New semester preparing for Net Admin Cert

Jay Willie

Donating Member
Registered
Calling all Net Administrators with educational information about course curriculum!

I've been setting myself up to go into some form of IT work since my July '09 off. I've moved through my first semester of gen ed's and now starting into focused course study. The local community college has a Net Admin Certification course laid out in a five semester plan. Since I've worked at an accelerated pace, I'm zeroed in on finishing up the spring of 2011.

Does anyone have any connections to any of the Staffkit educational software? More specifically the MCSE certification package? Or perhaps any other advice about this particular area of study?

Thanks in advance for all help and considerations!!

My instructor had a teaching access license to CBT Nuggets... if you are "visual", they rock... CBT Nuggets: Training for Cisco CCNA SQL MCSE VB.NET A+ Linux PMP & Many More IT Certification Exams!

If you need any work on network structure IP, subnet work etc..
Learn To Subnet:* A Free, Lecture-Based Presentation on IP Addressing and Subnetting

I had great success with both these sites..

I think you can buy the teaching guides right of Amazon (where I bought most of my text for college for the cert)

Good luck!!!

(I will check and see what I still have left if you like.. practice tests etc if you like)

Last edited:
Well the work laptop decided to eat itself last night while turned off so will be a day or so til I'm online w a confuser when I'm able I will look at what I have... Know I have something just can't recall what
Posted via Mobile Device

Just a few thing to remember... (Feel free to share these with your instructor)

1. Al Gore Invented the Internet.
2. IEEE manages all data on the Internet to verify all information is factual and true.
3. You can get away with anything on the Internet as everything is anonymous.

The rest is just gobbly gook

Thanks, MB! Good links with very helpful information. I appreciate it and will do more 'poking around' on them this weekend.

Dang it, Brian! I hate it when that happens. I do appreciate your input and just let me know if you come across something.

Most of what I'll be doing has to do with changing vocation (obviously). I'll have to admit it's a little challenging at my age (ain't tellin' so don't ask but definitely a charter member of the FOG). Scooter repair is so far on the back burner it ain't even cookin'. Hoping to be a contributor to the tax base again soon!

Thanks again for everyone's help, thoughts, etc. Have a Good un'! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Now Mr. Doug, are you trying to get me in trouble? :laugh: I do pretty good on my own without outsider encouragement!

...but me thinks you already know that...:whistle: :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Just a few thing to remember... (Feel free to share these with your instructor)

1. Al Gore Invented the Internet.
2. IEEE manages all data on the Internet to verify all information is factual and true.
3. You can get away with anything on the Internet as everything is anonymous.

The rest is just gobbly gook

:lol:

Jay,
You may be better off knocking out a cert at a tech school like ITT Tech, or something similar. Heck there are one and two week boot camps out in India that guarantee a pass. The truth is that most of the stuff you need to know wil be learned on the job. Yes, you should have a handle on the fundamentals but the commands and nuances will be specific to each job. That is what you pick with OJT/On The Job training. Dive in headfirst and you will see that your learning rate will accelerate. I am considering a lateral into NetAd and will probably do it with a bootcamp sourced cert just to get in the door then I'll expand my knowledge there.

hey, PJ! Great advice and I do appreciate it. Seems like around these parts people want to see you wave a little paper before they let you in the door and for some reason, something a little more than just a line with a name and a little gold leaf seal. I don't get it, but that's how they roll. Maybe if I move to a bigger city or an area with a larger employee base....

My main concern (for now) is to try and find course curriculum (or similar) that will let me 'officially' participate for transcript credit (very limited budget).

And then there's that, "If you can't dazzle 'em w/diamonds, baffle 'em w/bs...":laugh:

I guess for rural central USA they're a whole lot more critical about that kinda stuff. Thanks, my busa bro! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

hey, PJ! Great advice and I do appreciate it. Seems like around these parts people want to see you wave a little paper before they let you in the door and for some reason, something a little more than just a line with a name and a little gold leaf seal. I don't get it, but that's how they roll. Maybe if I move to a bigger city or an area with a larger employee base....

My main concern (for now) is to try and find course curriculum (or similar) that will let me 'officially' participate for transcript credit (very limited budget).

And then there's that, "If you can't dazzle 'em w/diamonds, baffle 'em w/bs...":laugh:

I guess for rural central USA they're a whole lot more critical about that kinda stuff. Thanks, my busa bro! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

I understand your predicament. Have you looked into funding for retraining at the unemployment office? I have heard that they may be some of the easiest to get retrained through. I knew a guy that got through trucking school and small computer/A+ at the expense of the unemployment office.

Back