curious to see if it happened to any other busa owners.

Press it on,, and FYI, tapered bearing DO Not get torqued like the oem Ball bearings

Tapered bearing are more a good feal, snug them up,
1/2 turn more, work them back and forth
back off a 1/4 turn
repeat several times, to make sure they are seated properly.
If they are too tight, the bike will handle like crap, un responsive, and grab lines in the road, trust me you will know!

back off a 1/4 turn
If they are too tight, the bike will handle like crap, un responsive, and grab lines in the road, trust me you will know!

Totally true, if they are too tight it won't allow the steering to "come back to center" on its own then you will start fighting it one side to another.
What I did with mine was to snug them up with a wrench until I felt they were seated and centered. Then backed it completely off. Using a hand grip only on the spanner, I started tightening them up until I could not feel the front end "clunk" when I moved the triple tree back and forth yanking on it at the bottom. It is a surprising little amount of torque. Then locked everything down.

Thanks for all of the info folks! The photo above was from 4 years ago and I resurrected it as I was going to clean and repack the bearings as I felt some resistance when going through corners. I found a small metal shaving in the top bearing and needless to say, I replaced the bearings. I took the steering stem to a shop this time and had them press it on and the gap is still there, so that makes me feel a bit better.

IMG_20160815_121454.jpg

back off a 1/4 turn

Brother can you please guide in detail how to tight taper bearing. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brother can you please guide in detail how to tight taper bearing. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Tapered bearing are more of a good feel, snug them up,
back off a 1/4 turn
If they are too tight, the bike will handle like crap, un responsive, and grab lines in the road, trust me you will know! "

"if they are too tight it won't allow the steering to "come back to center" on its own then you will start fighting it one side to another.
What I did with mine was to snug them up with a wrench until I felt they were seated and centered. Then backed it completely off. Using a hand grip only on the spanner, I started tightening them up until I could not feel the front end "clunk" when I moved the triple tree back and forth yanking on it at the bottom. It is a surprising little amount of torque. Then locked everything down. "

There ya go, there's some 'detail' for ya :rolleyes::laugh:

Back