New Radiator Installed (Coolant?) Experts Please!

PJ267

Registered
I just had new radiator (old one caught a rock small leak). The dealer installed new radiator. After I got home, once the bike cooled down I checked the coolant level and it was at low so I filled it to high thru the resovior tank to high line. Next day I went for a ride and I checked the coolant later that night when the bike was cool and level was at low again. So this happened 2-days in a row, nothing leaking and I checked thru the site glass at oil and looks fine (just being careful. Is the level being lowered these few days because of air? Is there something I should worry about or is this normal after a new radiator was installed. I think the dealer just filled through the radiator and not the resv. tank. Thanks for the help.

If there's no leaks then you're fine. Just like you stated the dealer probably only added fluid through the radiator. Make sure the bike is level and monitor your resouviar tank while cool.

could of had a air pocket in it, that the dealer didnt burp out, just keep it checked

Thanks I already had to fill the level twice, hopefully its almost there! I think the manual says to fill and check on side stand?

Yup, sounds like residual air to me. I'd keep an eye on her after every ride. Honestly though, I doubt you'll have to add much (if any) more water.

D

did it 3 days in a row a couple of ounces, I'm hoping it stops, oil through site galss looks fine and no leak, so it probably still air!

Have you tried rocking the bike side to side (per the manual) for clearing out air in the system? Just run the bike for about 3 minutes with the radiator cap on to "BURP" the system

it's possible man, in my old srt, i had some major overheating issues after a forged shortblock was put in, the bastards didn't burp it, and i ended up blowing the headgasket. once i replaced it and burped the coolant, no biggie anymore.

To burp the system do you mean run bike with radiator cap off for 3 minutes? Doesn't the radiator burp itself, eventually? thanks

go out and pat your baby on the rear seat she should burp for you then add more life juice

Back